Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

3.8 Supercharger Kit 07 jeep

10K views 48 replies 20 participants last post by  thundercat900 
#1 · (Edited)
I work at HESCO and was wondering if there was any intrest in a Supercharger kit for the new 3.8 jeep engine.
I bought a new 07 unliminted and it is underpowered to say the least:mad:

We are currently putting together a base kit which should be good for about 50 hp and can be instaled in less the 3 hours and not having to modify any stock parts.
I'm just looking for feedback and ideas and comments from everybody out there with the new jeeps

We are still working on the plumbing and it should be on the dyno by friday. This picture here is not plumbed in yet.
Check out www.hesco.us for more info

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
The picture above is the early stages of the base kit, Before the plumbing was done...I will update with new pictures in the next few day's or email me at jons@hesco.us and I will send you some

I looked at the avenger kit on there web site. It looks like they cut the hood to make it clear...NOT COOL. but its a early photo.

I hoping to have a basic kit that uses the stock air box and should keep cost way down compared to the avenger system. Its looking like all the parts can be installed from the top and basic hand tools are all the will be required....no opening up the engine or anything scary for the noobie.
Also using a "turbo style" supercharger with 3 inch tube stlye plumbing future mods will be a piece of cake.
maybe base kit in the high $3K low 4k range
intercooler upgrade $$$ down the road after dyno testing is finished on the base kit.
All future mods will be compatable with the base kit, so upgrades will be easy to install and won't break the bank all at once.

If there is anybody in the Birmingham Alabama area thay wants to be one of the first to get one and give me some feedback please give me a call at the shop 205-251-1472 Ask for Jon Schaefer

#6 ·
I'm in Childersburg. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as I'm definately interested in some more power. I'll wait until my warranty is gone tho. Have about 10K on it now and should be out of warr by late summer. I know there's a need for an inexpensive blower set-up. What kind of costs are involved in a chassis dyno for a vette?
thanks,

#7 ·
bamrneck said:
I'm in Childersburg. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as I'm definately interested in some more power. I'll wait until my warranty is gone tho. Have about 10K on it now and should be out of warr by late summer. I know there's a need for an inexpensive blower set-up. What kind of costs are involved in a chassis dyno for a vette?
thanks,
We have LS1 edit and HPtuners for tuning late model vettes....as for dyno, it depends on what you need done. $80 an hour...just to run one and get some good pulls won't cost very much. We do a lot of vettes :thumbsup:

#8 ·
The jeep is up and runing and the supercharger is a lot quieter than I thought it would be. Dyno testing will be done in the morning. Hopefully I will be street driving very soon. I'll keep ya posted

:2thumbsup:

#10 ·
^^ I dunno how you would explain underpowered but basically the jeep isn't too quick or got get up and go. Which is not just a problem with the JK IMO. the 4.0 in the TJ wasn't exaclty a beast either, but I'm ok with that Jeep isn't a racecar but more power is always fun. I gotta say tho a supercharger would be sick nasty for the JK. I'm most interested in low end torque improvements.

#11 · (Edited)
If you think your JK is under powered where you live come on up to 7000' elevation. We lose 10-20% just because of the lack of air. I will be looking to put on the supercharger on my 4dr auto JK as soon as the warrenty expires also.

How do you think to mileage will be affected? I was surprised to get 16mpg around town and 22-25mpg on the freeway. Do not want to lose that.

#12 ·
dodco1 said:
If you think your JK is under powered where you live come on up to 7000' elevation. We lose 10-20% just because of the lack of air. I will be looking to put on the supercharger on my 4dr auto JK as soon as the warrenty expires also.

How do you think to mileage will be affected? I was surprized to get 16mpg around town and 22-25mpg on the freeway. Do not want to lose that.
I will know in the next few weeks if gas mileage is gonna be affected. Under normal cruise when no boost is needed it will pretty much operate the same as stock, so I would think fuel mileage won't be hurt very much in those area's. When you get into the throttle and boost levels rise, more fuel is needed to compensate and fuel mileage may suffer a litte. But most vehicles we install superchargers on report only a slight loss of MPG probably because your not having to stomp down on the gas pedal as much to get moving.

Also the Kit should make boost at low rpm levels. Which is where the Jeep really need's it.

The kit is on my jeep as we speak and should be ready for the road very soon. I will be keeping a close watch on my fuel mileage.... as of right now it show's about 17 in town and showed 22 on the highway.

#13 ·
You'll lose a little mpg under cruise most likely due to the parasitic drag of supercharger... more stuff the engine has to turn. Similar to driving around all the time with the AC on. Under boost, well, it takes fuel to make power.
At 5 psi you should achieve a theoretical 30% increase in power. Parasitic loss from the supercharger, pumping loses etc. cut into that but with proper fuel and spark management that 5 psi should yield a good 20% increase.
Are fuel and spark being dealt with?
I'd like to see actual, uncorrected, raw dyno graphs of power and torque at the wheels.
Now, strap that puppy down and git some data!

#14 ·
Keep us up to date on how it works out, I will definetly be interested in adding some hp when I get mine.

