3.8 towing capabilities? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 3.8 towing capabilities?

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-29-2006, 08:49 AM   #1
strobengh

3.8 towing capabilities?

Does anyone have any experience towing anything with a 3.8 engine (props if you have towed with the wrangler, but experience towing with a minivan is welcome as well!)?

From the reviews I've read here, and elsewhere, the 3.8 is fine for most driving, but it gets a little winded when going up muntains, at speeds over 70 . . .

I'm moving to Utah in 5 months, so if I get one, it will be going over Parley's Canyon every other day (I-80, which I believe has one of the steepest inclines of a freeway).

I'll also be towing a drift boat, 4 wheelers, etc . . . Nothing more than the tow rating, but I'll be pushing it.

So, how will the 3.8 do when towing something 1-2k lbs, with 4-5 150-200 lb passengers, and a load of gear?

strobengh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 09:10 AM   #2
NapalmEnema

Quote:
Originally Posted by strobengh
Does anyone have any experience towing anything with a 3.8 engine (props if you have towed with the wrangler, but experience towing with a minivan is welcome as well!)?

From the reviews I've read here, and elsewhere, the 3.8 is fine for most driving, but it gets a little winded when going up muntains, at speeds over 70 . . .

I'm moving to Utah in 5 months, so if I get one, it will be going over Parley's Canyon every other day (I-80, which I believe has one of the steepest inclines of a freeway).

I'll also be towing a drift boat, 4 wheelers, etc . . . Nothing more than the tow rating, but I'll be pushing it.

So, how will the 3.8 do when towing something 1-2k lbs, with 4-5 150-200 lb passengers, and a load of gear?
I dunno man, I'd think about a truck with a V8 for that amount of stuff.
NapalmEnema is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 09:13 AM   #3
strobengh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmEnema
I dunno man, I'd think about a truck with a V8 for that amount of stuff.

So you have no idea.

Thanks.
Unread 09-29-2006, 09:19 AM   #4
NapalmEnema

Quote:
Originally Posted by strobengh

So you have no idea.

Thanks.
Yeah, shoot me because I drew a logical conclusion based on everything I have read.

From the guy that has just driven the 4 door home on a 700 mile trip and said "it was pretty winded going up steep inclines and holding 70+ miles an hour fully floored". I kind of applied that to your situation and came up with the logical conclusion that you towing some large craft and all your fat friends may prove to be too much weight for the engine to properly pull.
NapalmEnema is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 09:47 AM   #5
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

so payload of over 1000 lbs, plus towing 2000 lbs, plus incline and altitude.

Id also have to say that its going to be pretty stressed.

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 12:29 PM   #6
strobengh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondTJ
so payload of over 1000 lbs, plus towing 2000 lbs, plus incline and altitude.

Id also have to say that its going to be pretty stressed.
Yeah, I've realized that, but would it be able to maintain speed with a load, or does it not have enough torque for that?

I'm just looking for experience with the 3.8. I realize that towing a load up an incline is pushing it, which is why I am looking for the experiences of others to see just how far I would be stretching it (assuming the boneheads don't offer a diesel or v-8 by the 2008 model year).

Thanks
Unread 09-29-2006, 12:47 PM   #7
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

the jk has been barely hitting the streets. i think it will be awhile before someone actually has the experience to tell you exactly what your looking for

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 01:05 PM   #8
IGZLBR
2002 XJ Cherokee 

Maximum tow capacity of wrangler is 2000 Lbs and the unlimited is 3500 Lbs.

Current Rides: 1993 Grand Wagoneer, 1992 Cherokee
Past: 1982 CJ-7, 1986 CJ-7, 1994 YJ
IGZLBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 01:28 PM   #9
strobengh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondTJ
the jk has been barely hitting the streets. i think it will be awhile before someone actually has the experience to tell you exactly what your looking for
True, but there have to be people here who own, or know people who have owned minivans with the 3.8 engine in it . . .

