2dr towing, 4dr towing, tow v. max-tow pkg - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2dr towing, 4dr towing, tow v. max-tow pkg

Halloween Savings to die for!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 05-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

2dr towing, 4dr towing, tow v. max-tow pkg

I'd like to get an understanding of towing w/ a Wrangler.

I understand that the 2 door can be optioned w/ a trailer hitch and 4 pin connection. A 4 door can be identically optioned or be 'upgraded' to the max-tow package [which seems to be nothing more than the tow package w/ a 3.73]. Now, one can also buy a 2 door w/ a 3.73 and a tow package [it just costs more [ that Jeep increased the cost of the 3.73 option from '12 to '13]....

What I don't know is: is there a software addition to either or both tow packages that help w/ anti-sway? I'm getting all kinds of stories from dealerships and salesmen. I don't trust what I'm being told.

So my questions are 2:

1] If one buys a 2 door, adds the 3.73 and a tow package, have they effectively created the max-tow package [albeit at a greater cost]?

2] Is there a software element to either/both of the tow package[s]?

Bonus/rhetorical question: why the heck don't they offer the max-tow package on the 2 door?

Thank you in advance,

John

Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

There is an anti-sway program for the later Jks.
I don't think anyone knows for sure if the anti-sway soft ware is present on a JK without the factory ordered tow package. It's also not known if the feature can be turned on if it didn't come with it. It's just programming, so it should be available, but who knows?

The 2dr's two tow ratings are 1,000 lbs, and 2,000 lbs, depending on gears installed. I think they just don't call the 2,000 lb package Max Tow.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

wow, I'm amazed at the dearth of comments.

I hoped for some insight w/ respect to my 2 questions, expecting this forum to be the fount of knowledge of all things Jeep.

John
Unread 05-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
PrinceBondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuskid View Post
wow, I'm amazed at the dearth of comments. I hoped for some insight w/ respect to my 2 questions, expecting this forum to be the fount of knowledge of all things Jeep.
And with comments like this, I am sure you will soon be flooded with advice from people who take the time and energy to provide helpful information free of charge, on a timetable that is more to your liking.
PrinceBondar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #5
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceBondar View Post
And with comments like this, I am sure you will soon be flooded with advice from people who take the time and energy to provide helpful information free of charge, on a timetable that is more to your liking.
Thanks Prince,

My comment was meant to be read sincerely, not sarcastically, but apparently it was not understood.

I'm impressed w/ the knowledge base here and am legitimately surprised.

Sorry if I offended you or anyone.

John
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks Prince,

My comment was meant to be read sincerely, not sarcastically, but apparently it was not understood.

John
So, were your questions answered? (It sounded like you were not satisfied with the response.)
Unread 05-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
So, were your questions answered? (It sounded like you were not satisfied with the response.)
No, regrettably they have not yet been answered.

John
Unread 05-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #8
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
No, regrettably they have not yet been answered.

John
I regret that, too, because I thought I addressed your questions in the second post.
Reviewing you questions, and my answers, I still think so.

Here is your first question:
1] If one buys a 2 door, adds the 3.73 and a tow package, have they effectively created the max-tow package [albeit at a greater cost]?

And my answer:
The 2dr's two tow ratings are 1,000 lbs, and 2,000 lbs, depending on gears installed. I think they just don't call the 2,000 lb package Max Tow.

It addresses the gears you mentioned, and the thing called Max Tow, which doesn't exist for the 2dr. (It also covers the bonus question.)

Here is your second question:

And my answer:
I don't think anyone knows for sure if the anti-sway soft ware is present on a JK without the factory ordered tow package. It's also not known if the feature can be turned on if it didn't come with it. It's just programming, so it should be available, but who knows?

Is there something I didn't cover?
Unread 05-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #9
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

They probably don't offer the max tow package with the 2dr because even know it has the same gears as the 4dr doesn't mean it can tow as much. most people don't tow much with a 2dr wrangler.
May I ask what you plan on towing?
me: yaaaaa.
bobthecatkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #10
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecatkiller View Post
They probably don't offer the max tow package with the 2dr because even know it has the same gears as the 4dr doesn't mean it can tow as much. most people don't tow much with a 2dr wrangler.
May I ask what you plan on towing?
build a harbor freight trailer like the ones found in these threads:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...hread-1180456/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/bo...r-kit-1274811/

I plan on using it for light hauling, camping and hauling kayaks. I plan on building a rack over the top.

John
Unread 05-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #11
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
I regret that, too, because I thought I addressed your questions in the second post.
Reviewing you questions, and my answers, I still think so.

Here is your first question:

And my answer:

It addresses the gears you mentioned, and the thing called Max Tow, which doesn't exist for the 2dr. (It also covers the bonus question.)

Here is your second question:

And my answer:

Is there something I didn't cover?
You reply is appreciated but it doesn't state whether or not 'piece-mealing' the parts equates to a 'max-tow' package.

Your qualifying ...'but who knows' ... at the end of your second part didn't give me warm and fuzzies about it.

Thanks for your help, again, I do appreciate it but was hoping for a reply which was definitive.

All the Best,

John
Unread 05-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #12
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
You reply is appreciated but it doesn't state whether or not 'piece-mealing' the parts equates to a 'max-tow' package.

Your qualifying ...'but who knows' ... at the end of your second part didn't give me warm and fuzzies about it.

Thanks for your help, again, I do appreciate it but was hoping for a reply which was definitive.

All the Best,

John
" 'piece-mealing' the parts" does bring the tow capacity to the highest rating for your 2dr. If you are looking to bring it up to a Max Tow Package rating, you're out of luck, as the highest rating for the 2dr isn't called Max Tow.
Max Tow only applies to the 4dr, which brings it up to 3500 lbs.

If you could install the anti-sway program on your JK, it would not increase its tow capacity.
Unread 05-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #13
Jeepster63
2012 JK Wrangler 

To be clear, I understand that the increase in capacity comes from the increased wheel base. As that puts more leverage in favor of the front end. The lower gears improve the pulling aspect, not so much the tongue weight. Is this correct?
Jeepster63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #14
Jeepster63
2012 JK Wrangler 

In the above post, that is with identical springs. Ect. Strictly 4dr vs / dr.
Jeepster63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #15
PrinceBondar

Quote:
Thanks Prince,

Fair enough. I retract my previous chastisement (:
PrinceBondar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.