2013 wrangler unlimited Sport axle ratio - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2013 wrangler unlimited Sport axle ratio

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 09-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
Acoop1990

2013 wrangler unlimited Sport axle ratio

I am currently looking into getting a 2013 wrangler unlimited sport. I am kind of planning on waiting until the beginning of next year or the end of this year to make my purchase. I'm hoping to get a better deal then since few new 2013's should still be on dealer lots and they will want to get rid of them. If I get a jeep I am planning on putting a 2 to 3 inch suspension lift on it and 285/75 Nitto Trail Grapplers, still undecided on 16 or 17 inch rims, feel free to leave your thoughts on that. I mention all this because I'm concerned about the 3.21 axle ratio that comes standard on that model. Since I'm kind of planning on taking whatever is left over on the lot from 2013 it's likely i'll have to take a jeep with the lower axle ratio. Is that axle ratio acceptable for a jeep with that setup? The jeep will be a V6, 6 speed manual, I would never have an automatic jeep, and be 4x4. I should also mention that I live in southern Ohio and don't plan on doing much trail riding. This jeep will be my daily driver and at most will ever be on a moderate trail, if even that. I am aware that I will lose some torque, but will it still perform close to stock levels when on pavement? Would I still have the ability to do an occasional easy to moderate trail ride without too much trouble?

Acoop1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 07:03 AM   #2
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Moved to JK Forum.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 07:39 AM   #3
Turbineguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoop1990 View Post
Would I still have the ability to do an occasional easy to moderate trail ride without too much trouble?
Yes. I have a buddy who wheels in a 3.21 sport... but...

You really should have no problem finding a 3.73 sport, even at closeout.

Warning: no matter what you buy, you will always wish for more.

I bought a 3.73 sport... about to put a prorock 44 up front with 4.88 or 5.13s (but thats another post)
Turbineguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

I would want 4.10s personally, but 3.73 would suffice. I would go for 3.21s. Might as well spend a few bucks more now and get what you want, rather than re-gearing down the road and spending a couple grand, right?

I have all manual vehicles again, I hate automatics. But this is the worst, slowest shifting manual I've driven. Feels like rowing a boat with a rubber oar. It has been rebuilt at 12 or 15k miles. The throw out bearing and sychros commonly have issues. The new automatic is supposed to be a great performer. I haven't driven one (again I just don't care for automatics much), but everyone seems to love it, and supposedly the gear ratios in the auto work better with bigger tires/lower gears. Also, I had a hard time finding manuals at the end of the 2012 model year.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

While 3.21 with 33s won't be bad in flat lands, I'd go for 3.73. I'd also go with 17" wheels you'll have lot more choices in tire selection. End of model year deals just means they will discount quicker, you can get the same price at any time. A dealer won't lose money they will just wait for the right buyer. Join TreadLightly at the $100 dollar level and get 1% below invoice a new 2014.

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
panthermark
2013 JK Wrangler 

Find one with 3.73's or you will be kicking yourself later....especially on a 4 door.

3.21's on a 4 door are only rated at 2000 pounds towing. 3.73's get you 3500 pounds....plus it is easier to handle bigger wheels.

I see why I'm a loner....and I love it!
panthermark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #7
Cmp8254
2012 JK Wrangler 

It depends on your definition of acceptable and where you are located (flat Vs mountainous), but I would definitely get the 3.73s. I bought a 2012 sport and have a similar lift tire size as you are planning and I am currently looking into regearing. Learn from my mistake, save yourself $2,000 down the road, and get the 3.73 gears.
Cmp8254 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
wilgeno
Bug-Out!

2013 JK Wrangler 

I bought my 2013 JKU Sport with the factory hitch/tow package and that came with the 3.73 gearing. Look for one with the factory hitch.

Bug-Out! http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/b...build-1568531/

I don't always go topless, but when I do I go Commando!
wilgeno is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #9
panthermark
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilgeno View Post
I bought my 2013 JKU Sport with the factory hitch/tow package and that came with the 3.73 gearing. Look for one with the factory hitch.
This is bad advice.

There are two packages available on the 4 doors for the non Rubi's.

Trailer Tow - which comes with a hitch and harness.
Max Tow - which comes with 3.73's, a hitch and a harness

So it is possible to have a JKU with 3.21's and a factory tow hitch.

Also, 3.73's can be ordered without a tow package....that is how I ordered mine.

Basicaly, check the window sticker for 3.73's.

Unread 09-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You WILL regret getting one with 3.21 gears. Do yourself a favor and hold off for one with 3.73 gears. If you can't find a 13 with 3.73's, get a 2014 with 3.73 gears. You won't save enough to cover a regear and buying a brand new Jeep that is already 1 year old.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #11
Acoop1990

Thank you all for your advice. I just ordered a 2014 wrangler unlimited sport with the max tow package, which includes the 3.73 gear ratio as was pointed out. I also got the limited slip differential and a hard top. I ordered it in the copperhead color, I can't wait!
Acoop1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 09:05 PM   #12
panthermark
2013 JK Wrangler 

Congrats...
Copperhead is sweet. Reminds me of Mango Tango....

Unread 09-21-2013, 06:10 AM   #13
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

The damn receiver hitch can be bought and installed for $70, if you need a "tow package"

Just try to get the 3:73's if you can otherwise you will be OK with 3:21's with 285's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.