3.8L excessive oil consumption - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 3.8L excessive oil consumption

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 02-20-2011, 09:59 PM   #16
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07BlackOps View Post
Well if that happens, then the dealership needs to give him a new motor, or rebuild this one, but it will never be the same! And honestly how often does that actually happen rings get installed upside down or the rods get installed incorrectly mistakes a first year auto body student learns to prevent
That seems to be the cause in several JK 3.8's that were torn down for burning too much oil.

ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2011, 06:29 AM   #17
07BlackOps
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
That seems to be the cause in several JK 3.8's that were torn down for burning too much oil.
Well holy crap, that seems like a quality control issue and chrysler needs to seriously improve on, maybe getting their engines assembled elsewhere or stricter quality checks!
07BlackOps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2011, 07:54 AM   #18
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07BlackOps View Post
Well holy crap, that seems like a quality control issue and chrysler needs to seriously improve on, maybe getting their engines assembled elsewhere or stricter quality checks!
There was a Mexican plant that made the pistons and rods in 2007 and 2008 that put out a few bad batches. In many cases, the piston rings are aligned together, which let oil into the combustion chamber. IIRC, they stopped using that plant after that. My 2008 JK had to get a new short block put in last year.
Dronac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2011, 09:00 AM   #19
07BlackOps
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thats good news. Im glad Chrysler had that much sense.
07BlackOps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #20
forewheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

My 2008 JK Rubi has been consuming oil since 24k. Now has 45k and still consuming about a quart a 1000. According to the dealership, Chrysler finds this to be acceptable and will not proceed (under warranty) unless I was to pay for a tear down. Being I do my services every 5k and I'm putting a quart per 1k, it seems I'm almost paying for that tear down already. By the time I come in for services, I just about have fresh oil (joking). My point is, it's getting pretty expensive adding so much oil between services. I've never had a major issue with Jeep before but I'm definitely having issues now. I guess this is what I get for staying with American Made. When's Chrysler/JEEP going to step up and do something about it?
forewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #21
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by forewheeler View Post
I guess this is what I get for staying with American Made. When's Chrysler/JEEP going to step up and do something about it?
If you get on a forum for any of the foreign makes, you will also see threads about excessive oil consumption.

No line of engines is free of oil consuming engines.
Unread 05-05-2011, 02:06 PM   #22
jerseyjeep01
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsuck
bought used 2007 Jeep wrangler from dealer had 40K on it. 3 months later I went to change oil at 45,000. I was notified by the oil change place no oil on dip stick. According to the oil change place it was at least 3.5 to 4 quarts low. A week later the main bears on 3 and 5 both spun. I have always owned Toyota and have never ever been down even a half a quart in 5000 miles.
New Engine time. If you own one of these i suggest you keep an I on the oil usage once is starts dump it.
Check your oil...... troll

Sent from my DROIDX using JeepForum

The New Build:
2010 2dr JK 6 speed...
jerseyjeep01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #23
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsuck View Post
bought used 2007 Jeep wrangler from dealer had 40K on it. 3 months later I went to change oil at 45,000. I was notified by the oil change place no oil on dip stick. According to the oil change place it was at least 3.5 to 4 quarts low. A week later the main bears on 3 and 5 both spun. I have always owned Toyota and have never ever been down even a half a quart in 5000 miles.
New Engine time. If you own one of these i suggest you keep an I on the oil usage once is starts dump it.

No vehicle is free of issues, no matter who makes it...go to a Toyota forum...you'll see...I am not saying I wouldn't be mad if I were you, but it does sound like you would be happier in a Toyota...
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #24
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I still don't understand how people can go from one oil change to the next without the slightest idea they should check the oil level, at least a few times.
Unread 05-06-2011, 09:17 PM   #25
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsuck View Post
Be sure to dump it on someone who doesn't do any research on known issues for a vehicle when buying one used and won't keep an "I" on the oil, then will blame the manufacturer with sweeping pronouncements to make themselves feel better about their own lack of due diligence before the sale and basic common sense maintenance after.
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 11:05 PM   #26
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiblet View Post
Be sure to dump it on someone who doesn't do any research on known issues for a vehicle when buying one used and won't keep an "I" on the oil, then will blame the manufacturer with sweeping pronouncements to make themselves feel better about their own lack of due diligence before the sale and basic common sense maintenance after.
Common sense maintanence doesnt fix an incorrectly built motor...

edit: Any way to tell if our motor was one made in said Mexican factory, besides seeing if it burns quarts of oil?

Μολὼν λαβέ
TheRealKTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 11:23 PM   #27
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain View Post
Common sense maintanence doesnt fix an incorrectly built motor...

edit: Any way to tell if our motor was one made in said Mexican factory, besides seeing if it burns quarts of oil?
Common sense maintenance will keep you from running out of oil, which will cause more damage, and void the warranty if the dealer is the one who discovers it.

The build plant is in the engine number, on the back of the block, just below the left head/block parting line. S = Saltillo; T = Trenton
Unread 05-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #28
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
Common sense maintenance will keep you from running out of oil, which will cause more damage, and void the warranty if the dealer is the one who discovers it.

The build plant is in the engine number, on the back of the block, just below the left head/block parting line. S = Saltillo; T = Trenton
I must have misunderstood what you meant. I agree, common sense will SAVE the motor, not the extra oil

Im in the market for an 08, is that a number the dealer should have on hand, or will i have to crawl under it to find it myself?

Μολὼν λαβέ
Unread 05-06-2011, 11:31 PM   #29
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain View Post
I must have misunderstood what you meant. I agree, common sense will SAVE the motor, not the extra oil

Im in the market for an 08, is that a number the dealer should have on hand, or will i have to crawl under it to find it myself?
I've tried to see it from underneath. No go.
The only way I could see it was with a mirror, stuffed between the left head and the firewall.
Unread 05-06-2011, 11:40 PM   #30
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I appreciate the quick responses Ronjenx! I guess Ill have to grill the stealership when I get there about it.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.