2014 lift kit ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2014 lift kit ?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 11-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
Totallytwisted
2014 JK Wrangler 

2014 lift kit ?

I've searched just about everywhere and I don't find any reviews on Procomp lifts. I'm looking at the new Procomp 3.5" lift that includes front and rear adjustable track bars, coil springs, and shocks. I will be running 35's and I have 3.73 gears. Any thoughts or advise on this set up? This is my first jeep so go gentle I'm still learning

Totallytwisted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
ncb

ProComp isn't known for quality lifts. Did you see the lift at 4 Wheel Parts?
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Like NCB said, ProComp advertises heavily, but does not emphasize quality.
Many ProComp users I've known have complained about springs losing their lift (sagging). Look into TeraFlex, Rock Krawler, AEV, Metal Cloak, et al. Those mentioned are very popular in this forum.

Do some searching here on the forum. I'm sure many have already lifted their 2014's.
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
Totallytwisted
2014 JK Wrangler 

Yes also on 4WD.com
I have also been looking at this kit
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits...pn=R%2fERE7142
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #5
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totallytwisted View Post
Yes also on 4WD.com
I have also been looking at this kit
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits...pn=R%2fERE7142
NO!!!!
Okay, I'll say it like it is, avoid Rubicon Express, Rough Country, Rusty's, and ProComp lift kits. (I'll probably catch Hell from some people for stating these brands, but oh, well).
You get what you pay for.
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
Totallytwisted
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails View Post
NO!!!!
Okay, I'll say it like it is, avoid Rubicon Express, Rough Country, Rusty's, and ProComp lift kits. (I'll probably catch Hell from some people for stating these brands, but oh, well).
You get what you pay for.
That's what I want to hear I want honesty. I have a budget in mind but if I have to save up a few more weeks I would much rather do that then waste money on junk.
I've never done suspension work but I've done a lot of wrenching if I can install it myself I could save on labor and get a better kit.
I'm being told that if I go more the 3.5" I will need a new driveshaft as this is my DD is there any truth to that ?
Unread 11-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #7
sean0168
2014 JK Wrangler 

I have a 2014 JKUR with a AEV 2.5 lift and 35's. It was a pretty easy install (I did not do it myself but helped) and I am happy with the results. I did add a RK adjustable front track.
jk.jpg

sean0168 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #8
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

At 3.5 in if you don't get them now you will need them in the future. You will want adj control arms to set caster front and pinion angle rear IMO.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 03:40 AM   #9
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

If you have basic wrenching skills (be able to tell the difference between crescent wrench and a channel lock), then you can do a lift install yourself. Having a friend give you a hand is definitely recommended though (sometimes you need an extra pair of hands).

To run 35" tires on your Jeep then you can do fine on only 2.5" of lift. Do you have a 2-door or a 4-door (JKU)? A 2-DR will get more lift than advertised due to it weighing less. I am running 37" tires on 2.5" of lift by just trimming the edges of the plastic fenders and trimming back the pinch seams of the body.

I recommend doing the lift install yourself and get to learn how your Jeep operates. If I were you, I'd just save up more $$ and get a quality lift. That way you won't end up spending more money by doing it twice.

The more complicated lifts (i.e. Rock Krawler 2.5" X-Factor Long Arm) may require welding and/or cutting. A JK (current generation of Jeep) has very large wheel wells and can accept relatively large tires without much lift. Most JK's run 2.5"-4.5" of lift and take between 4-6 hours (or more if you throw beer into the mix, LOL).

P.S. I just noticed your name, and laughed. Here, THIS is Totallytwisted (was my front driveshaft):
Unread 11-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #10
Totallytwisted
2014 JK Wrangler 

How the heck did you twist that?
I have a 4 door.
Is there any truth that over a 3.5" lift I have to get new drive shafts?
Unread 11-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #11
Totallytwisted
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean0168 View Post
I have a 2014 JKUR with a AEV 2.5 lift and 35's. It was a pretty easy install (I did not do it myself but helped) and I am happy with the results. I did add a RK adjustable front track.
I love the way that looks!
Unread 11-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #12
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I have a 4 door.
Pure, unadulterated, adrenaline-fueled lead foot-itis.
Actual conditions: 37's, 4.10 gears, supercharger, Rubi transfer case in 4LO, locked front and rear, stuck in the rocks, and left rear axle shaft already snapped. Got frustrated and floored it. Next thing I knew...front tires were not spinning. Looked underneath and there was my front driveshaft....TotallyTwisted like a candy wrapper. So, now I was stuck with only the right rear tire capable of moving me. Only took 3 hours of winching me to get up the rest of the trail.

Lesson learned (the hard way): Go with technique, not brute force.
Unread 11-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #13
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I have a 4 door.
Yes. I have an AEV 3.5" lift and my rear driveshaft is starting to go. It's simply a matter of time.
Unread 11-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #14
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I’m not going to get into what lift is best for you as there are several that will fill the bill. I will say however that you must do your research because unfortunately there are also a few kits for the JK’s that are less than sub-par.

Don’t be in such a rush to slap on a suspension lift and larger tires right away. Take your time and buy only once. In the meantime just driving your Jeep stock on or off road will lessen the anxiety you feel until it’s finally lifted.

Like already mentioned, if need be then just wait and save up for a quality kit; this is something you do not want to skimp on.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #15
ROCKR8R
2008 JK Wrangler 

Listen to Happy Trails on this thread (he has a nice lift too in the Rock Krawler). You can go 2.5” and fit 35’s and nearly skip the control arms, driveshafts etc… I say nearly, cause some few still have problems at 2.5” but not likely.

Some brands to consider, the aforementioned Rock Krawler, Teraflex, Synergy Suspension, MetalCloak and Clayton.

-Dan
ROCKR8R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.