2014 JK News?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2014 JK News??

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Reply
Unread 01-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
LIJeepJC
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Merrick, New York
Posts: 1,055
2014 JK News??

Hey!
Got an email from Jeep announcing the new 2014 Grand Cherokee. It's a sweet SUV and I like the new styling changes. But most notably the new U-Connect radio! Anyone else see this?? Definitely a step up from the current 430/730N radios. So my q is, will this radio come out in the '14 JK? And, can it be retro'd into the 2012's??

Thanks!!

LIJeepJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
Doctorsti
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIJeepJC View Post
Hey!
Got an email from Jeep announcing the new 2014 Grand Cherokee. It's a sweet SUV and I like the new styling changes. But most notably the new U-Connect radio! Anyone else see this?? Definitely a step up from the current 430/730N radios. So my q is, will this radio come out in the '14 JK? And, can it be retro'd into the 2012's??

Thanks!!
Can't be retrofitted as it requires Chrysler's Powernet electrical architecture which the 2013 and older models don't have.

It's anyone's guess if the 2014 will get Powernet or not but if it does it means 8.4" touch screen radio, 8-speed automatic transmission, better performance and gas mileage, and more sophisticated crash safety protocols with which the powernet helps to coordinate.
It seems an obvious addition to me as it will make the highway mileage go up from 20/21 to 25+ due to having two overdrive gears instead of one in the 5 speed auto. they need to start to push this mileage up for the coming CAFE standards so I would think it would make sense for them to run the 8sp/pentastar combo for a couple years tweaking it until they release an all new Wrangler in 2016/early 2017 (think Grand Cherokee early release).

The new wrangler can then have the multiair technology from Fiat and a more aero shape to reduce drag coefficient and then we'll be talking 30/31 highway along with adding a 4cylinder/9speed auto carried up from the compass/liberty line that will get 35mpg highway.

All my opinion based on all my reading but it seems Marchionne has made insinuations that the 8speed will be on the wrangler soon but didn't say specifically next year as he didn't want to cannibalize 2013 sales too badly yet.
Doctorsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
LIJeepJC
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Merrick, New York
Posts: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorsti

Can't be retrofitted as it requires Chrysler's Powernet electrical architecture which the 2013 and older models don't have.

It's anyone's guess if the 2014 will get Powernet or not but if it does it means 8.4" touch screen radio, 8-speed automatic transmission, better performance and gas mileage, and more sophisticated crash safety protocols with which the powernet helps to coordinate.
It seems an obvious addition to me as it will make the highway mileage go up from 20/21 to 25+ due to having two overdrive gears instead of one in the 5 speed auto. they need to start to push this mileage up for the coming CAFE standards so I would think it would make sense for them to run the 8sp/pentastar combo for a couple years tweaking it until they release an all new Wrangler in 2016/early 2017 (think Grand Cherokee early release).

The new wrangler can then have the multiair technology from Fiat and a more aero shape to reduce drag coefficient and then we'll be talking 30/31 highway along with adding a 4cylinder/9speed auto carried up from the compass/liberty line that will get 35mpg highway.

All my opinion based on all my reading but it seems Marchionne has made insinuations that the 8speed will be on the wrangler soon but didn't say specifically next year as he didn't want to cannibalize 2013 sales too badly yet.
Wow, great reply! Thanks
LIJeepJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
Godholio
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: West Haven, UT
Posts: 1,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorsti View Post
It seems an obvious addition to me as it will make the highway mileage go up from 20/21 to 25+ due to having two overdrive gears instead of one in the 5 speed auto.
The gearing is going to have to be so close it'll be obnoxious. There's only so much room in the powerband to lower the rpms at highway speeds, I don't think you can get it low enough to hit an average of 25mpg and still generate enough power to push this brick through the air.
__________________
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
Doctorsti
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godholio View Post
The gearing is going to have to be so close it'll be obnoxious. There's only so much room in the powerband to lower the rpms at highway speeds, I don't think you can get it low enough to hit an average of 25mpg and still generate enough power to push this brick through the air.
Sure you can with the power the new pentastar produces. Remember there are two overdrive gears meaning they are equalling a lower final drive ratio or "more turns of the tires per turn of the final drive gear". Example the 5 speed 1:1 gear is 4th and 5th is .83 or something. On the 8 speed the 1:1 gear is 6th and 7th is 0.84 and 8th is 0.67. This means essentially when you are in your highway gear on the 5 speed you are only in seventh on the 8sp meaning you have a whole gear to drop down to that is significantly lower.

