2013 Sentry Key??? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2013 Sentry Key???

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #16
lkmn1

I'm a locksmith and they should program up no problem as long as both keys your using are NOT a clone. The vehicle needs to see two unique coded keys to be able to enter the on board programming Just remember that if you lock the doors with the power door lock button or the remote an alarm will sound if you open the door using the key cylinder You will need to just put the key in the ignition and turn it on to stop the horn. Good luck

PS the Chrysler programming can take many many tries before it works

lkmn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #17
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmn1 View Post
I'm a locksmith and they should program up no problem as long as both keys your using are NOT a clone. The vehicle needs to see two unique coded keys to be able to enter the on board programming Just remember that if you lock the doors with the power door lock button or the remote an alarm will sound if you open the door using the key cylinder You will need to just put the key in the ignition and turn it on to stop the horn. Good luck

PS the Chrysler programming can take many many tries before it works
Do you mind if ask you a question? I've programmed keys for my old rig no problems. This new one has remote start. Everything took except the remote start, Is there a trick to it?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 02:31 PM   #18
lkmn1

An aftermarket remote start ?? If so does it use a by pass module or a key under the dash ??
Unread 07-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #19
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
An aftermarket remote start ?? If so does it use a by pass module or a key under the dash ??
No, the factory alarm/locks/remote start

Unread 07-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #20
lkmn1

From what I read it needs to have the computer updated at the dealer
Unread 07-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #21
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
From what I read it needs to have the computer updated at the dealer
An so they have me by the short and curlies. Thanks

Unread 07-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #22
lkmn1

Yup. Turn your head and cough. My dealer is been pretty cool only charged my 45 to do a computer reprogram for my uconnect kit. Hope yours is just as cool
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:22 AM   #23
CaptainEd
2013 JK Wrangler 

I keep going back and forth with my dealer and somehow he keeps insisting that the ONLY key available is one that costs 180 and has the lock/unlock buttons on it.
I see there are these available thru Ebay for cheep. Is there a certain key that I should get as I see the prices vary greatly.
Its a 2013 Wrangler 2 door with power locks. I am still having a real hard time with the fact that it costs 180 at the dealer.
My other issue deals with what lkmn1 states about not using a cloned key. I did not receive 2 keys when I took delivery. I am picking the second key up tomorrow night at the dealer but he said they need my vehicle to program the new key. What should I ask or look for when we go there? How would I know if they "clone" a key and then does that limit my programming options? I am feeling as if I'm only going to have 2 keys pretty soon. Thanks for any help.
CaptainEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:53 AM   #24
Dead-On
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainEd View Post
I keep going back and forth with my dealer and somehow he keeps insisting that the ONLY key available is one that costs 180 and has the lock/unlock buttons on it.
I see there are these available thru Ebay for cheep. Is there a certain key that I should get as I see the prices vary greatly.
Its a 2013 Wrangler 2 door with power locks. I am still having a real hard time with the fact that it costs 180 at the dealer.
My other issue deals with what lkmn1 states about not using a cloned key. I did not receive 2 keys when I took delivery. I am picking the second key up tomorrow night at the dealer but he said they need my vehicle to program the new key. What should I ask or look for when we go there? How would I know if they "clone" a key and then does that limit my programming options? I am feeling as if I'm only going to have 2 keys pretty soon. Thanks for any help.

The information is in this thread and the thread that I linked above. If your dealer is going to give you a cloned key you are good to go then. My dealer told me the same thing, they said that I could not get a valet style key. They swore up and down that I had to go with the $175 key fob. All you need is 2 transponder keys, it doesn't matter if one of them is cloned or not. With two keys you can make up to 8 copies yourself, screw the dealer. I paid $15 for two keys on eBay and did it myself. But you must get that clone from the dealer to do this. If you are unable to get the clone from the dealer go to a locksmith and pay $50 for a clone. A locksmith can make you a second copy with just one transponder key.
Dead-On is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #25
lkmn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-On

The information is in this thread and the thread that I linked above. If your dealer is going to give you a cloned key you are good to go then. My dealer told me the same thing, they said that I could not get a valet style key. They swore up and down that I had to go with the $175 key fob. All you need is 2 transponder keys, it doesn't matter if one of them is cloned or not. With two keys you can make up to 8 copies yourself, screw the dealer. I paid $15 for two keys on eBay and did it myself. But you must get that clone from the dealer to do this. If you are unable to get the clone from the dealer go to a locksmith and pay $50 for a clone. A locksmith can make you a second copy with just one transponder key.
That isn't true. A clone key and an OEM type key will not allow you to enter the onbiard programming. I do this everyday. The vehicle needs to see 2 unique key codes in order to enter programming mode. There are many aftermarket keys that can be used from companies such as Stratec (692352 part number I believe I can check when I get into my office tomorrow) or Ilco. There are many others but you can't use s clone if you want to use onboard programming in the future. BTW I don't know of any Chrysler dealers cloning
Unread 07-12-2013, 05:20 AM   #26
CaptainEd
2013 JK Wrangler 

Just a final update on this one. There is in fact a sentry key for the 2013 Wrangler, I have one now. The dealer evidently contacted the wrong person in the parts department and was given the wrong information. I persisted and was helped by lkmn1 with some awesome information and the key is on my ring. The initial deal between my salesman and myself was that I would get the third key which we shook on to finish the deal. Initially the salesman said the key was about 30 bucks, yesterday that key cost 120. I did not pay a dime extra. He honored his deal even though we didn't have it in writing. I found out that he is a decent guy and would definitely buy from him again. This is a great forum and had I not come here I would have probably just said the hell with a 3rd key. Thanks all, especially Jim. Have Fun, stay safe.
CaptainEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #27
Dead-On
2013 JK Wrangler 

I apologize for the misinformation. I was just going by what my local locksmith told me and what others said in the link that I provided. I did not have to go the cloning route since I already had two keys from the dealer. But two separate dealers did tell me that I could not get a valet key for my 13 JKU, they were wrong. I was able to make extra valet keys and program them myself at a cost of less than $10 a piece. I'm glad it worked out for you.
Dead-On is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #28
lkmn1

This should be the OEM part number for the key It's 05134937AA. And for those of use who are die hard jeep fans I am attaching a picture of the key and a transponder Jeep rock key. I hope
image-4199063457.jpg

Unread 07-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #29
roughandtangle
2013 JK Wrangler 

I bought this key on ebay had it cut at a local locksmith (for $10) and programmed it using my 2 stock keys. I then bought this key had it cut at my local locksmith (for $8) and programmed using my cloned key and 1 stock key. All of the keys work fine to start the car and have had no issue. I have 4 working keys for my Jeep and paid a total of $68 for my 2 clone keys (including getting the keys cut).
Unread 07-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #30
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

read this in a different auto thread and wondered if anyone has done this w/ their Jeep:

just make the 'valet' metal key w/out the transponder and put that one your key ring. Tape one of the keys that has the transponder, hidden, under the dash. Now you have a slimmer key on your key ring and the ability to start the Jeep.

Don't know about the rest of you but this key creep of gigantic keys is weighing heavily upon my pocket.

I'm ordering a 2014 shortly and thought I'd go this route if it'll work.

Be a big convenience when I'm fishing and worried about getting my electronic key wet.

john

sorry if this is too much of a tangent on the op's topic and is a hijack. hope it isn't
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.