JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   2014 Rubicon Unlimited Vibration- MTs? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/2014-rubicon-unlimited-vibration-mts-1814658/)

Bayrat 11-21-2013 04:01 PM

2014 Rubicon Unlimited Vibration- MTs?
 
I purchased a new Unlimited Rubicon a couple of months ago. It seems the vehicle has a low level of vibration, more noticeable at low speeds but, always present. I test drove an identical two door and did not notice this. My old Rubicon JK did not do it. Seems more detectable in the seat of my pants than in the steering although I can feel some there as well. I'm wonder if this might be a bad tire or if all the BF Goodrich Mud Terrains are noisier than the factory Rubicon issue on 2008. I don't really want to take it back to the dealer just for them to say it's the tires.

Thanks!

1222 11-21-2013 04:19 PM

Although itís impossible to know exactly what you feel I can say that the KMs do have a slight rumble to them. The older they get the more noticeable it becomes.
:cheers2:

Bayrat 11-21-2013 04:24 PM

I was thinking that, my older Rubicon did not have the KM designation if I recall.

ROCKR8R 11-22-2013 07:51 AM

The KM's always came on the Rubicon since 2007. I think it is an option to NOT have the KM's come on your Rubi.

-Dan

brianjw 11-22-2013 07:54 AM

Low speed is likely the tires. Don't worry about it.

ancientspear 11-22-2013 12:04 PM

Try another one at dealership. It could be the tires but it could be you lost some weights and one of your wheels is no longer balanced. Having an unbalanced wheel can cause driveline vibrations and alignment to go out of wack, we'll so can muddy tires but that's another thing :)

Bayrat 11-22-2013 12:18 PM

All good advise, thanks. I believe the KM 2 is the newer version, could be mistaken. I'll have the stealership
check the wheel balance, wonder how much that will cost me if they don't find anything LOL! :eek:

1222 11-22-2013 02:53 PM

Yes the KM2s are the latest versions of the KMs and are far superior to the original KMs especially when the streets are wet however the ďrumbleĒ still exists.

You might want to check your tire pressure before taking it to the dealer. Lowering it just might help with what youíre experiencing, maybe. Itís not uncommon for the tires to be over inflated from a dealer.
:cheers2:

Bayrat 11-22-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1222 (Post 17930338)
Yes the KM2s are the latest versions of the KMs and are far superior to the original KMs especially when the streets are wet however the ďrumbleĒ still exists.

You might want to check your tire pressure before taking it to the dealer. Lowering it just might help with what youíre experiencing, maybe. Itís not uncommon for the tires to be over inflated from a dealer.
:cheers2:

Thanks for the tip, TPM shows them all equal at a couple of pounds above the door tag inflation pressure.

1222 11-22-2013 03:42 PM

Just for the heck of it try lowering the pressure about 5 psi or so and see what happens. If the low tire chime and light comes on just ignore it for the moment noting bad will happen. If you are going to do that then make sure you have a way to air back up before you try it.
:cheers2:

2013JK4Rubicon 11-22-2013 04:21 PM

I just purchased a new 10th Anniversary JK and have already got the factory tires sold. I am looking
at using a Rubicon Express a 3.5" Extreme Duty Long Arm and put on MT 33X12.50R17LT ATZ Radials
on it. I have some ancient experience wheeling back in the 70's with an old CJ-5. Any reccomendations?

brianjw 11-22-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2013JK4Rubicon
I just purchased a new 10th Anniversary JK and have already got the factory tires sold. I am looking
at using a Rubicon Express a 3.5" Extreme Duty Long Arm and put on MT 33X12.50R17LT ATZ Radials
on it. I have some ancient experience wheeling back in the 70's with an old CJ-5. Any reccomendations?

First, start your own thread.

Rubicon express isn't my idea of a great suspension.
You don't need long arms on a JK.
33s fit stock.
3.5" easily clears 35s or 37s.
3.5" will also require driveshafts.

And lastly, start your own thread.

1222 11-22-2013 06:09 PM

Hi 2013JK4Rubicon,

Yes please start a new thread with your question. If you need help in doing that then donít hesitate to send me a PM and Iíll gladly show you how.

Also welcome to the forum and we look forward to you participating with all of us here.
:cheers2:

Bayrat 11-22-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1222 (Post 17931746)
Just for the heck of it try lowering the pressure about 5 psi or so and see what happens. If the low tire chime and light comes on just ignore it for the moment noting bad will happen. If you are going to do that then make sure you have a way to air back up before you try it.
:cheers2:

I'll give that a try. Yea, I have two compressors fixed and two portable so no issue with airing up :cheers2:

Afmcronnie 11-25-2013 06:03 PM

I have a 2013 JKU auto trans, 255/85/16 KM2's. Tires are balanced, Jeep has 6000 miles. The last 4 weeks I have been noticing a low rumble in 4 and 5th gear under light acceleration. If Im in cruise control at 65 on level ground it's hardly noticable. As soon as the Jeep starts to throttle up for a grade you can feel the rumble. Dropping down to 4th doesnt change it. Going down to 3rd makes it go away. My first instinct was to blame the tires, but now Im not so sure. It seems to be very slowly getting worse. I rotated the tires about 1000 miles back. Anybody else hear of this? My gut is warning me its the trans, torque converter, maybe? Im torn between have the tire balance checked before I take it into the dealer, and just saving the money and taking it straight to the Jeep shop.


The time now is 12:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.