2013 Soft top material questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2013 Soft top material questions

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-31-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
SBpunk
2013 JK Wrangler 

2013 Soft top material questions

So I just picked up a 2013 Rubicon 10A and had some questions about the soft top. The material is more jean pants like than the old stuff. We're moving to Oklahoma soon and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these tops in the cold weather? Do they hold up better than the old ones when it comes to heat? I know the back window doesnt seal up at the bottom of the zippers as well. Anyway do I need to pick up a hard top before I leave Hawaii or should I be alright with the kids?

Unread 07-31-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I live in Chicago and have hardtops for 3 of my 4 jeeps, ran last winter with just softops and have been selling the hardtops. The heater in a jeep is capable of practically burning you, so the hardtop is not really needed for heat. It's more of a personal preference thing.

Wait why I'm i trying to talk you out of it, I have a hardtop for sale if you're interested.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
SBpunk
2013 JK Wrangler 

Hahaha if you were closer I would snatch it up. Don't think driving over from Hawaii is going to work out so well > Thank you though.
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
ancientspear
2013 JK Wrangler 

Just install a snorkel and you will be fine
ancientspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
JWA

The new material is the "Premium Soft Top" option. It's similar to the material used on many other higher end convertibles, so it should be fine in all climates.

The change to the way that the back window is shaped and seals came in 2011 when they widened the windows and isn't directly related to the top material. The standard (same old vinyl) tops work the same. So far I haven't seen any issues with it sealing better or worse.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #6
SBpunk
2013 JK Wrangler 

Hahaha thanks everyone. On a side note (and I'll google this too) anyone having issues getting their top to fold down all the way. I purchased a MOPAR boot and I cant get the top down enough to get it in the boot.
Unread 08-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
JWA

I had that boot for my '09 JK with the standard vinyl top and it was a major pain.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
Matoskah
2012 JK Wrangler 

You must have a JKU, 4 door? If so the Mopar boot will NOT work on12 & 13's! I am a Mopar Parts Manager and ran into this, reported it to Mopar but they have not updated their info! Don't know why but it will not work on 12&13 4 doors!
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #9
SBpunk
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matoskah View Post
You must have a JKU, 4 door? If so the Mopar boot will NOT work on12 & 13's! I am a Mopar Parts Manager and ran into this, reported it to Mopar but they have not updated their info! Don't know why but it will not work on 12&13 4 doors!
For some reason the way the bows are set up they dont compress as low and flat to the tailgate as the older models. It doesnt matter how you fold the matieral (we even took it off) it doesnt sit right. Was pissed I paid that much for it and couldnt get it to work.

ANYWAY I decided that I'm going to take a 4 of the old US military wool blankets and sew together a liner for the inside that sits between the top and the supports. Going to use double sided velcro in some key spots and buttons to detach and remove the liner when I pull the top down. I know I'm making it sound easy but I'm sure it will be damn near impossible and make me want to blow up my jeep lol
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #10
mbilliaert

I went all last winter with a soft top in Manitoba canada and it did fine. I drove a half hour each way on the high way and there were some -40 days with a wind chill. The soft top did fine, other then don't try and undo the back window and put stuff back there cus it's brittle and the plastic will crack!
mbilliaert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #11
SBpunk
2013 JK Wrangler 

Sweet thanks. The wind in Oklahoma is brutal so thats good to know lol
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #12
skrach77
2005 WK 

I just finally got my soft top on for the 1st time this weekend. I don't see any reason why it will be a problem. I am apart of a pretty big jeep club here and have not heard anyone commenting or complaining about soft tops not holding up to the weather, no matter the season....

What part of Oklahoma are you heading too? You will have to join us and come along for some wheeling trips and fun and shenanigans, our group is always doing something- sometimes keep related and other times simply good fun or great for the community....
skrach77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #13
SBpunk
2013 JK Wrangler 

I'm heading to Enid. Got orders to Vance AFB Oklahoma
Unread 08-13-2013, 04:32 AM   #14
Wrigley
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBpunk View Post
Hahaha if you were closer I would snatch it up. Don't think driving over from Hawaii is going to work out so well > Thank you though.
Hawaii to Oklahoma?..........that's going to a culture shocker!

Mike
Wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #15
SBpunk
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrigley View Post
Hawaii to Oklahoma?..........that's going to a culture shocker!

Mike
I was stationed in Oklahoma City for over 6 years but the change of water is going to kill me for the first few months lol. It's always in the 80s here year round

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.