2017 JK Clutch Problem: Warning! - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 08-14-2017, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
azhang253
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 9
2017 JK Clutch Problem: Warning!

Purchased a brand new 2017 Jeep JK back in February. The clutch has been making a some strange noises: a rattling at idle coming from the transmission and crunching nosies when depressing the pedal. I'm guessing that the issue is caused by a bad throwout bearing or slave cylinder. Apparently, this is not covered by my bumper-to-bumper, and all clutch related items are only warranted for 12k miles and I'm at 14K miles. I've read many places on different forums that people have had the same issue, some even at as low as 8k miles.

So far, the dealership has been unwilling to repair the issue. They've told me that they've greased everything up to quite it down, but it will come back. I've read online that there could be incorrect pre-load on the TOB (TSP 06-002-07).

Has anyone repaired this issue at home? I'm pretty technically inclined, but I'd like to know what the correct preload should be, the TSP just vaguely specifies washers. I've also read that National has Moog throwout bearing that are of higher quality. Does anyone have a part number? While I'm at it, should I replace my slave cylinder or clutch?

I must say, that I'm highly disappointed in this transmission. I will call Mopar today and see if they will create a case and fix it free of charge. I will keep you updated.

Video of the noise: youtube.com/watch?v=-fy67KPexKA


Last edited by azhang253; 08-17-2017 at 07:53 AM.
azhang253 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 08-15-2017, 11:34 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care
 
JeepCares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MOPAR World Headquarters
Posts: 4,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhang253 View Post
Purchased a brand new 2017 Jeep JK back in February. The clutch has been making a some strange noises: a rattling at idle coming from the transmission and crunching nosies when depressing the pedal. I'm guessing that the issue is caused by a bad throwout bearing or slave cylinder. Apparently, this is not covered by my bumper-to-bumper, and all clutch related items are only warranted for 12k miles and I'm at 14K miles. I've read many places on different forums that people have had the same issue, some even at as low as 8k miles.

So far, the dealership has been unwilling to repair the issue. They've told me that they've greased everything up to quite it down, but it will come back. I've read online that there could be incorrect pre-load on the TOB (TSP 06-002-07).

Has anyone repaired this issue at home? I'm pretty technically inclined, but I'd like to know what the correct preload should be, the TSP just vaguely specifies washers. I've also read that National has Moog throwout bearing that are of higher quality. Does anyone have a part number? While I'm at it, should I replace my slave cylinder or clutch?

I must say, that I'm highly disappointed in this transmission. I will call Mopar today and see if they will create a case and fix it free of charge. I will keep you updated.

Video of the noise: /watch?v=-fy67KPexKA
azhang253,

I'm sorry to hear about this with your brand new Jeep--did you already reach out to our Customer Care team on the phone? If not, please send us a private message with your VIN. While you are correct that the clutch warranty is 12 months/12K miles, we would be happy to look into this further.

Kori
Jeep Social Care Specialist
JeepCares is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 08-15-2017, 02:32 PM
Bill123
Registered User
2016 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Clayton
Posts: 571
Garage
Don't let something like this get away from you, regardless of whether JeepCares actually does anything to help you or not. This is a major drivetrain component, so you don't want to have to repair this on your own dime simply because it was potentially faulty from the factory. That's why there is a manufacturer warranty. Take it back repeatedly until they fix it. That will also ensure that everything is documented. If one dealer can't or won't do anything, take it to another one until they finally decide to fix it.

2016 Wrangler Unlimited
2.5" Teraflex Lift
305/70-17 Toyo Open Country AT2
Fuel Lethal Wheels
Bill123 is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 Old 08-17-2017, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
azhang253
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 9
Update Post!!!!

Hello again JeepForum, got an update!

Yesterday, at around 2pm, I received a call back from the dealership service department. The mechanic I spoke to told the the issue was fixed. He told me, over the phone, that the issue was the clutch fork retainer clip (Iím not sure exactly which clip heís referring to, the clips that hold the throw-out bearing to the fork, or the little return spring that holds the clutch fork onto itís pivot point). I was told that the spring was replaced, the fork was greased, and the sound was 100% gone.

Strangely, when I received the statement of work, I didnít see anything regarding a clip, only grease, however; it may have been noted only as a part number that I donít know of fthe top of my head.

I picked up my Jeep from the dealership at 6:30PM, when I got off work. Unfortunately, after the vehicle warmed up (and Iím guessing as the grease was flung off) the issue was 100% back. I'm skeptical that anything was indeed fixed. I'm also getting worried about the condition of my pressure plate, since the pressure plate spins against the throw-out bearing, and I can hear a grinding noise when I depress the clutch pedal. The dealership service department reported that the throwout bearing was ok, however; I donít know how long it will stay OK. I realize that the clutch and pressure plate are wear parts, however; if they are damaged by a defective shifting mechanism, then they should be covered by JEEP.

I've taken another video of the issue. This video is taken only 18 miles after getting back from the dealership.

youtube.com/watch?v=53FwcGCMBNc (to watch, please copy and paste into browser, I don't have enough posts to post links)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
azhang253,

I'm sorry to hear about this with your brand new Jeep--did you already reach out to our Customer Care team on the phone? If not, please send us a private message with your VIN. While you are correct that the clutch warranty is 12 months/12K miles, we would be happy to look into this further.

