3.8L excessive oil consumption - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 3.8L excessive oil consumption

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 05-07-2011, 01:19 AM   #31
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hey Ronjenx, if the vin of the whole JEEP indicates it was assembled in Toledo, what are the chances the motor was too?

Μολὼν λαβέ
TheRealKTrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2011, 02:22 AM   #32
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain View Post
Hey Ronjenx, if the vin of the whole JEEP indicates it was assembled in Toledo, what are the chances the motor was too?
No idea. You have to see the engine number.

When I looked for mine, it took some cleaning of the area, and some faith it was there. The first few times I looked, I would have given up if I didn't know better.
ronjenx is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #33
gjuarez3
2008 JK Wrangler 

Funny, I was just going to start a thread on this. I went to change my oil yesterday and it only had a quart left. I changed it at 3250 miles. I will check with the dealership next week. The gentlemen at the shop did say that its a common thing for the Jk's he services
gjuarez3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #34
Bwgas
2007 JK Wrangler 

Whats this no. Tpte1170700435---701 and the second no. Just below p04666701aa. 38 jk. AA. It's on a bar code on Left side valve cover as you face the engine.
Bwgas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #35
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjuarez3 View Post
Funny, I was just going to start a thread on this. I went to change my oil yesterday and it only had a quart left. I changed it at 3250 miles. I will check with the dealership next week. The gentlemen at the shop did say that its a common thing for the Jk's he services
When the engine starts to knock, that is normal as well! Chrysler ... what joke.

Ours is ABOVE 1 quart per thousand miles. Still within the normal range.
Unread 05-07-2011, 10:17 PM   #36
forewheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

I understand that other makes and models may consume oil, burn oil, leak oil and what have you. This isn't my first Jeep either. It's my 7th! I know nothings perfect but when at 24k I go in for an oil change and find out the dipstick doesn't show any oil and I ask what's leaking, I don't expect to find out my engine is consuming a quart of oil per 1000 miles. (and this is acceptable) I don't believe this is normal. Oh where oh where is that 4.0L? I've done some research and now (this thread included) I find I'm not the only one with a concern. I bought this Jeep (2008 JK) brand new. I would expect Chrysler/Jeep to stand behind their product like many of the other companies would. Especially when I only "had" 24k miles and started consuming oil. I've read that in most cases people have found the piston rings were installed wrong, is this the answer? Would it hurt Chrysler to look into it? I've also read the wrong tolerances for the pistons themselves could be a cause. Whatever the case, oil is being consumed in my Jeep from practically new. It's hard for me to believe that Chrylser hasn't noticed anything odd. They offer a lifetime powertrain warranty and at some point they are going to be paying for this. Why not catch it in the early stages when it wouldn't cost them too much. Heck, tear down one JK consuming oil and figure out a repair. I'm not like most vehicle owners, I'll buy another Jeep! But if Chrysler is looking to stay afloat and competing with the imports, don't they want to retain the customers that would leave them over this?
I love my Jeep and all the others I've had before. I bleed Jeep. I just want a resolve. Sure, if I bought used and the previous owner never did a service I can expect issues. Please don't reply like I'm some nobody that should be driving some other brand. I've owned Jeeps since 1989. I've had my problems with them, just not this soon. You pay $34G you expect it to last, worry free, at least until the factory (3/36) warranty is up.
forewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2011, 11:16 PM   #37
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by forewheeler View Post
I understand that other makes and models may consume oil, burn oil, leak oil and what have you. This isn't my first Jeep either. It's my 7th! I know nothings perfect but when at 24k I go in for an oil change and find out the dipstick doesn't show any oil and I ask what's leaking, I don't expect to find out my engine is consuming a quart of oil per 1000 miles. (and this is acceptable) I don't believe this is normal. Oh where oh where is that 4.0L? I've done some research and now (this thread included) I find I'm not the only one with a concern. I bought this Jeep (2008 JK) brand new. I would expect Chrysler/Jeep to stand behind their product like many of the other companies would. Especially when I only "had" 24k miles and started consuming oil. I've read that in most cases people have found the piston rings were installed wrong, is this the answer? Would it hurt Chrysler to look into it? I've also read the wrong tolerances for the pistons themselves could be a cause. Whatever the case, oil is being consumed in my Jeep from practically new. It's hard for me to believe that Chrylser hasn't noticed anything odd. They offer a lifetime powertrain warranty and at some point they are going to be paying for this. Why not catch it in the early stages when it wouldn't cost them too much. Heck, tear down one JK consuming oil and figure out a repair. I'm not like most vehicle owners, I'll buy another Jeep! But if Chrysler is looking to stay afloat and competing with the imports, don't they want to retain the customers that would leave them over this?
I love my Jeep and all the others I've had before. I bleed Jeep. I just want a resolve. Sure, if I bought used and the previous owner never did a service I can expect issues. Please don't reply like I'm some nobody that should be driving some other brand. I've owned Jeeps since 1989. I've had my problems with them, just not this soon. You pay $34G you expect it to last, worry free, at least until the factory (3/36) warranty is up.
Nobody is actually saying it's normal. It can't be normal when most vehicles don't burn oil.
What is being said, especially by the dealers (of other makes, too) is they won't fix it under warranty until it reaches a certain level. Otherwise, auto makers would go broke (like they did for other reasons) fixing engines for the slightest oil consumption.
I'm not sticking up for them, but understand the line has to be drawn somewhere, and it's in the same place as it has been for the 43 years I've been paying attention to such things.