There is also a taller 1st gear in the 8 speed meaning more spinning with less power at 4.71 conpared to 5 sp 3.59. 2nd gear in the 8 speed is 3.14 so its very close to 5sp 1st gear.

The bashing of the 8 speed assumes the same gear "range" which if you know the facts is just not true. It would be stupid to replicate the same range with more steps as it would cause too much "hunting" as some would say. In fact the 8 speed has significant expansion on the available hearing and will not only result in better gas mileage but also significantly better performance no matter what shape the car/truck is.
Doctorsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 10:21 AM   #6
Godholio
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: West Haven, UT
Posts: 1,811
5th gear is that weak? I assumed it was taller. I recently swapped out a 4-speed to a 5-speed w/.67 OD in my other car, and the highway mpg went from 13 to 20.

I'll have to play around on the highway and see how much power is actually available at speed. I love the Pentastar but I'm still concerned that at a .67 ratio there's just no room without downshifting at the slightest bump of the gas pedal.
__________________
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
JeepCares
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MOPAR World Headquarters, Chrysler Group LLC
Posts: 2,422
From what I've been able to find out - no UConnect for the 2014 JK (think "carry-over" radios.)


Depending on the model - the following radios are currently available on the 2014 WK:

UCONNECT 5.0 AM/FM/BT (RA2) (Standard on the Laredo and Limited)

RA3 UCONNECT 8.4A AM/FM/BT/ACCESS
Includes: 8.4" TOUCH SCREEN DISPLAY (RFL)
GPS ANTENNA INPUT (JLP)
NAVIGATION READY (JLA)
ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE AND 9-1-1 CALL
(RSR)
RR VIEW AUTO DIM MIRROR W/MICROPHONE
(GN5)
SIRIUSXM SATELLITE RADIO (RSD)
UCONNECT ACCESS ADVANTAGE (RS7)
Nav. Ready-- See Dealer;

RA4 UCONNECT 8.4AN AM/FM/BT/ACCESS/NAV
Includes: 1-YEAR SIRIUS TRAVEL LINK SERVICE (X9F)
1 YR. TRIAL (REGISTRATION REQUIRED)
(X9K)
1-YR SIRIUS REALTIME TRAFFIC SERVICE
(X9C)
8.4" TOUCH SCREEN DISPLAY (RFL)
FOR DETAILS, GO TO DRIVEUCONNECT.COM
(X9E)
FOR MORE INFO, CALL 888-539-7474 (X9A)
GPS ANTENNA INPUT (JLP)
GPS NAVIGATION (JLN)
HIGH DEFINITION RADIO (RE8)
ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE AND 9-1-1 CALL
(RSR)
RR VIEW AUTO DIM MIRROR W/MICROPHONE
(GN5)
SIRIUSXM SATELLITE RADIO (RSD)
SIRIUSXM TRAFFIC (RSS)
SIRIUSXM TRAVEL LINK (RSM)
UCONNECT ACCESS ADVANTAGE (RS7)
__________________
Lee
U.S. Top Care
Chrysler Group LLC
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 06:36 AM   #8
Doctorsti
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
From what I've been able to find out - no UConnect for the 2014 JK (think "carry-over" radios.)