Kori
Jeep Social Care Specialist
Hi Kori! Thanks for replying to my thread! I highly appreciate your efforts to help. I've already contacted Customer Care (I had to contact them in order to get the dealership to even attempt to properly diagnose the issue, as it requires removing the transmission). I'm supposed to receive a call from my Case Manager today, but I will likely call him and the dealership at noon since that's my lunch break. I will PM you my Case number and VIN. **PM Sent**
azhang253 is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 08-17-2017, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
azhang253
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 9
Update Again!

I got a call from my Case Manager, and it seems like Kori had updated him with info from this thread.

I will be bringing my JK back in for service once the dealership get one of their loaner vehicles back. I will updated this with more info once I get some!
azhang253 is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 08-17-2017, 04:14 PM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator
 
jwmbishop's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Corsicana, TX
Posts: 7,719
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhang253 View Post
I got a call from my Case Manager, and it seems like Kori had updated him with info from this thread.
You're in good hands with the care team...
The clip is a shot I would take if I inspected and found it not there. Unfortunate miss. Let em have another aim.

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...
jwmbishop is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 08-28-2017, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
azhang253
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 9
Update on the issue: I'm still waiting for the dealership to have a loaner vehicle available.
azhang253 is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 08-28-2017, 06:22 PM
Bill123
Registered User
2016 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Clayton
Posts: 571
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhang253 View Post
Update on the issue: I'm still waiting for the dealership to have a loaner vehicle available.
Personally, I'm not as much of a fan as some are about the care team. Once they sell you the vehicle, they are pretty much done with you unless you really push it. I would suggest that you keep pushing them because they certainly aren't going to push it for you.

2016 Wrangler Unlimited
2.5" Teraflex Lift
305/70-17 Toyo Open Country AT2
Fuel Lethal Wheels
Bill123 is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 08-29-2017, 04:00 PM
PootKlopp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 2
What state do you live in? Could qualify for lemon laws that can help if their is a problem with transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azhang253 View Post
Update on the issue: I'm still waiting for the dealership to have a loaner vehicle available.
PootKlopp is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 08-30-2017, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
azhang253
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 9
Update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill123 View Post
Personally, I'm not as much of a fan as some are about the care team. Once they sell you the vehicle, they are pretty much done with you unless you really push it. I would suggest that you keep pushing them because they certainly aren't going to push it for you.
I have no plans of letting up, I will keep pushing until the issue is fixed! I am documenting my experience here, but I will document it on Facebook, Instagram, my Dealership's facebook page, and other forums should it come to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PootKlopp View Post
What state do you live in? Could qualify for lemon laws that can help if their is a problem with transmission.
HMM, I live in Michigan, I will look into this!!

A small part of me wishes I was able to find a lower mileage TJ with an AX15 for a good price, I feel like I trust the 4.0/AX15 a lot more than the 3.6/NSG370 combo. I've got a 95 Cherokee with zero transmissions issues (just LOTS of rust and it had a cracked head, which I've since replaced).

Update:
Got a loaner car and took the JK in for service again today. The last loaner I got was a Trailhawk Renegade. That was a pretty cute and cool little car. This time I got a 2WD Patriot. I can't help but wonder what the point of a 2WD Jeep is haha. The patriot is way better on gas though, my JK get 16MPG Highway.
azhang253 is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 08-30-2017, 05:25 PM
John Strenk
Moderator
 
John Strenk's Avatar
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shalersville Ohio
Posts: 16,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhang253 View Post
... This time I got a 2WD Patriot. I can't help but wonder what the point of a 2WD Jeep is haha. The patriot is way better on gas though, my JK get 16MPG Highway.
Around here we call that a mail truck....


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John Strenk is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 09-12-2017, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
azhang253
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 9
Update!!!!

I just got word from the dealership today that my Jeep was ready for pickup.

I picked up the Jeep, and so far have only driven it 20 miles. The problem does seem to be fixed, and the clutch engages must smoother (funny how slow deterioration is always undetected). The dealership replaced the clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, clutch fork, slave cylinder and master cylinder.

Thank you Chrysler for fixing your product. I appreciate the customer service. I also hope that this fix lasts longer than 14.5k miles.

Will report back after I've put some miles on the transmission.
azhang253 is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 09-12-2017, 04:10 PM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care
 
JeepCares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MOPAR World Headquarters
Posts: 4,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhang253 View Post
I just got word from the dealership today that my Jeep was ready for pickup.

I picked up the Jeep, and so far have only driven it 20 miles. The problem does seem to be fixed, and the clutch engages must smoother (funny how slow deterioration is always undetected). The dealership replaced the clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, clutch fork, slave cylinder and master cylinder.

Thank you Chrysler for fixing your product. I appreciate the customer service. I also hope that this fix lasts longer than 14.5k miles.

Will report back after I've put some miles on the transmission.
Glad to hear you're back in the Jeep! Keep me posted on any other developments.

Kori
Jeep Social Care Specialist
JeepCares is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 09-14-2017, 06:20 PM
Centerforce
Vendor
 
Centerforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Prescott
Posts: 12
In your video it definitely sounded like you had a bad pilot bearing, which they should have replaced during a full clutch job. Glad to hear your issue was resolved without too much out of pocket cost!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Centerforce is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 09-15-2017, 04:23 PM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator
 
jwmbishop's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Corsicana, TX
Posts: 7,719
Garage
Yea I agree, pilot is conspicuously missing from parts list. 1 part shy of a complete rebuild.
jwmbishop is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome