2013 Sentry Key??? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2013 Sentry Key???

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 07-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #31
CaptainEd
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuskid View Post
read this in a different auto thread and wondered if anyone has done this w/ their Jeep:

just make the 'valet' metal key w/out the transponder and put that one your key ring. Tape one of the keys that has the transponder, hidden, under the dash. Now you have a slimmer key on your key ring and the ability to start the Jeep.

Don't know about the rest of you but this key creep of gigantic keys is weighing heavily upon my pocket.

I'm ordering a 2014 shortly and thought I'd go this route if it'll work.

Be a big convenience when I'm fishing and worried about getting my electronic key wet.

john

sorry if this is too much of a tangent on the op's topic and is a hijack. hope it isn't
Hey that is actually a great idea. I have a valet key and I was also just pissin and moanin about the giant key thing also. I think I just might do what you say here. Thanks. Not a hijack at all!

CaptainEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #32
Dead-On
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuskid View Post
read this in a different auto thread and wondered if anyone has done this w/ their Jeep:

just make the 'valet' metal key w/out the transponder and put that one your key ring. Tape one of the keys that has the transponder, hidden, under the dash. Now you have a slimmer key on your key ring and the ability to start the Jeep.

Don't know about the rest of you but this key creep of gigantic keys is weighing heavily upon my pocket.

I'm ordering a 2014 shortly and thought I'd go this route if it'll work.

Be a big convenience when I'm fishing and worried about getting my electronic key wet.

john

sorry if this is too much of a tangent on the op's topic and is a hijack. hope it isn't

Maybe it's just me but I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish by doing this. As soon as you open the door with your non transponder metal key the alarm will sound. In addition once you start a Jeep it will just stall two seconds later. Is it your assertion that having a transponder key under the dash will somehow allow the metal key to work? I am not 100 % sure how these transporter keys work but I think the transponder key has to actually be in the ignition. When I first got the Jeep I put a transponder key on top of the steering column and try to start a jeep with a metal key and it did not work.
Dead-On is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #33
T00THD0C
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-On View Post
Maybe it's just me but I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish by doing this. As soon as you open the door with your non transponder metal key the alarm will sound. In addition once you start a Jeep it will just stall two seconds later. Is it your assertion that having a transponder key under the dash will somehow allow the metal key to work? I am not 100 % sure how these transporter keys work but I think the transponder key has to actually be in the ignition. When I first got the Jeep I put a transponder key on top of the steering column and try to start a jeep with a metal key and it did not work.
I think he means to use the non-transponder key just to unlock the door to get to the hidden transponder key. Then using that, shut off the alarm and start the Jeep. The transponder key has to physically be in the ignition switch to work.
T00THD0C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #34
Dead-On
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00THD0C View Post
I think he means to use the non-transponder key just to unlock the door to get to the hidden transponder key. Then using that, shut off the alarm and start the Jeep. The transponder key has to physically be in the ignition switch to work.
That would work if you don't mind the alarm going off every time you get in your Jeep.

On another note I just did a test with a plain metal key. I put the plain metal key in the ignition and tried starting it while touching it with a transponder key. The metal to metal contact allowed me to start the Jeep with the cut metal key.
Unread 07-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #35
lkmn1

Putting the key in the steering column will work. Here in Massachusetts where big brother requires insurance. If you do thus and the car is stolen and later recovered they WILL send it out to an auto recovery expert and they will check it. If they find you tricked the system or defeated it in any way. They won't pay for the damages at all. So I don't know about anyone else but I can't afford that. But I'm also a locksmith with a computer to program these keys so its a moot point for me. Just a friendly warning. Talk to your insurance co
lkmn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #36
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-On View Post
That would work if you don't mind the alarm going off every time you get in your Jeep.

On another note I just did a test with a plain metal key. I put the plain metal key in the ignition and tried starting it while touching it with a transponder key. The metal to metal contact allowed me to start the Jeep with the cut metal key.
It's not the metal to metal contact. Your transponder key is sending out a signal picked up by the receiver in the steering column.

What they are saying to do is tape/hide the transponder key close enough to be picked up. Then you can use a non transponder key to start the Jeep. This way you don't need to carry the bulky transponder key.

As far as the door alarms, if you lock and lock the door with the key as opposed to the buttons on the transponder key, you won't set off the alarm.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #37
Dead-On
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
It's not the metal to metal contact. Your transponder key is sending out a signal picked up by the receiver in the steering column.

What they are saying to do is tape/hide the transponder key close enough to be picked up. Then you can use a non transponder key to start the Jeep. This way you don't need to carry the bulky transponder key.

As far as the door alarms, if you lock and lock the door with the key as opposed to the buttons on the transponder key, you won't set off the alarm.
Not so with my 13 JKU... I just tested it again. I put the metal key in the ignition and turned it on then two seconds later the engine stalled. Then I set a transponder key on top of the column approximately 5 inches away from the ignition. I started it again and it's stalled in 2 seconds. Then I held the transponder key about an inch away from the metal key while I started it and it stalled again. Then I touched the metal portion of the transponder key to the metal portion of the ignition and metal key and it started. But this time it did not stall. After it was running I moved the transponder key back into my pocket and the engine stayed on. So I would say that it is safe to say the signal is transported via metal to metal contact not some sort of a frequency.
Unread 07-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #38
Dead-On
2013 JK Wrangler 

So I just sat here for 20 minutes trying every conceivable scenario. Under no circumstances could I get my plain old metal (non transponder) key to work unless one of the original Jeep keys was touching the ignition or the key. And even then sometimes it would stall after two seconds. I placed the two original keys on the column and a valet transponder key in my hand and this would not get the plain metal key to work...
Unread 07-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #39
lkmn1

It is frequency not metal to metal contact and most if the newer transponders are directional now because of people trying to override the system.
Unread 07-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #40
Dead-On
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmn1 View Post
It is frequency not metal to metal contact and most if the newer transponders are directional now because of people trying to override the system.
So I'm assuming this is why it would not work as others have suggested? The only time it worked is when the tip of a transponder key was touching the metal key but I'm assuming that's because it was pointed in the same direction toward the column???
Unread 07-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #41
lkmn1

Yup that's thf reason for it
Unread 07-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #42
Dead-On
2013 JK Wrangler 

Ah I see said the blind man...

Thank you sir
Unread 07-19-2013, 07:32 AM   #43
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

so, bottom line, sounds like my plan will not work, .

I do a lot of stream fishing and don't want to leave my Jeep unlocked and don't want to carry an electronic key. Guess it'll have to be a water-tight container for the key.

Thanks,

John
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 07:44 AM   #44
lkmn1

You can get a valet key without the buttons. It's pretty much waterproof. You just need to lock your jeep up with the key or manually not with the remote or power lock button this way the alarm won't go off. Earlier on in this post I listed the OEM part number and pics
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #45
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

The sensor for the sentry is a ring around the ignition switch. It is designed in a way to read the chip once it is inserted into the ignition switch. I doubt a hidden key would do it.

Bob K.
'13 Black 10A Rubicon JKU
nwbronco is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.