Depending on the model - the following radios are currently available on the 2014 WK:

UCONNECT 5.0 AM/FM/BT (RA2) (Standard on the Laredo and Limited)

RA3 UCONNECT 8.4A AM/FM/BT/ACCESS
Includes: 8.4" TOUCH SCREEN DISPLAY (RFL)
GPS ANTENNA INPUT (JLP)
NAVIGATION READY (JLA)
ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE AND 9-1-1 CALL
(RSR)
RR VIEW AUTO DIM MIRROR W/MICROPHONE
(GN5)
SIRIUSXM SATELLITE RADIO (RSD)
UCONNECT ACCESS ADVANTAGE (RS7)
Nav. Ready-- See Dealer;

RA4 UCONNECT 8.4AN AM/FM/BT/ACCESS/NAV
Includes: 1-YEAR SIRIUS TRAVEL LINK SERVICE (X9F)
1 YR. TRIAL (REGISTRATION REQUIRED)
(X9K)
1-YR SIRIUS REALTIME TRAFFIC SERVICE
(X9C)
8.4" TOUCH SCREEN DISPLAY (RFL)
FOR DETAILS, GO TO DRIVEUCONNECT.COM
(X9E)
FOR MORE INFO, CALL 888-539-7474 (X9A)
GPS ANTENNA INPUT (JLP)
GPS NAVIGATION (JLN)
HIGH DEFINITION RADIO (RE8)
ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE AND 9-1-1 CALL
(RSR)
RR VIEW AUTO DIM MIRROR W/MICROPHONE
(GN5)
SIRIUSXM SATELLITE RADIO (RSD)
SIRIUSXM TRAFFIC (RSS)
SIRIUSXM TRAVEL LINK (RSM)
UCONNECT ACCESS ADVANTAGE (RS7)
Well that answers that! If this is legit info and not a diversion to reduce cannibalization on the 2013's then it also means no 8-speed. No way do they put in powernet and 8-speed but leave the old antiquated head units. I've heard from reliable sources it was 99.9% confirmed NO 8-speed for 2014 but I had my hopes.
Doctorsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
zeke6785
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Philly, Pa
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorsti View Post
Can't be retrofitted as it requires Chrysler's Powernet electrical architecture which the 2013 and older models don't have.

It's anyone's guess if the 2014 will get Powernet or not but if it does it means 8.4" touch screen radio, 8-speed automatic transmission, better performance and gas mileage, and more sophisticated crash safety protocols with which the powernet helps to coordinate.
It seems an obvious addition to me as it will make the highway mileage go up from 20/21 to 25+ due to having two overdrive gears instead of one in the 5 speed auto. they need to start to push this mileage up for the coming CAFE standards so I would think it would make sense for them to run the 8sp/pentastar combo for a couple years tweaking it until they release an all new Wrangler in 2016/early 2017 (think Grand Cherokee early release).

The new wrangler can then have the multiair technology from Fiat and a more aero shape to reduce drag coefficient and then we'll be talking 30/31 highway along with adding a 4cylinder/9speed auto carried up from the compass/liberty line that will get 35mpg highway.

All my opinion based on all my reading but it seems Marchionne has made insinuations that the 8speed will be on the wrangler soon but didn't say specifically next year as he didn't want to cannibalize 2013 sales too badly yet.
Or they could release the CRD for American markets and average about 34mpg and make us all very happy.
__________________
2012 Wrangler
35" Pro-Comp Xtreme M/T
3" Full Traction Lift
Smittybilt Stinger
zeke6785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 12:37 AM   #10
Doctorsti
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 15
To jeepcares:

When can we expect something from Chrysler on the specs of the 2014 Wrangler? There seems to be a few media outlets reporting the 8-speed will be in the 2014 and statements from those supposedly "in the know" saying no way in 2014 but yes eventually we will see the 8-speed. I know it's only almost February but hearing and seeing so much on other Jeep brand 2014 vehicles makes me think we should hear something concrete soon.

Feel free to break the news anytime!
Doctorsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
Stilly
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
From what I've been able to find out - no UConnect for the 2014 JK (think "carry-over" radios.)


