2014 Tailgate Strength? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2014 Tailgate Strength?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 11-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
jeepfan30
2014 JK Wrangler 

2014 Tailgate Strength?

I have a 2014 JKU with a 35" Toyo M/T hanging on the stock tire carrier. I just ordered a Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, but wanted to get opinions if I need it. I plan to wheel lightly, but this is also my daily driver. I am a new JK owner and have limited experience, but the a Teraflex video even says Jeep reinforced the tire carrier recently. For daily driving will the stock tailgate be fine? Does anyone know if the 2014 tailgate has been improved? Thanks,

Unread 11-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

The main and most important thing you can do is to keep the tire snugged up tight against the tailgate if stock. If need be these will help you accomplish that.
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
mrwhipple
2012 JK Wrangler 

If you're really not wheeling much you're probably fine. You can't go wrong with the teraflex unit. Maybe just keep an eye on it and see if it starts to be a problem or not, thenove to the teraflex setup.
Unread 11-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfan30
I have a 2014 JKU with a 35" Toyo M/T hanging on the stock tire carrier. I just ordered a Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, but wanted to get opinions if I need it. I plan to wheel lightly, but this is also my daily driver. I am a new JK owner and have limited experience, but the a Teraflex video even says Jeep reinforced the tire carrier recently. For daily driving will the stock tailgate be fine? Does anyone know if the 2014 tailgate has been improved? Thanks,
I have a 2008 JKU with a 35" tire on a Smittybilt bumper + carrier. The carrier is such a pain in the azz, that I decided to go with the Teraflex reinforcement bracket on my 2013 JK (instead of selecting another bumper/carrier solution). So far, the Teraflex works as advertised; it's far more solid than I expected - well constructed and takes the weight off the swing-gate. The Teraflex unit basically places the load across the reinforced arm that fixes to the rear quarter. No rattles, squeeks or issues here and far less expensive than a carrier.

As for keeping a 35 on the rear and supported by the OEM swing-gate and welds ... depends on who you ask. Some people have reported popped welds, sagging gate, rattling, etc. I think you're asking for problems with the added weight; not a question of "if" but rather "when". How do I know? Because I ran a 35 on the stock swing-gate and I noticed that after a few months, the door was slightly lower and required a bit of upward motion when closing. I'm sure others have had zero issues without modifications to the factory gate; just my own experience FWIW.
DangFoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
lcolbya

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangFoo
I have a 2008 JKU with a 35" tire on a Smittybilt bumper + carrier. The carrier is such a pain in the azz, that I decided to go with the Teraflex reinforcement bracket on my 2013 JK (instead of selecting another bumper/carrier solution). So far, the Teraflex works as advertised; it's far more solid than I expected - well constructed and takes the weight off the swing-gate. The Teraflex unit basically places the load across the reinforced arm that fixes to the rear quarter. No rattles, squeeks or issues here and far less expensive than a carrier. As for keeping a 35 on the rear and supported by the OEM swing-gate and welds ... depends on who you ask. Some people have reported popped welds, sagging gate, rattling, etc. I think you're asking for problems with the added weight; not a question of "if" but rather "when". How do I know? Because I ran a 35 on the stock swing-gate and I noticed that after a few months, the door was slightly lower and required a bit of upward motion when closing. I'm sure others have had zero issues without modifications to the factory gate; just my own experience FWIW.
Why do you say it's a pain in the ***? I'm trying to decide between the bumper+tire carrier or the reinforcement bracket. Thanks in advance for your input.
lcolbya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcolbya View Post
Why do you say it's a pain in the ***? I'm trying to decide between the bumper+tire carrier or the reinforcement bracket. Thanks in advance for your input.
The Smittybilt XRC bumper + carrier is a PITA to be more specific (i.e. not all carriers). Two reasons: (1) The fit and finish is crap to where the locking mechanism has never lined-up with the post from day one; requiring that I push down on the gate whenever I want to secure or open it. (2) The Smittybilt is not integrated with the swing-gate, thus requiring that the carrier be opened and then the swing-gate. Other companies offer nicer quality carriers that integrate with the door for a single motion open and close.

I prefer the Teraflex bracket on my 2013 over the carrier on my 2008; it gets the job done and costs 40% what I spent on the carrier. If you hate the OEM rear bumper, then I could see getting a bumper/carrier or if you have your eye on another brand besides Smittybilt. I do like the AEV, LoD, and Rock Hard bumpers (with carrier) that I've seen up-close.
Unread 11-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
mrwhipple
2012 JK Wrangler 

Nice thing about the teraflex is it's light weight too.
Unread 11-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcolbya
I'm in the same boat here. I've been running no spare and have been real happy with that set up. But, now since I moved out of the city I don't like commuting 25 miles without it. Trouble is the teraflex price almost justifies a whole new bumper with carrier! Unless you go more towards high end.
Unread 11-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
MikeHoncho88
2015 JK Wrangler 

Love my teraflex hd carrier. Didnt push my luck to run without it. But it is a quality product! Im getting the hi lift jack mount for it tomorrow.
Unread 11-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
Mfrancis
2014 JK Wrangler 

$475 seems a lot to me just for a beefier bracket. Are there any other in between solutions or brands that offer better than stock durability? I have a '14 as well, so I would like to know if the tail gate has been improved over previous model years.
Black 2014 JKU Sport S, 6 speed manual, 3.73 rear end, 2.5" AEV Dualsport XT w/ Bilstein 5100s, 255/75/17 Goodyear Wrangler A/T, Rubicon rock rails, front grill mesh mod, Jeep door sill guards, matte black Jeep grill emblem, matte black exhaust, Synrgy upper and lower bolt swap(highly recommend), tires pending...
Mfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2013, 10:08 PM   #11
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoncho88
Love my teraflex hd carrier. Didnt push my luck to run without it. But it is a quality product! Im getting the hi lift jack mount for it tomorrow.
Can you post a pic after you install the Hijack mount? I've also seen a Rotopax mount advertised, but never seen it up-close.
Unread 11-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #12
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoncho88 View Post
+1 and been debating that hi lift mount for awhile now.

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #13
MikeHoncho88
2015 JK Wrangler 

Ok so i have the accessory mount on. Looks good. It can hold a hi lift jack, or you can buy a rotopax can mount, or you can mount a rotopax to your hi lift. It also has a tab for an antenna. Only issues i see are the antenna is really close to the jack. Not sure if thats gonna help my range. Also the top of the jack is high enough that drive thrus and parking garages might be trouble. The mount is very simple and rock solid though. :-)
image-193563922.jpg

image-3874428138.jpg

Unread 11-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #14
spinlock

If you have any doubts about the need for a tire carrier with 35"+ tires check out this unrelated video. It clearly shows the load and flex the spare can create

youtube.com/watch?v=3ZwMMlL-L_g
spinlock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #15
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Man that spare was flopping around more than Billy Idols wrist!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.