2014 JK starting issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2014 JK starting issues

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 11-22-2014, 11:44 PM   #1
fresno49
2000 TJ Wrangler 

2014 JK starting issues

I am having start-up issues with my new Jeep,at about 10,000 miles wife and I had to get towed back to dealer when it didn't start,then again tonite at 23,000 doing the same thing as before.Turned on the key engine starts and immediately dies,try again nothing,nada,won't even try to turn over,the only difference was tonite when waiting for tow truck I tried again it started now were on our way home and it's like brand new again,1st time it went in dealer said the computer software needed to be updated,whatever I never heard of that,anyways is anybody else having this kind of problem?Thanks in advance Kev oh yeah stopped for dinner did same thing but again got it started

sorry false alarm, I put a code reader on it and it said something about a key,thats when my wife fessed up about losing hers and had another made I guess with no chip or something anyways as embarrassing as this is it could of been worse had it actually made it back to the dealer and me flying off the handle at them. but that still doesn't explain the first time it happened anyways thought you might get a laugh outta this so I didn't delete this
c-ya

Last edited by fresno49; 11-23-2014 at 12:52 AM.. Reason: I"m a *******
fresno49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2014, 06:50 AM   #2
Spoony1968
2014 JK Wrangler 

No chip in key? It wouldn't start at all not start and shut down. Most places that cut keys know about the chips in all new er cars.
Spoony1968 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2014, 07:39 AM   #3
Mlarv
2014 JK Wrangler 

I guess I would ask the wife were she got the key? The key may be programed to run the JK but it might have a problem. Just an idea not fact.
Unread 11-23-2014, 08:16 AM   #4
PaXJ
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoony1968 View Post
No chip in key? It wouldn't start at all not start and shut down. Most places that cut keys know about the chips in all new er cars.
Are you sure about this? Our JKU will start and run about 5 seconds with a non-chip key, however it is a 2007.
PaXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2014, 08:55 AM   #5
Spoony1968
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaXJ View Post
Are you sure about this? Our JKU will start and run about 5 seconds with a non-chip key, however it is a 2007.
Tried the extra pass key (aka no chip) no start period.
Spoony1968 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2014, 10:00 PM   #6
fresno49
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I just tried it again and it starts but as the key returns on? it shuts down she had it made at wal-mart
Unread 11-24-2014, 11:20 PM   #7
PhatBasturd
Got chiggers?

1976 CJ7 

After you get the key/chip situation straightened out and you have a no start issue, disconnect the battery for a minute or two reconnect and try starting again.

I have a 2010 that has done this to me twice in 4 years and disconnecting/reconnecting the battery cleared it up both times.

I carry a couple of box end wrenches in the glove box at all times for this purpose.

Sent from my over priced iPhone.
PhatBasturd is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2014, 06:57 AM   #8
Mlarv
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresno49 View Post
I just tried it again and it starts but as the key returns on? it shuts down she had it made at wal-mart
It sounds like a bad key. If you have both masters then I think you can reprogram them yourself.
Unread 11-25-2014, 10:57 PM   #9
fresno49
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatBasturd View Post
After you get the key/chip situation straightened out and you have a no start issue, disconnect the battery for a minute or two reconnect and try starting again.

I have a 2010 that has done this to me twice in 4 years and disconnecting/reconnecting the battery cleared it up both times.

I carry a couple of box end wrenches in the glove box at all times for this purpose.

Sent from my over priced iPhone.
I will remember that,I have a feeling its not if, its when,Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.