Depending on the model - the following radios are currently available on the 2014 WK:

UCONNECT 5.0 AM/FM/BT (RA2) (Standard on the Laredo and Limited)

RA3 UCONNECT 8.4A AM/FM/BT/ACCESS
Includes: 8.4" TOUCH SCREEN DISPLAY (RFL)
GPS ANTENNA INPUT (JLP)
NAVIGATION READY (JLA)
ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE AND 9-1-1 CALL
(RSR)
RR VIEW AUTO DIM MIRROR W/MICROPHONE
(GN5)
SIRIUSXM SATELLITE RADIO (RSD)
UCONNECT ACCESS ADVANTAGE (RS7)
Nav. Ready-- See Dealer;

RA4 UCONNECT 8.4AN AM/FM/BT/ACCESS/NAV
Includes: 1-YEAR SIRIUS TRAVEL LINK SERVICE (X9F)
1 YR. TRIAL (REGISTRATION REQUIRED)
(X9K)
1-YR SIRIUS REALTIME TRAFFIC SERVICE
(X9C)
8.4" TOUCH SCREEN DISPLAY (RFL)
FOR DETAILS, GO TO DRIVEUCONNECT.COM
(X9E)
FOR MORE INFO, CALL 888-539-7474 (X9A)
GPS ANTENNA INPUT (JLP)
GPS NAVIGATION (JLN)
HIGH DEFINITION RADIO (RE8)
ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE AND 9-1-1 CALL
(RSR)
RR VIEW AUTO DIM MIRROR W/MICROPHONE
(GN5)
SIRIUSXM SATELLITE RADIO (RSD)
SIRIUSXM TRAFFIC (RSS)
SIRIUSXM TRAVEL LINK (RSM)
UCONNECT ACCESS ADVANTAGE (RS7)
So what exactly does think carry over radio mean?
Stilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 06:18 AM   #12
LIJeepJC
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Merrick, New York
Posts: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilly

So what exactly does think carry over radio mean?
To me it looks like the current radio will carry over to the 14 jk
LIJeepJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 07:30 AM   #13
JeepCares
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MOPAR World Headquarters, Chrysler Group LLC
Posts: 2,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorsti View Post
To jeepcares:

When can we expect something from Chrysler on the specs of the 2014 Wrangler? There seems to be a few media outlets reporting the 8-speed will be in the 2014 and statements from those supposedly "in the know" saying no way in 2014 but yes eventually we will see the 8-speed. I know it's only almost February but hearing and seeing so much on other Jeep brand 2014 vehicles makes me think we should hear something concrete soon.

Feel free to break the news anytime!
The 2014 currently scheduled start is summer this year - the "normal" time for new vehicle production.

Not sure about any breaking news. I try not to post rumors. While they might come true; sometimes they don't. A lot can change between now and change over. Sometimes things such as supplier capacity restraints can adversely affect what's planned and what actually happens.
__________________
Lee
U.S. Top Care
Chrysler Group LLC
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #14
NMBruce
Member
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: , SW Colorado
Posts: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorsti View Post
Well that answers that! If this is legit info and not a diversion to reduce cannibalization on the 2013's then it also means no 8-speed. No way do they put in powernet and 8-speed but leave the old antiquated head units. I've heard from reliable sources it was 99.9% confirmed NO 8-speed for 2014 but I had my hopes.
One can hope, the radio would mean a dash redesign, where the Powernet and 8-Speed could be dropped in.
__________________
I knew I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque! - Bugs Bunny
NMBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #15
GreenRenegade
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Grovetown, GA
Posts: 228
The U Connect seems nice in pics and on paper, but if you don't go with the $1000 upgrade to Beats Audio, you will hate it. It sounds like doo doo. And when you order the Premium Radio, you get the lowest model (go figure)... It just means it comes with Alpine speakers, but still no sub and no bass whatsoever. You cannot swap the radio out for a different headunit, as the radio controls a bunch of other stuff, like your heater, AC, suspension (option)... You could get an adapter from PAC to run an aftermarket amp and sub(s), but you would have to rewire all your speakers from the new amp, as the old one gets bypassed completely. You would also lose control of your bass/mid/treble settings on the radio.
Info from 2013 Charger owner...
__________________
2013 Wrangler Rubicon 2dr
GreenRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.