2014 JKU Oil Change Intervals - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2014 JKU Oil Change Intervals

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 01-06-2014, 01:03 PM   #1
krazymatt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

2014 JKU Oil Change Intervals

So I'm at 4k miles on my 2014 Rubicon and the vehicle says oil is at 49%. What are you guys doing as far as oil change intervals? Take the computer down to 10-20% which could be 7k-8k miles or just do it at an even 5k miles? Just trying to figure out what I'll be doing. The dealer will do it for $32.95 for synthetic blend. I think that's kind of tough to beat. Thanks for your input.

krazymatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
ROCKR8R
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have a hard time going pas 5K on any vehicle. Despite what they say. My Volkswagen GLI says ever 10K, no way am I doing that. I change it every 5K. My JK I would do it closer to every 3K but up to 5K sometimes.

-Dan
ROCKR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #3
krazymatt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKR8R View Post
I have a hard time going pas 5K on any vehicle. Despite what they say. My Volkswagen GLI says ever 10K, no way am I doing that. I change it every 5K. My JK I would do it closer to every 3K but up to 5K sometimes.

-Dan
Thanks Dan, I'm thinking every 5k done at the dealer to be safe since these engines have had problems. My 2011 Honda Accord takes me to 9k on the maintenance minder system and I run full synthetic on it and I have no doubts. I don't know I might run an oil analysis on the Honda one of these days at the 9k to see if I'm okay but according to others who have posted their oil analysis results Hondas are very easy on oil.
Unread 01-06-2014, 01:37 PM   #4
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazymatt
So I'm at 4k miles on my 2014 Rubicon and the vehicle says oil is at 49%. What are you guys doing as far as oil change intervals? Take the computer down to 10-20% which could be 7k-8k miles or just do it at an even 5k miles? Just trying to figure out what I'll be doing. The dealer will do it for $32.95 for synthetic blend. I think that's kind of tough to beat. Thanks for your input.
No reason not to follow the OLM as long as you don't go beyond the warranty requirements.
Just check the dipstick regularly and carry on.

If you really want to know, send a sample for UOA someplace like Blackstone labs.
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 01:40 PM   #5
krazymatt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiblet View Post
No reason not to follow the OLM as long as you don't go beyond the warranty requirements.
Just check the dipstick regularly and carry on.

If you really want to know, send a sample for UOA someplace like Blackstone labs.
That's a good point since after all the engineers at Chrysler should know what they're doing. I've heard that it's not good to drain out the factory fill oil too soon.
Unread 01-06-2014, 01:53 PM   #6
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazymatt
That's a good point since after all the engineers at Chrysler should know what they're doing. I've heard that it's not good to drain out the factory fill oil too soon.
I don't think factory fill is special for jeep, unlike the Honda fill. Honda uses some high-moly factory fill or something like that. I forget...

Mileage-based change intervals are a thing of the past. Some folks, based on how they use the vehicles, really do need a 3k miles oil change, others can go 10k or more without depleting the oil additive package.

With a respected brand-name oil of the recommended grade(s) and a good filter there's really few reasons not to follow the OLMs these days.

Well, two reasons... Not exceeding warranty limits and extremely dusty environments.
Unread 01-06-2014, 05:15 PM   #7
Tragyn
Registered LUser

2011 JK Wrangler 

Changing your oil too often isn't healthy. Why not follow what the dealer recommends? All engines are different, and I don't see why a mile marker should be a reliable measure.
Tragyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 05:24 PM   #8
mcicero

2014 JK Wrangler 

I agree that you can get away with longer intervals with today's oil but what about the first oil change? I work on an oil rig and every piece of moving equipment has a break in period where after a short amount of time you would change the oil then proceed with standard intervals. I asked the dealership and they said it wasn't necessary but I had them change it anyways at just under 2k (the first one was free). I am thinking I will do the differentials and other fluids when it gets a little warmer out. Also what about just breakdown over time and with temperatures? My old jeep and this one will only see about 3-4k miles a year. I like to change the oil at least every 6 months (once for the winter and once for the summer) even though I don't come close to the mile mark.
mcicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #9
Brando0275
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe I haven't pushed all the buttons but don't know where my 14 gives a percentage
Brando0275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #10
Lammy

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando0275 View Post
Maybe I haven't pushed all the buttons but don't know where my 14 gives a percentage
Probably need the EVIC which comes with the connectivity package.
Lammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 01:04 AM   #11
Jem450R

I go around 5k, sometimes a but more. I run a full syn. I think every 3k is a waste of time and oil on newer vehicles...
Jem450R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #12
Brando0275
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I found the olm. It said I had16% left, however, I changed my oil last week. I'm not sure how it's calculated but it has to be manually reset. Given that info, I think ill change every 5k and not depend on it.
Unread 01-07-2014, 10:07 AM   #13
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando0275
Well, I found the olm. It said I had16% left, however, I changed my oil last week. I'm not sure how it's calculated but it has to be manually reset. Given that info, I think ill change every 5k and not depend on it.
How many miles and months did you go?
Unread 01-07-2014, 10:28 AM   #14
Brando0275
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiblet
How many miles and months did you go?
It was 5600 miles and 4 months.
Unread 01-07-2014, 10:44 AM   #15
krazymatt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando0275 View Post
If it said 16% at 5000 miles then I would say you could depend on it as it seems right on the money. Mine was like %49 at 4k miles last time I checked. I'm assuming you do a lot of city driving?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.