2017 Navigation Update for 2009 Wrangler RER NOT 2017 Data - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-15-2017, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
denverj1ms
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 3
2017 Navigation Update for 2009 Wrangler RER NOT 2017 Data


I'm guessing you already know how the updates are not totally what they say they are but I just updated my navigation database to what was advertised as a "2017" update. After loading, I noticed some information that I had expected to be there was not so I checked into the disk I was sent.

On the install disk I found notation that this database is not 2017 but "2Q 2016". I had several back/forths with the HERE, INC. folks and finally they admitted that this was indeed the case. Gave me a song & dance about it taking 12-18 months to test before release. Not buying that but, since my old database was from 2012, it was still an update for me so kept it. FYI, the 2017 update CD installed version: N 1645 3.0.0 of the navigation database.
It took a while for them to even admit that; claiming that they don't know what Jeep does with the releases.

However be aware that this is the age of the information on the update in case you are tempted to shell out the $$ assuming that it really IS 2017 information.

Best, Jim


denverj1ms is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 08-18-2017, 03:26 AM
ohio79
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sidney
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverj1ms View Post
I'm guessing you already know how the updates are not totally what they say they are but I just updated my navigation database to what was advertised as a "2017" update. After loading, I noticed some information that I had expected to be there was not so I checked into the disk I was sent.

On the install disk I found notation that this database is not 2017 but "2Q 2016". I had several back/forths with the HERE, INC. folks and finally they admitted that this was indeed the case. Gave me a song & dance about it taking 12-18 months to test before release. Not buying that but, since my old database was from 2012, it was still an update for me so kept it. FYI, the 2017 update CD installed version: N 1645 3.0.0 of the navigation database. It took a while for them to even admit that; claiming that they don't know what Jeep does with the releases.

However be aware that this is the age of the information on the update in case you are tempted to shell out the $$ assuming that it really IS 2017 information.

Best, Jim
I've been getting the update reminder for awhile in map update. Is it worth the cost of the update and if so can a dealer do the install. I have a $75 credit and was going to use it towards the maps
ohio79 is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 08-18-2017, 12:51 PM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator
 
jwmbishop's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Corsicana, TX
Posts: 7,623
Garage
Sometimes its worth it - the newest maps no longer have me running off grid on a freeway exchange built 6 years ago! Don't have the dealker do it - it takes an hour and they bill that. Its EASY to do yourself, use the credit for something you CANT do yourself (or is messy lol).

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...
jwmbishop is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 Old 08-19-2017, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
denverj1ms
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
Sometimes its worth it - the newest maps no longer have me running off grid on a freeway exchange built 6 years ago! Don't have the dealker do it - it takes an hour and they bill that. Its EASY to do yourself, use the credit for something you CANT do yourself (or is messy lol).
I agree with 'jwmbishop'. You can pay shop to install but it is an easy self-install. Instructions provided with disks are easy to understand. Essentially: "Put disk 1 in & remove when done; then put disk 2 in & remove when done". If you already have the OS update installed - a simple check - you don't even have to do disk 1.

I didn't even have to sit through the disk 2 nav database update. Started it then went in for leisurely cup of coffee. Came back out to find it completed.

Also, I didn't mean to suggest that the update was not worth it, especially if your current version was old enough like mine was. Just wanted to make sure folks knew that the info was >1yr old and definitely NOT 2017 data.
Best, Jim
denverj1ms is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 08-20-2017, 08:02 AM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator
 
jwmbishop's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Corsicana, TX
Posts: 7,623
Garage
Mine came on USB thumb drive. Turn radio off, insert thumb turn radio on follow prompts.
jwmbishop is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 08-20-2017, 09:06 PM
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler
 
JTPhoto's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Gillies Ontario
Posts: 2,595
Where do you fellas get the maps update .. my 2008 has had software updates but never actual map updates.

^^Jeff^^
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, D44HD/J8 w/ OX locker and RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 2635 Predator Alloys, AEV Prem Bumper, Smitty X2O 12K ETC..
JTPhoto is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 08-21-2017, 03:13 AM
ohio79
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sidney
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverj1ms View Post

I agree with 'jwmbishop'. You can pay shop to install but it is an easy self-install. Instructions provided with disks are easy to understand. Essentially: "Put disk 1 in & remove when done; then put disk 2 in & remove when done". If you already have the OS update installed - a simple check - you don't even have to do disk 1.

I didn't even have to sit through the disk 2 nav database update. Started it then went in for leisurely cup of coffee. Came back out to find it completed.

Also, I didn't mean to suggest that the update was not worth it, especially if your current version was old enough like mine was. Just wanted to make sure folks knew that the info was >1yr old and definitely NOT 2017 data.
Best, Jim
Looked up the ordering process. Guess it's pretty popular because it's on backorder.
ohio79 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome