3.5 or 5.5 RK lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 3.5 or 5.5 RK lift

Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 99551 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved dStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 04-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
cabotgsxr86
2010 JK Wrangler 

3.5 or 5.5 RK lift

Ok i've been searching and searching. I can't make up my mind between the rock krawler 3.5 mid arm or the 5.5 long arm. I know one is a long arm and the other is not. I guess what im having trouble with is i am going to be driving the jeep every day of the week. And im wondering what the handling differences would be compaired to stock with the 5.5 long arm? I've also heard that these lifts actually give you more lift than advertised. So what do these lifts actually give u? And for those of you that have the 5.5 lift is it too much of a lift to drive on the street every day? I will be running 37" and 5.13 gears. And the rig will see a very good amount of trails.

cabotgsxr86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
KrawlOff-Road
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

What type of wheeling will you be doing? The RK 3.5" lifts are a great height to run 37's. All RK lifts work well on the street for a DD. You will see more body roll with the 5.5" do to it just sitting up higher. They are great lifts though!

If you have any questions about them, feel free to PM, email, or call us at anytime!

-Jason

Tires-FREE SHIPPING!!
KrawlOff-Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
cabotgsxr86
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawloff-road View Post
what type of wheeling will you be doing? The rk 3.5" lifts are a great height to run 37's. All rk lifts work well on the street for a dd. You will see more body roll with the 5.5" do to it just sitting up higher. They are great lifts though!

If you have any questions about them, feel free to pm, email, or call us at anytime!

-jason
a good bit of woods and mud riding. Also a bit of rock's but not a whole lot.
Unread 04-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
cabotgsxr86
2010 JK Wrangler 

I just don't want to get the 3.5 and then feel it wasnt enough, and have wanted the 5.5.
Unread 04-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
DrHolliday

2011 JK Wrangler 

Is this going on a 2 door or 4 door? The 3.5" can also be had in a long arm.

The reason I ask is the 2 doors tend to see more lift from the kits then the 4 doors. I have a 2 door with the 3.5" x factor mid arm and I was lifted over 5.5" front and 4.5" rear in actual lift. 37's fit great on the 3.5" lift.

My build thread
DrHolliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabotgsxr86 View Post
Ok i've been searching and searching. I can't make up my mind between the rock krawler 3.5 mid arm or the 5.5 long arm. I know one is a long arm and the other is not. I guess what im having trouble with is i am going to be driving the jeep every day of the week. And im wondering what the handling differences would be compaired to stock with the 5.5 long arm? I've also heard that these lifts actually give you more lift than advertised. So what do these lifts actually give u? And for those of you that have the 5.5 lift is it too much of a lift to drive on the street every day? I will be running 37" and 5.13 gears. And the rig will see a very good amount of trails.
Actually, RK offers both the 3.5" and 5.5" in an Long Arm setup. With the 3.5" you will have plenty of room to run 37's. Long Arm rides better than short arm, less lift rides better than more lift. With more lift you're looking at increased body roll, squat, and dive.

There are two options for the 3.5" long arm:
1.) Standard 4-link: essentially the same as your factory suspension just relocating the frame-side control arm mounts for improved geometry. It will be a good all around performer and provide you with the best on-road handling.
2.) 3-link rear end (triple threat long arm system): Utilizes a 3-link rear end suspension. It does away with the two upper control arms and replaces it with a single upper control arm in the center of the axle. This is arguably one of the best performing rear suspensions out there....off-road. It allows the rear axle to travel without binding so it has superior articulation compared to traditional 4-link designs. It won't be as nice as a 4-link for daily driver duties (increased body roll mainly) but I doubt you'll find any issue with it.

If you plan on installing either of these yourself, I hope your welding skills are up to par. The 3-link will require more welding as it places a truss over the differential of the rear axle. For my $ I'd go 3-link as you've said it will see lots of trails...there won't be much out there that can compete with you. Also, if you're spending this much coin on your lift, I'd go ahead and have a look at doing the coilover upgrade for the front suspension. Long travel shocks are expensive as it is, and when you delete the cost of the coil springs from either the 3.5 or 5.5 kit, you don't spend a whole lot more for significantly better performance.

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
cabotgsxr86
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drholliday View Post
is this going on a 2 door or 4 door? The 3.5" can also be had in a long arm.

The reason i ask is the 2 doors tend to see more lift from the kits then the 4 doors. I have a 2 door with the 3.5" x factor mid arm and i was lifted over 5.5" front and 4.5" rear in actual lift. 37's fit great on the 3.5" lift.
it's going to be on a 2 door. It will have front and rear aftermarket bumpers and a winch. If the 3.5 will actually give me 5.5 in the front and 4.5 in the rear. I would be more than happy with the rk 3.5" lift.
Unread 04-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #8
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
it's going to be on a 2 door. It will have front and rear aftermarket bumpers and a winch. If the 3.5 will actually give me 5.5 in the front and 4.5 in the rear. I would be more than happy with the rk 3.5" lift.
You'll definitely be happy with 3.5" Doc^^ is running 40's on his 3.5" and I'm on 35's, going to 37's. I've got aftermarket bumpers and a winch, RK uses progressive rate front coils which (in terms of added weight) are much less affected than standard rate springs.

Build Thread

Unread 04-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #9
cabotgsxr86
2010 JK Wrangler 

Well let me ask this with the 5.5 long arm. With that much add height does it ever feel like its too much lift, as far as on the trails and in the rocks does it feel like its too top heavy? And lean too much?
Unread 04-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #10
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Well let me ask this with the 5.5 long arm. With that much add height does it ever feel like its too much lift, as far as on the trails and in the rocks does it feel like its too top heavy? And lean too much?
I honestly can't comment on the difference between the 3.5" and 5.5" in terms of how much more body roll there would be, I'm running the 3.5" system myself and I haven't had any seat time in rig with the 5.5". Generally speaking, more lift = more roll/squat/dive, sorry I can't help much outside of that.

I'd recommend giving Rock Krawler a call, their technicians are very knowledgable and helpful and could definitely give you a good idea of the differences in handling characteristics of the kits. When you find out what you need, give Jason at Krawl-OffRoad a call and he'll set you up with a great price!

Build Thread

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.