As to finding no oil on the stick at the oil change, I have to wonder why you weren't checking it on a regular basis.
Unread 05-07-2011, 11:39 PM   #38
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

this is almost as bad as the OPDA with the 05-06 TJs

Μολὼν λαβέ
Unread 05-08-2011, 12:04 AM   #39
cj5lovr
2009 JK Wrangler 

I had 33k on my 08 when I traded it in for my 09. Now my 09 has 25k on the clock. Neither of those vehicles leaked a drop between changes. I change the oil between 3k and 4k every time. Very rarely(but do it) I check the oil between changes. Hopefully I am one of the lucky ones. A tech at my local dealership says he has seem a couple 3.7l and 3.8l getting new engines.
cj5lovr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2011, 09:25 AM   #40
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
Nobody is actually saying it's normal. It can't be normal when most vehicles don't burn oil.
What is being said, especially by the dealers (of other makes, too) is they won't fix it under warranty until it reaches a certain level. Otherwise, auto makers would go broke (like they did for other reasons) fixing engines for the slightest oil consumption.
I'm not sticking up for them, but understand the line has to be drawn somewhere, and it's in the same place as it has been for the 43 years I've been paying attention to such things.

As to finding no oil on the stick at the oil change, I have to wonder why you weren't checking it on a regular basis.
We have been to TWO different dealers multiple times. The engine has an audible knock and it is not an exhaust manifold leak or lifter tick. It's "normal noise".

I'm almost tempted to save the used oil from it, drive it dry until it grenades and fill it back up. At least then, we can get the piece of mind from when it actually blows up and get something that we can trust.

My parents have bought multiple jeeps over the years. In fact, that's why I bought a jeep. I really like the JK but chrysler's lack of quality on it scares me away from buying one in 5-6 years.
Unread 05-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #41
forewheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Why would I feel the need to check my oil between services? I've never had to in the past, even with my other Jeeps. I feel at 24k miles the only thing I should be worried about is keeping steady service intervals.
Not until I hit 24k was anything mentioned. So, somewhere from 20k to 24k my Jeep started consuming oil. My drive hasn't changed (same ole job), I'm not driving any more or less. Am I just supposed to assume I'm consuming/burning/leaking oil from my new Jeep when I leave the lot? Sure, now I do and I'm adding 1 quart per 1000 miles.
My whole point is, not only did I purchase another Jeep because of my past experiences with how tough they are but because it IS a Jeep and it's American. If Chrysler wants to complete (as well as Ford and GM), they have to step up and prove that their products are indeed as good or better then imports.
I took your advice. I looked on other forums (imports) about oil consumption. As I suspected, some do have issues with oil consumption. The difference is, they are experiencing it with much higher mileage. As I may expect if my Jeep were to have 75k + miles.
I'm not trying to slam Jeep. I appreciate you being the great defender of Jeeps. Yes, my Jeep and a limited number of others are unfortunate to have this issue. I just wonder if you were to buy a new Jeep and at 20k you had to start spending even more money adding a quart of oil per 1000 miles, if your tune would change as mine has. Gas is high enough let alone to have to add so much oil.
With that said, where's that consumed oil going? It's turning into sludge and building up in my engine. That can't be good. And when I have a major issue (you and I both know that is going to happen), will Chrysler do something about it or is this going to be a warranty loop hole where I end up floating the bill?
Concerned Jeeper........
forewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #42
07BlackOps
2007 JK Wrangler 

I agree. My timing chain cover is made of very porous metal and has lots of Oil seepage. Chrysler would repair it under warranty if I had a warranty. I bought the Jeep used and seems like they dont care.
Jeeps are one of the toughest vehicles you can get. I still think Chrysler needs to let a japanese company design their engines. Chrysler dropped the balls with this 3.8.
A guy passed me in my wifes car yesterday with a Jeep Liberty CRD.
Why wont they put a diesel in american JK's like tomorrow. This company is so backwards its makes no sense.
07BlackOps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #43
JK4Three
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Why would I feel the need to check my oil between services?
The Jeep manual says check it every fillup as do other makes. It's common sense to want to know if you have a problem sooner rather than later, be it burning oil or leaking it somewhere. Definately don't wait 5-6k miles to check your oil level.
JK4Three is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #44
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Why would I feel the need to check my oil between services?

That's what I don't understand. And, I'm not criticizing anyone. I'm just wondering...
How can someone own and operate a machine, and not expect to have to look at a few things along the way?
Heck, I learned that when I was 10 years old, and the front wheel of my bike fell off because I wasn't keeping an eye on things like axle nuts.
After that, it was all about preventive maintenance.

This has nothing to do with whether or not a Jeep is using oil.

Burning oil or not, the owner has no grounds to be pissed off if the engine runs out of oil over a distance of a few thousand miles.
Unread 05-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #45
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
That's what I don't understand. And, I'm not criticizing anyone. I'm just wondering...
How can someone own and operate a machine, and not expect to have to look at a few things along the way?
Heck, I learned that when I was 10 years old, and the front wheel of my bike fell off because I wasn't keeping an eye on things like axle nuts.
After that, it was all about preventive maintenance.

This has nothing to do with whether or not a Jeep is using oil.

Burning oil or not, the owner has no grounds to be pissed off if the engine runs out of oil over a distance of a few thousand miles.
What bothers me is Jeep/Chrystler not willing to fix it. If I drive the Jeep 4k miles without checking oil and it blows up, bad on me. But if I check it every 300mi (every fill up) and it's buring oil, then Jeep should correct it.

Is that a wrong state of mind?

Μολὼν λαβέ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.