Factory numbers don't always paint an accurate picture of towing abilities. And I know that the gearing and shape of the unlimited will affect its towing ability, but I'd settle for someone's opinion of the engine right now.
Unread 09-29-2006, 04:19 PM   #10
300bhp/ton
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I can't see it being an issue. Sure it might use more fuel and performance might be lacking, but hay its a lot of weight and not masses of power.

But seriously with Land Rovers with substantially less HP have towed heavier loads and up steep inclines. But I will admit altitude is not an issue in the UK.

All you can do is hook it up and try, and take it easy as well as drive safe.
Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0HO!!! - stock|Land Rover Discovery 200Tdi - diesel, 33's and one or two other mods currently being rebuilt as an 88 Hybrid|Camaro z/28 LS1 - 5.7 litres of OHV muscle!!!|1977 Triumph TR7 V8 - Lightweight and fun, with only the doors remaining stock|smart Roadster - small nippy and 58mpg|Ford Thunderbird - long term rebuild project
300bhp/ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 04:22 PM   #11
300bhp/ton
1995 XJ Cherokee 

BTW - while this topic is going on. Why do Jeeps have such a low tow rating? I mean their British counter part is a Land Rover, specifically a Defender 90, or maybe a 110 now there's a LWB Wrangler.

But have I read it right that the new Wrangler is only rated at 2000lb towing ability? Surley I've miss-read it.

A diesel 110 Defender with 2.5 TD engine and 134bhp is rated to pull 3500kg (7700lb). Seems to be a massive difference.
Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0HO!!! - stock|Land Rover Discovery 200Tdi - diesel, 33's and one or two other mods currently being rebuilt as an 88 Hybrid|Camaro z/28 LS1 - 5.7 litres of OHV muscle!!!|1977 Triumph TR7 V8 - Lightweight and fun, with only the doors remaining stock|smart Roadster - small nippy and 58mpg|Ford Thunderbird - long term rebuild project
Unread 09-29-2006, 06:34 PM   #12
firefly

I keep my boat at the marina on a trailer so I am not towing back and forth but I use the TJ Sahara to dunk the boat and then pull it up the ramp at the end of the day. Boat and trailer have a combined weight close to 5k pounds and the TJ does a better than fine job pulling it up the steep ramp at low tide even when it's wet. It has plenty of torque to spare.

I have towed it down the street to get gas a few times and it does a great job at this as well. I believe they have such a low tow rating because of the brakes and the short wheel base. In my case I have electric over hydraulic brakes on the trailer so my stopping ability is probably better with trailer than without.

Not sure about the new engine in the jeep but I assume it comes down to the gearing.
firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 06:41 PM   #13
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
BTW - while this topic is going on. Why do Jeeps have such a low tow rating? I mean their British counter part is a Land Rover, specifically a Defender 90, or maybe a 110 now there's a LWB Wrangler.

But have I read it right that the new Wrangler is only rated at 2000lb towing ability? Surley I've miss-read it.

A diesel 110 Defender with 2.5 TD engine and 134bhp is rated to pull 3500kg (7700lb). Seems to be a massive difference.
3 things I can think of.

1) Short wheelbase
2) Different safety standards
3) Sue happy American lawyers

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2006, 02:17 AM   #14
300bhp/ton
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neZZr
3 things I can think of.
Not too sure?

Quote:
1) Short wheelbase
A Defender 90 has a 93" wheelbase identical to that of a YJ Wrangler.

Quote:
2) Different safety standards
Defender have been sold in the US.

Quote:
3) Sue happy American lawyers
Same as above.
Unread 09-30-2006, 05:52 AM   #15
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Not too sure?

A Defender 90 has a 93" wheelbase identical to that of a YJ Wrangler.

Defender have been sold in the US.

Same as above.
I'm am unfamiliar with the specs of the Defender... but did the Defender 90 have the higher tow rating or just the 110? Did the Defender have the same ratings listed in the owners manual as sold in the US that it had elsewhere?

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.