2014 leaks bad already - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2014 leaks bad already

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
Gumby1
2014 JK Wrangler 

2014 leaks bad already

So i've had my 2014 for a couple of weeks now and it rained last night for the first time since i got it. Well the back seats are soaked to the point you cant sit in them and when i hit the brakes it pours all over the radio and down into the center console. Not impressed! My YJ or TJ NEVER leaked in all the years i had them, i figured with todays technology they can make a roof not leak on a brand new vehicle. I Phoned the dealer and got a "well thats wierd i dont know what to tell you sorry" Not even 200kms on it yet. Great quality Chrysler.

Gumby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
Neo1130
2009 JK Wrangler 

My 2009 soft top has 0 leaks. Top down all the time...

My 1995 hard top leaked before and after I took the top off.

The way you make it sound is that it could be condensation building up on the soft top inside and making it SEEM like it's leaking. I am just not sure how yours can leak the way you describe.

A leak would usually be found on floors and down the sides of the body... Not on the back seats and radio. Again, sounds to me like condensation and nothing the dealer can do about it if that's the case, I am sure...
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
Yendor
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have no clue wether you have a hard or soft top, or a 2 or 4 door. Help.
Yendor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
5foot19
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
I have no clue wether you have a hard or soft top, or a 2 or 4 door. Help.
He doesn't want help... That said, if the back seats are wet, I'd assume if he was using a hard top, it'd be a 2 door.

PS, my 2011 JKU only leaks when I put the hard top on wrong and the soft top, zero leaks so far *knock on wood*
5foot19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
Gumby1
2014 JK Wrangler 

No unfortunately its not condensation, there was a 1/4" water on the back seats and it poured in at the front (amount approx 1/16 of a coffee cup?). It seems to be leaking between the two panels. It is a 2dr with a hardtop. I have the two front panels off right now to see if there are any damaged or missing seals. I hadn't removed them up till now. Read a few posts about people leaving the rear 2 screws out and it never leaking, sometimes they are too tight from the factory?
Unread 09-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
Neo1130
2009 JK Wrangler 

Ah, silly me, I keep forgetting about how the new hard tops work.
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #7
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

I would not mess with it and would just take it back to the dealer.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #8
Gumby1
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmaveric View Post
I would not mess with it and would just take it back to the dealer.
Yeh i'll phone again Monday and talk to someone else at the dealer. I got the "sucks to be you" answer today about it. Crappy part is its supposed to rain all weekend.
Unread 09-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #9
LoneStarGecko
2012 JK Wrangler 

Definitely the Freedom top panels. Our JKU with hardtop has a similar issue.
Under heavy rain, as soon as you pull out of the driveway the water in between the panels angles forward and in to the Jeep.
We get occassional water right onto the radio also. It also collects in the family / roll bar plastic over your head and will pour out from there.
My 2 door with hardtop does it from time to time also. We are use to it. Hang a small towel from the cubby on top of the dash and let it drape over the radio.
Yes, it should not happen, but it is a Jeep and since the introduction of the Freedom top with split panels, it has been an issue.
Good luck, and sorry you are having the problem already on a brand new 2014 .

Gecko Green Jeep Club Member # 12
LoneStarGecko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #10
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

First thing is to remove the front panels and re-align them, then secure all the clamps and the two mid-section fasteners; next test with a hose.

If it's still leaking after that, then do your best to determine the point of entry (which will likely require some help: one channeling water and the other spotting from the interior).

My top was loose when I bought it; had to re-install the front sections and tighten. The leak can often be as simple as the panels not being aligned or the mid-section fasteners not being tightened (resulting in a gap between the two fronts and the rear.

We have a 2008 4-door and a 2013 2-door (both with hard tops) and zero leaks, but I did have to do the above jostling on our 2008 after some minor drips at the seam, shortly after purchase.
DangFoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #11
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

^^^ Well said, DangFoo... self-empowerment. 9/10 it is a badly seated panel. My Jeep leaked when I first got it, then I did some reading, took an afternoon (just like DangFoo said) and found the problem, seated the panels properly - and make sure they're seated properly every time they are removed/put back - and never had a problem ever since. It is amazing what one can do if one puts one's mind to it.

I suppose that the real problem is that the panels are removable and nobody reads the instructions. Then somehow it becomes Chrysler's/the dealership's problem (though I have little sympathy for either). I can point out several 4x4's and SUVs that don't have removable soft/hard tops - but I digress.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #12
deftones07
2011 JK Wrangler 

2011 jk. soft top all i have. never once leaked ever.

Its just like anything thast mass produced in the millions, you will get defects, unfortunately it happened to you.

20?? ?? 2 Door Stick Rubi Diesel - Next;)
deftones07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2013, 06:47 AM   #13
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Freedom Panels never leaked on my 2011 JKU. Just have to make sure they are aligned right and the seal is good. Also never used the rear screws.

Now the door leaks like a civ but that is nothing new.
Unread 09-08-2013, 07:55 AM   #14
Breitling
2013 JK Wrangler 

I got couple of drops out hard top, near to windshield between freedom sections after heavy rain. Two month old 13/JKU ...
Unread 09-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #15
AZBob

So does the 4 door hardtop leak too, or just the 2 door?
AZBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.