3.8L excessive oil consumption - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 3.8L excessive oil consumption

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-05-2008, 12:53 PM   #1
mbehr
2007 JK Wrangler 

3.8L excessive oil consumption

My '07 4 dr has 24K miles. The oil has been changed regularly at 3K to 3.5K miles. I used to never check the oil because I didn't think a new vehicle would use more than a quart during the oil change interval. Well guess what? This thing is using a quart about every 1300 miles. No leaks, no smoke, and no sign on the plugs. I haven't jumped on the dealer yet other than to call it to their attention at the last oil change a month ago. They said they found no leaks, nothing else. I'm going to take it in tomorrow morning and want the forum's advice.

mbehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 01:20 PM   #2
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

After every oil change, I check the oil level. The reason is because this engine takes six quarts of oil. Most other vehicles need only 5, so it is common for them to short you a quart. If you check it and it is full then check it later and it is low, the oil is going somewhere Does it smell like burnt oil? Is there an accumulation of damp dust anywhere on your engine? How does your antifreeze look? Does your oil look milky or normal?
Unread 12-05-2008, 02:09 PM   #3
mbehr
2007 JK Wrangler 

Checked it after I left the dealer at the last oil change- full. No burnt smell and no milky discoloration. No evidence of a leak anywhere. Round One with the dealer coming up.......Chrysler retained a bankruptcy law firm today. Wonder what that will do to warranties?
Unread 12-05-2008, 03:58 PM   #4
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

I had an oil consumption claim on my 350Z and it was a mess.

I would advise that if you don't have a good relationship with your dealer, go find another one. If you're bone stock under the hood, then you're probably OK, but if you have any mods (hypertech, CAI,...whatever) - get it back to stock ASAP. If you're not leaking, then you've got bad rings or an out-of-round cylinder. You'll probably get a new short-block. I don't think that'll break Chrysler, so I wouldn't worry.
Just stay on the dealer.
tricked919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 04:09 PM   #5
242much
2009 JK Wrangler 

make em put a hemi in.

good grief, just buy the Rubicon.
242much is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 05:16 PM   #6
FatBuoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbehr View Post
Chrysler retained a bankruptcy law firm today. Wonder what that will do to warranties?
Sorry to hijack but it may be a good time to sell the extended warranties back!

So far: Rugged Ridge front bumper, rear bumper/tire carrier and side armor, 37" Toyo Open Country MTs, Argent AEV Pintlers, AEV hood, 5.13 gears, Teraflex 4" Long Arm lift, JE Reel front shaft. Flat fenders-Bushwacker. Superchips Flashpaq

Waiting to be installed: Nuttin!

On order: Nuttin!

Some day: I may grow up, but I seriously doubt it. Oh, and a Hemi!
FatBuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #7
mbehr
2007 JK Wrangler 

Dumped the '07 for an '09 with lifetime powertrain warranty.
Unread 02-20-2011, 01:04 PM   #8
jeepsuck

excessive oil use

bought used 2007 Jeep wrangler from dealer had 40K on it. 3 months later I went to change oil at 45,000. I was notified by the oil change place no oil on dip stick. According to the oil change place it was at least 3.5 to 4 quarts low. A week later the main bears on 3 and 5 both spun. I have always owned Toyota and have never ever been down even a half a quart in 5000 miles.
New Engine time. If you own one of these i suggest you keep an I on the oil usage once is starts dump it.
jeepsuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
PanthersFan
Not old, just older

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsuck
bought used 2007 Jeep wrangler from dealer had 40K on it. 3 months later I went to change oil at 45,000. I was notified by the oil change place no oil on dip stick. According to the oil change place it was at least 3.5 to 4 quarts low. A week later the main bears on 3 and 5 both spun. I have always owned Toyota and have never ever been down even a half a quart in 5000 miles.
New Engine time. If you own one of these i suggest you keep an I on the oil usage once is starts dump it.
You went 3 months and 5000 miles without checking the oil?? Seriously?? On a used vehicle??
THE Conventions of a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best ensure the beneficent ends of its institution.
PanthersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 02:59 PM   #10
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFan View Post
You went 3 months and 5000 [miles] without checking the oil?? Seriously?? On a use vehicle??
That seems to be the norm for people today. People start driving without any training on how to take care of their vehicle. When it's suggested checking the oil is part of responsible vehicle ownership, they get indignant, saying they shouldn't have to on modern vehicles.
ronjenx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #11
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

We had to add 4 quarts in about 3000 miles ... It knocks on starup too and there's chunks of metal in the oil.

Chrysler says it's normal.
Unread 02-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #12
BlueLesPaul2006
2012 JK Wrangler 

Mine uses about 1 quart for every 1000 miles. But if you use Jiffy lube they will put in up to 2 quarts between changes. Mine runs fine.

Dang, all this time and I thought it was the famous Jeep Wave!! ~bluegrassguitar
BlueLesPaul2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 06:45 PM   #13
07BlackOps
2007 JK Wrangler 

My Jeep is used and has 58k on it. Doesnt burn a drop. Sorry but most people that buy a new car dont realize the engine needs a 1000 mile break in on it. Vary the RPMs drive fast and slow. As long as you break the engine in and change the oil with a quality filter and quality oil you can get 200k miles out of an engine and it wont leak a drop! I break every engine in this way including my race built engines! The only engine I ever had that burned oil was my Turbochaged Impreza WRX mainly because the turbo blew lots of oil into the exhaust on startup and when high RPM driving but never more then a quart over 3k miles
07BlackOps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 07:00 PM   #14
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Proper break-in won't help those whose rings were installed upside down, or whose rods were installed wrong-side-to.
ronjenx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 09:26 PM   #15
07BlackOps
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Proper break-in won't help those whose rings were installed upside down, or whose rods were installed wrong-side-to.
Well if that happens, then the dealership needs to give him a new motor, or rebuild this one, but it will never be the same! And honestly how often does that actually happen rings get installed upside down or the rods get installed incorrectly mistakes a first year auto body student learns to prevent
07BlackOps is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.