2015 JK Skyjacker 4inch Lift Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2015 JK Skyjacker 4inch Lift Problem

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 12-08-2014, 08:48 PM   #1
BradleyK
2015 JK Wrangler 

2015 JK Skyjacker 4inch Lift Problem

I have a 2015 Unlimited Rubicon that I just had a 4" skyjacker lift (Part #JK0BPH) installed. Now, after two attempts at alignment, it has a serious case of torque steer. Under moderate to heavy acceleration, it veers to the left. When letting off the accelerator, if veers to the right. It seems to drive fairly well under steady throttle. I haven't tried it at highway speeds yet. The installer is helping to try to solve the issues and has always been fantastic to work with. He called Skyjacker today and was told that they were aware of the issue and that it had to be aligned perfectly to certain specs, which they provided. The alignment was attempted twice and they got close to the specs, but weren't able to fix the issue.

Has anyone seen anything like this, and how did you address it?

BradleyK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2014, 08:54 PM   #2
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Slop in the frame side trackbar hole?
Insert a 9/16" Grade 8 bolt.
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2014, 12:30 AM   #3
BradleyK
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails View Post
Slop in the frame side trackbar hole?
Insert a 9/16" Grade 8 bolt.
I haven't checked underneath myself yet because I just got it home, but my guy says he went through everything front and rear. I'll crawl under tomorrow and check it out. My guy says everything is good and tight, but I'll look. Thanks for the suggestion!
BradleyK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
TexanTJ
Uncensored & Honest

2014 JK Wrangler 

check what happy said. and furthermore, crawl under the jeep and grab and shake everything. Nothing should rattle and nothing should move.

Also, did your alignment guy give you any paperwork showing the final specs/measurements? That would help us.

Take a tape measure and check your toe in the old fashion way. measuring from the front side of the tire to the rear side of the tire, you fronts should be "toed in" between 1/8" and 1/4"... depending on tire size. I can only assume that you're running a 35-37 at 4" lift.
TexanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

a 1/4 inch? that is a lot of wheel scrub. Dont do it unless we are maybe talking 40" on the street.

Most of the issues will be the lift design. The drop frame side track bar mount(this is not a great way to drop this it adds to strain of the mount with out reinforcement) to the drop pit arm(not a great idea on that stock JK steering box) the lack of adjustable arms. I mean there are companies that make a kit to keep the stock track bar frame side one from flexing at the frame side track bar mount this kit just adds 3 inches it looks like? If that part was made more like this

Synergy track bar reinforcement and sector brace NO added drop, Ranch could have done it like this BUT added the drop to match that pit arm.

look how week that mount is they use compared to this. I would break that off road real fast.

You will be chasing gremlins. 4" inch lift that cost 500$(parts) never go well. I run 4.25 lift. On 35"s at 1/16 toe.
Unread 12-09-2014, 03:16 PM   #6
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

222Doc is pretty much always right, I'd take his advice over a pile of jeep shop technicians any day of the week.

Unfortunately you didn't really get a good complete lift. A 4" lift is HUGE on a Wrangler and should be running you in the $1500 range and up. (just for the lift) Add Shocks and front driveline and you're easily in $2200 territory.
With that much lift you're going to have to address your front driveline contacting your exhaust crossover. There are 3 or 4 methods to address this but it will have to be done if you plan on doing any wheeling at all.
A good lift kit will have adjustable control arms, adjustable front trackbar and a rear trackbar relocation bracket. Plus longer brake lines, extended bump stops and you will need to change your shocks which may or may not be part of the kit. And of course quality springs. Most AEV kits have drop brackets in place of the adjustable control arms and trackbar but are still quality kits.

Myself and Happy Trails are both running the Rock Krawler Max travel 2.5" lift kit that costst about $1200. I think he's easily clearing 37's with that lift kit. There are many quality options available though.

Sorry, it's a crappy way to put a damper on your brand new toy. Personally, I would take it back and upgrade to a better kit. What you've got now is, for one...not working, and two, a death trap that is never going to run right and is actually just going to tear itself apart over time.

Keep us posted as to what you decide..
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2014, 05:59 PM   #7
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

A PROPER 4 inch lift is in the $4000 range. Full kit (arms, shocks, springs, brake lines, etc.) front and rear trackbar, flip draglink, new driveshafts... not to mention that you technically need a different caster angle on your front axle assembly. Oh, and a quality brand helps, too - rather than one that spends more on advertising than engineering.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2014, 07:53 AM   #8
JLH
2015 JK Wrangler 

Its a shame people continue to get suckered into Skyjacker lifts. I've seen 4 of their kits installed on various Jeeps, and then removed because they all had issues. These guys refereed to them as Skycrapper. It would be best to remove the kit and return it if possible. If it requires such tight specs to work "correctly" it isn't engineered very well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.