JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   2013 Sentry Key??? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/2013-sentry-key-1544870/)

CaptainEd 07-04-2013 11:26 AM

2013 Sentry Key???

I swung a deal with my dealer that I was to get a Sentry Key (chipped) along with my missing at delivery second factory key. I have power locks on the fob. Since they had to order a new key the dealer said that they will cut and program them all at once this week.

Came to find out the when my wife made the appointment they said that they can't program a seperate sentry key for this vehicle.

Its a 2013 Wrangler 2 dr Freedom Edition. What gives? I found out last night after the dealer was closed and they are closed for the 4th. I am kind of mad right now. I would like a 3rd key for many reasons. Thanks for any help.

What do you guys do for extra keys?

RockyClymer 07-04-2013 12:42 PM

I had a third key made as an extra for the keybox, cost $170 for the key and to have it programmed by the dealer. They need one key to program another I found out....not cheap!

Dead-On 07-04-2013 02:17 PM

I just researched this subject last month. If you have only one key your options are limited. If the dealer can't/won't make you a second key then you will have to find a locksmith that can clone you a second key. I found a locksmith here where I live that charges $50 to clone a second key.

Once you have two working transponder keys you can make more transponder keys yourself. Just go to Ebay and buy either a sentry key fob style key or a regular transponder valet key. The key fob style ranged from $40-$90 and the valet transponder ones ranged from 2 keys for $15 delivered to $20 a piece. You then take that blank transponder key and have it cut somewhere like Home Depot etc... Then you program that key as per your owners manual.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/i...tions-1531300/

Vin 07-04-2013 02:36 PM

If the dealer says they can't program a separate key, it's bologna. They just don't want to give you a $200 key for free. Go to a locksmith. They can make you a new key and program it for half the cost (Still not cheap). Then take your 2 keys, and but spare(s) on Ebay and program them yourself.

ETA You just need to get the new keys cut before you can program them.

Filthy-Beast 07-04-2013 04:45 PM

total BS, without two key the dealer must do some extra coding in the computer to get the 2nd key programmed. From There its a lot easier to do the third. I would be very pissed for them lying to your wife. Do you have it in writing that they would provide you the 3rd key. If so go get it. I always make the 3rd key part of the deal and have a separate we owe you form that they sign.

CaptainEd 07-04-2013 04:55 PM

I am definitely getting a second key but I am p.o'ed about the sentry key lie. I also did get a third key that opens the console but that is kind of useless as I need a third key to start the vehicle. They didn't have the factory #2 key when we bought it and they are going to program one but it still ticks me off for the sentry key. I'm not done yet, I still haven't talked to Chrysler as they call when I am not home to see how my buying experience was.

T00THD0C 07-04-2013 05:12 PM

I got a blank, uncoded key from Ebay for $8 and my dealership cut it for free. I tried to program it with my other 2 coded keys but it wouldn't work. I have a 2013. The parts guy at the dealership didn't think I could code it myself on the 2013's, I guess he was right. Have to go back to dealership to get them to program it.

Deuskid 07-04-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T00THD0C (Post 15641543)
I got a blank, uncoded key from Ebay for $8 and my dealership cut it for free. I tried to program it with my other 2 coded keys but it wouldn't work. I have a 2013. The parts guy at the dealership didn't think I could code it myself on the 2013's, I guess he was right. Have to go back to dealership to get them to program it.

Why can you not program a 3rd key, as previous models could?

That seems like BS to me?

John

InfiniteMonkeys 07-04-2013 09:36 PM

I've programmed a 3rd key myself - just followed the e-bay instructions.
On a 2013...

Dead-On 07-04-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deuskid (Post 15641869)
Why can you not program a 3rd key, as previous models could?

That seems like BS to me?

John

If you read the linked thread I posted above you will see that is what two dealers told me about my 13JKU. I bought two blanks anyway from Ebay for $15 and had them cut. I was able to program one successfully but the other one would not work.

Filthy-Beast 07-04-2013 10:38 PM

I also have 3 my 2013.

CaptainEd 07-05-2013 05:23 AM

I thank you guys very much for posting with your valuable input. As a new owner I would otherwise be at the mercy of a dealership and not have anything to stand on. You can bet that I will be getting a sentry key as promised because of all the good information you have provided. We will see if shaking hands to complete the deal means anything to my dealership, I am hoping so. Once again THANKS!!!!

T00THD0C 07-05-2013 03:53 PM

I followed the instructions to the letter, but it wouldn't work. I tried 4-5 times. I'll give it another go, maybe I was doing something wrong.

Vin 07-05-2013 04:28 PM

Are you hearing the "ding?" I've found with all the Jeep type programming, we tend to count faster than Jeep expects us to. Try slowing down your count.

Dead-On 07-05-2013 05:40 PM

I bought two more blank transponder keys like this and had them cut at HD.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NEW-CHRYSL...#ht_1603wt_646

This time they both programed without an issue. It's nice to have two more extra keys for $15 without having to pay the stealership an additional $175 per key. There is a reason they call them stealerships...:laugh:

The time now is 06:03 PM.