#15 ·
Sweeney said:
You'll lose a little mpg under cruise most likely due to the parasitic drag of supercharger... more stuff the engine has to turn. Similar to driving around all the time with the AC on. Under boost, well, it takes fuel to make power.
At 5 psi you should achieve a theoretical 30% increase in power. Parasitic loss from the supercharger, pumping loses etc. cut into that but with proper fuel and spark management that 5 psi should yield a good 20% increase.
Are fuel and spark being dealt with?
I'd like to see actual, uncorrected, raw dyno graphs of power and torque at the wheels.
Now, strap that puppy down and git some data!
Very true, thats why we have 2 different compressors that we are testing with. We want the one with the best low end boost and lowest parasitic draw on the system.
And yes we are dealing with fuel and spark. We have been a supplier to JEEP for a long time and it does have its benifits. ;)

We are also prototyping a plug and play unit that will give us full control of fueling and timing along with several other PCM controls.....stay tuned...

When I get some dyno data I will show both engine HP and raw to the rear wheel data so there will be no "fudge factor" LOL :thumbsup:

I put about 30 miles on it today around town and so far it's looking good. Very quiet and smooth power. :2thumbsup:

I'm not going to post too many Pic's of the current setup.....Don't want the competition to copy...:laugh:

#17 ·
thundercat900 said:
We are also prototyping a plug and play unit that will give us full control of fueling and timing along with several other PCM controls.....stay tuned...

When I get some dyno data I will show both engine HP and raw to the rear wheel data so there will be no "fudge factor" LOL :thumbsup:

I put about 30 miles on it today around town and so far it's looking good. Very quiet and smooth power. :2thumbsup:

I'm not going to post too many Pic's of the current setup.....Don't want the competition to copy...:laugh:
Good! I see too many people assume huge drive train losses so they can post a BIG horse power number.
Plug and play is good especially if it's supplied pre-programed (at least 90% of the way). We actually see greater than 100% power increase at 1bar boost on our BMW engines. Proper tuning is key.

Any thoughts on how much power the stock internals of the 3.8 can handle?

I still have my '98 TJ... been toying with turbo charging it but... well, it's way down the list.

So you know I some clue to this forced induction stuff, this is me and a buddy... a side gig for me... www.turbochargingdynamics.com

I look forward to seeing your progress.

#18 ·
Sweeney said:
Good! I see too many people assume huge drive train losses so they can post a BIG horse power number.
Plug and play is good especially if it's supplied pre-programed (at least 90% of the way). We actually see greater than 100% power increase at 1bar boost on our BMW engines. Proper tuning is key.

Any thoughts on how much power the stock internals of the 3.8 can handle?

I still have my '98 TJ... been toying with turbo charging it but... well, it's way down the list.

So you know I some clue to this forced induction stuff, this is me and a buddy... a side gig for me... www.turbochargingdynamics.com

I look forward to seeing your progress.
we can hook you up with a nice Supercharger setup for yor 4.0 or even a 4.7 stroker kit and aluminum head if your interested :laugh:

We were messing around one day on the engine dyno and bolted the supercharger i'm currently running on a stock 4.0l out of the junkyard. No fuel or timing changes...6 lbs and run it to redline 300+hp at 13.4 to 1 AFR. The 4.0 is one tough engine...we tried real hard to blow it up and the dam thing still run's as good as new :rofl:
I wish they would have kept the 4.0L We are gonna miss it.

#19 ·
Thanks, but if I go FI on the jeep I'll build a turbo system from scratch... no offense ;)

The 4.0 is tough like the old BMW 3.5. We're pushing over 400lb/ft of torque at the wheels from 3000 -5200 rpm and 400whp with our kits. This is with all stock internals with a MLS head gasket and studs.

Do you guys have a "delivery" date for the kit?

#20 ·
Sweeney said:
Thanks, but if I go FI on the jeep I'll build a turbo system from scratch... no offense ;)

The 4.0 is tough like the old BMW 3.5. We're pushing over 400lb/ft of torque at the wheels from 3000 -5200 rpm and 400whp with our kits. This is with all stock internals with a MLS head gasket and studs.

Do you guys have a "delivery" date for the kit?
Let me know when your ready to boost her, we have a plug in play unit that works really good.

either way i'm hoping to have the kit out by the end of next month. We are going to début it the second weekend of feburuary at the world of wheels car show in Birmingham Alabama http://www.worldofwheels.info/
FEB 9 10 11

#21 ·
thundercat900 said:
Is this a handheld programmer, and can you mention who it is made by? Also, do you use your computer to modify parameters then load it to the programmer or can some of the changes be made directly from the handheld? Thanks!

#22 ·
ShockTherapy said:
Is this a handheld programmer, and can you mention who it is made by? Also, do you use your computer to modify parameters then load it to the programmer or can some of the changes be made directly from the handheld? Thanks!
its not a handheld unit, It plugs into the factory computer and has preset programs based on your mods. Up to 6 different tunes can be selected via a switch. Updated tunes can be emailed to you and can be download into the unit via laptop ......or desktop for that matter.

Its a full tune...not just a Wide open throttle tune like most handhelds and such.

I can't release the name of it yet but after we get the testing done I will post up all the specs.

#24 ·
Well I dont have a JK, but I do have a YJ that I plan on strokeing in the next year or two, or when ever it starts crapping out on me (210K and still strong!) But I would like to have one of those super bling aluminum heads for it. Yall gonna have one of those on display at the W.O.W. show? I have never been to one, think I might go this year. I am just up the road in cullman.

#25 ·
Cobra Jeep said:
Well I dont have a JK, but I do have a YJ that I plan on strokeing in the next year or two, or when ever it starts crapping out on me (210K and still strong!) But I would like to have one of those super bling aluminum heads for it. Yall gonna have one of those on display at the W.O.W. show? I have never been to one, think I might go this year. I am just up the road in cullman.
We should have one there. Give Bennie a call at the shop, he is the jeep engine guru :laugh: 205-251-1472

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.