2015 Wrangler lift question CO member - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2015 Wrangler lift question CO member

WIN a Rough Country Forged Track Bar - ExtremeTerrain!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 09-20-2015, 08:49 AM   #1
Oneoff
2015 JK Wrangler 

2015 Wrangler lift question CO member

Picking up my new Wrangler Ulimited Altitude and want to put a lift on it. Want to keep in mild, so what is the best options?

Oneoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2015, 10:29 AM   #2
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

That depends on what you want to do with it. Mall crawling or rock crawling will make a difference. More info is needed before you can get any meaningful answers.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2015, 11:35 AM   #3
Oneoff
2015 JK Wrangler 

No Rock crawling yet, however off road would be what I'd do mostly. It will also be mostly my daily driver just around town. Family trips in the Suburban.
I was thinking about 2.5" with off road tires. It'll be 2015 wrangler unlimited.
Unread 09-20-2015, 03:21 PM   #4
drth20
2014 JK Wrangler 

What's your budget and what size tires do you wish to run? Have you lifted a truck before?

Your budget will greatly determine which kit you'll end up choosing as you can lift a JK 2.5" for as little as $200 or as much as $3000+

Generally speaking, the most popular lift kits (with the best quality) come from Teraflex, Rock Krawler, Metal Cloak and Old Man Emu (I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two here).

Lifts from Rough Country (minus their BB kits), Rubicon Express, Sky Jacker, Ready Lift and a few others tend to get poor reviews or are eventually replaced for a higher quality kit. They tend to sag and loose their lift height quicker than others, although a few users haven't had any issues and have had many trouble free miles.

Everyone has different tastes and experiences with their lift. I ran a 2.5" Rough Country BB kit for about a year and had zero issues. Now, I have a set of 1.5" Rock Krawler coils and Bilstein shocks waiting for me in my garage when I get back home and I'll probably be adding control arm drop brackets and an axle-side track bar bracket as well, all depends on how much lift I'll actually net from the new coils.
Unread 09-20-2015, 06:00 PM   #5
Oneoff
2015 JK Wrangler 

I tend to purchase quality over price point unless there's enough people raving about a particular product that's also a really good price. Since I'm not familiar with the jjep products I just thought I'd get some good feedback from this forum. When it comes to classic pro touring, which I've been doing for many years, I know my way around, but the Jeep stuff is ne ground for me. I tend to do lots of research and get real user recommendations before I purchase, then the price doesn't matter, as long as its the best quality.
Unread 09-20-2015, 08:00 PM   #6
Reskar
2015 JK Wrangler 

i would suggest you read the MANY MANY MANY what lift should i get threads on here.
Reskar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2015, 12:39 AM   #7
drth20
2014 JK Wrangler 

+1 ^^^^^^^^ Otherwise this will just be a repeat thread of information that's already available. Also, join up with a local off-road club and talk to/check out their rigs in person. You'll get some good honest suggestions that way.
Unread 09-21-2015, 09:03 AM   #8
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

Just to offer my experience...

I bought my JKU in 2006, the only lift available was the Teraflex 2.5" spacer lift. That's what I bought and ran 33" tires. My intention was to only run it until a spring lift was released.

I ended up buying a front sway bar disconnect and ran the spacer lift for 80-90K miles before changing it out. I did add new shocks somewhere in there. Anyway, my offroading was mostly just mild dirt roads. Getting to camping/fishing spots. Some trails were a little tougher jeep specific type trails and a big of moab type rock crawling. I never felt I was at a disadvantage because of my lift...my driver skill and fear probably held me back more than anything. Even as my skill got better and the trails got a bit harder I still never felt like the lift was holding me back. I am not a hardcore rockcrawler and I enjoy a good trail but I don't have to take the hard lines and don't feel bad taking the easy lines and watching the others guys go for it.

I ended up switching to a spring lift more to carry extra weight than any other reason. I have seen no difference in the amount of flex before and after the spring lift.

Just my experience.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2015, 02:42 PM   #9
YATZI1980
2011 JK Wrangler 

Too many people think they "need" to lift their new jeep to go off-roading. You're best bet is to get out there and wheel it first. See what type of driving your will be doing and what mods will benefit you the most. You might want to just add some armor underneath first. Protect your old pan and transfer case and relocate or armor your evap canister. Get recovery gear so you can be pulled out. Tires for rocks and mud or snow? Build your rig to suit the type of wheeling you will be doing. Best of luck and enjoy !
YATZI1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2015, 03:02 PM   #10
Oneoff
2015 JK Wrangler 

The reason I want a lift is to put larger off road tires. I live on a dirt road community and when it snows, gets pretty nasty. I don't drive a lot so road manners really doesn't matter to me. I have two other classic vehicles I can drive when the weather is good. A 69 C10 truck with an LS376/515hp crate motor for fun💪💪💪 and 69 Chevelle SS convertible for pleasure. After that take the wife's Suburban.
Unread 09-21-2015, 05:29 PM   #11
YATZI1980
2011 JK Wrangler 

Check the will it fit thread....
image-3683533921.jpg

YATZI1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2015, 10:01 AM   #12
Oneoff
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YATZI1980 View Post
Check the will it fit thread....
Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.