2door faster then 4door - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2door faster then 4door

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 01-08-2007, 06:40 PM   #1
bofer84

Location: lakeland florida/ seneca south carolina/tampa florida
2door faster then 4door

hey guys, i have searched and found nothing. How much, dare i say faster, is the 2 door wrangler vs the 4 door. Both rubicons and 6speeds. And also, do you think the 2 door is more fun to drive and gets better gas mileage due to the lack of weight..?
thanks

bofer84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2007, 07:20 PM   #2
julietkilo
2003 TJ Wrangler 

What are you doing racing them? You will need 24 inch performance rims, and cold air intake to get the most power out of that bad boy. Dont forget the high performance stickers either...

Air Force Loadmaster/Air Force Jeep Club [B]#12[/B]
[B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/i-am-petersens-4wheel-off-road-magazine-pics-526488/"]Me in Petersons 4-Wheel Off-Road Magazine[/URL]
[/B][/SIZE]
julietkilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2007, 12:02 AM   #3
daveyramone
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Trying to be serious for a minute, I would guess that the 2 door would have slightly better acceleration and get slightly better gas mileage due to its lighter weight. On the flip-side though, the 4 door might get better highway mileage due to its increased length and resulting better aerodynamics. These are just theories.

What does it really matter? The markets for the 2 door and 4 door are different enough that I doubt anyone will choose one over the other for a 1/2 second gained/lost in 0-60mph.

If you want speed, find a CJ7 with a 304 V8 in it! If you want gas mileage, buy a Kia.
Canadian Jeep Club Member #2
2005 Jeep TJ Unlimited
daveyramone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2007, 12:06 AM   #4
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

the 4-door is some 300-400 lbs heavier i believe, i would think the 2dr would be a good couple steps ahead

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2007, 05:11 AM   #5
UTAH

The 2-door has a sportier feel (if a Wrangler can be sporty) due to the shorter wheelbase. Conversely, I've noticed how the 4-door feels much more stable at freeway speeds due to the longer wheelbase.

Bill
Unread 01-09-2007, 06:51 AM   #6
julietkilo
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Forgive me for being a jerk, my first post didnt mean anything.

Seriously thought...

The 2 door is going to be lighter then the 4 door but remember what you have on the road aerodynamically is a "short" brick and a "long" brick. Jeeps are not aerodynamic and therefore kill gas mileage.

Look at the Corvette, its aerodynamic and has a 7 litre motor. Guess what, it can get like 27 mpg.

Whether you have a 4 door or 2 door, Wranglers will not do well as far as MPG. Alos take into account cross winds on the highway like we have here in CO. With a longer wheelbase more wind will kick you around with the four door so that also will kill your gas mileage.

2 door = Slightly better mileage/quicker acceleration
4 door = Slightly worse mileage/slower acceleration

But as was said before its only going to be small differences.

Pick one short brick or long brick..

[B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/i-am-petersens-4wheel-off-road-magazine-pics-526488/"]Me in Petersons 4-Wheel Off-Road Magazine[/URL]
[/B][/SIZE]
Unread 01-09-2007, 08:31 AM   #7
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

If you care... you should not be buying a JK...
Unread 01-09-2007, 10:09 AM   #8
robsbluerub
2007 JK Wrangler 

I am a degreed aeronautical engineer - my professional opinion is you couldn't tell the difference between the drag on a 2dr vs a 4dr. Having said that, friction and rolling resistance are the real drivers and the weight difference will impact that. I picked a 2dr thinking that after I add a bumper, winch, and bigger tires the performance will be no worse that a stock 4dr.
robsbluerub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2007, 11:00 AM   #9
julietkilo
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsbluerub
I am a degreed aeronautical engineer - my professional opinion is you couldn't tell the difference between the drag on a 2dr vs a 4dr. Having said that, friction and rolling resistance are the real drivers and the weight difference will impact that. I picked a 2dr thinking that after I add a bumper, winch, and bigger tires the performance will be no worse that a stock 4dr.
Where do you have your degree from. I am working on my right now in the Air Force. I fly on C-130 aircraft.
Not to sound like an a-hole but when someone starts their sentence with I am an engineer, scientist, degreed, etc... It sounds snooty. Opinions are like... well you know.

I do however agree with you that adding all the bumpers, tires, etc will bring your weight up and with a smaller wheelbase you wont notice as much.

[/B][/SIZE]
Unread 01-09-2007, 11:42 AM   #10
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfertig
Not to sound like an a-hole but when someone starts their sentence with I am an engineer, scientist, degreed, etc... It sounds snooty. Opinions are like... well you know.
Nonetheless I think he's probably right, the Wrangler has terrible aerodynamics, any slight improvement in airflow the 4 door might have over the 2 door in a wind tunnel is going to be offset by it's extra weight. Maybe if you only accelerated to freeway speeds once and kept it there for a few hours you'd notice an improvement in gas mileage, but the 2 door is going to have the edge in most situations.

I don't really care too much about it's on-road performance because I also ride a motorcycle, so every car feels sluggish (which can do 0-60 in under 3 seconds and has a top speed somewhere north of 150 for under 10 grand, buying a sports car seems rather pointless), what I do want to know though is whether it has usable power in the range I'm most likely to be driving it at.

So on the freeway, I want to make sure that even if I'm doing 70 I still can get some response out of the thing.

I'm thinking probably air filter, cat back system and a stage 1 chip will probably be on the shopping list when it arrives (along with all the usual goodies like bumpers and protection trim).
Unread 01-09-2007, 11:51 AM   #11
bofer84

who said anything about its 0-60 times, i know its going to be slow, i dont care about that, but i was just wondering which one would feel more...sporty ya know, kinda zippy. My moms miata is slow as heck, but it feels zippy, making it fun to drive, just wondering if the 4 door would do the same since it is alot bigger.
as far as the comment goes about "if i care, i should not be getting a jk".....well, maybe you should come with me to the stealership so you can pick out my next car..after all you are somewhere in the world on the other end of this line and prolly know me best
Unread 01-09-2007, 11:57 AM   #12
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Why not head to the dealers and take a test drive of both?

I'm getting the 2 door because I prefer the looks over the 4 door and I don't need the extra room (I also hate big cars, the 2 door has about the same footprint as a ford focus, albeit taller and heavier).
Unread 01-09-2007, 04:56 PM   #13
bofer84

yea i like the smaller sportier 2 door for city driving, but the 4 door for long trips from Fl to SC. ahhhhhh, what to do what to do....i guess it will all come down to price. Both will be rubies
Unread 01-09-2007, 05:39 PM   #14
solbergg

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfertig
Where do you have your degree from. I am working on my right now in the Air Force. I fly on C-130 aircraft.

I do however agree with you that adding all the bumpers, tires, etc will bring your weight up and with a smaller wheelbase you wont notice as much.
He was just qualifying his answer. If he started every post mentioning that he was engineer, then it would be snooty
Unread 01-09-2007, 09:04 PM   #15
ChopperKrawler

Yeah its all preference. I got the unlimited for the extra room I need for my two dogs, ice chest, gear, etc. My 05 Rubi was too cramped on long hauls. IMHO and others, the four door does have a smoother ride then again if thats all your after you could get a caddy. As far as which would win in a race, I guess the one with the biggest fast and furious, auto zone, three-tier, spoiler and tribal stickers.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.