2013 Sahara Gas Tank - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2013 Sahara Gas Tank

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 04-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #1
Saccone
2013 JK Wrangler 

2013 Sahara Gas Tank

I've seen this topic batted around a little bit, but I wanted to know if anyone has any thoughts

My 2013 Sahara has a 22.5 gal gas tank. The gas light comes on when there's supposed to be 2-3 gallons of gas left, but when I fill it up then, I'm putting in about 16 gallons. A couple times i drove for 30 miles after it said "Low Fuel" and the fill up came to 18.6... It seems like my DTE/Gas light are calibrated for the other models. Is there a way to fix this?
I know the answer thats usually given is you dont want to run it to empty, and I fully get that, but filling up now vs 4 gallons from now, is a considerable difference. I'd rather fill it up at 20 gallons, but without constantly trying to calculate rough distances and what the trip would read etc., it's just not gonna happen.
It seems like there should be a way to change this in the jeeps computer, but I wanted to hear what the general thoughts were

Saccone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2014, 07:49 PM   #2
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I don't know of any tuners that will make changes in the area of fuel quantity.

The best you can do is bring a can of fuel with you and see just how far you can drive after the light comes on. Of coarse, that will vary with speed and conditions.

While it can be said it's not good to run the pump until the fuel runs out, people run out of gas all the time with no apparent damage to the pump.

When the light comes on in my JKU, it usually takes about 18.5 gallons to fill it up. I know there will be plenty of gas to get me to the next filling station.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
Saccone
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks ronjenx
I actually drove around with my gas can once, just pushed it, to really make sure. Filled her up to 22 gal. I had hoped maybe this might reset something...didnt.
Talked to the dealer they "recalibrated my gastank" but didnt have any answers either

its not a huge problem, more of an annoyance, but if I'm runnin late, i know I still have 60-70 miles on this tank i could easily make it to the weekend or something, but when the gauge is pegged on E and DTE has been reading "Low Fuel" for a little while, I start to question my logic
Saccone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2014, 11:38 AM   #4
Neo1130
2009 JK Wrangler 

The reason they do that is to give you a buffer or "reserve" on your fuel. Yeah, it'll help save your fuel pump if you fill up at 1/4 of a tank but also they probably do it for the masses. If you don't pay attention to your fuel while you're out and about, then all of the sudden you have 1-2 gallons on your reserve... What's that? 30 miles till your run out? What if you're 40 miles away from the next gas station? I like having the 7 gallon reserve on mine... I ran about 30 miles after LO FUEL came on and I filled up with 15.01 gallons just yesterday. I keep trying to test it farther and farther so I know my buffer or "reserve." But if you get it calibrated where you want and get stuck after running out of fuel, I'll be the first to laugh...
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2014, 11:41 AM   #5
Neo1130
2009 JK Wrangler 

And when I fill up my DTE reads around 280 almost always... I will get 220 miles out of a tank. Have had SuperChips 87 tune installed for a while now as well. Just switched to the gas saver last week and have yet to calculate but the Lie-o-meter tells me I'm getting about 2-3 more MPG...
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2014, 12:41 PM   #6
thebgkoolio
2013 JK Wrangler 

Usually I fill up at 1/4 tank and end up only putting 15-16 gallons in it. With my work and school schedule 15 gallons will last me one week and roughly 250miles. I fill up every Tuesday night and its just convenient to re-fuel the same time every week. So I usually do not see my gas light but If i do fill up right after the light comes on it takes about 18 gallons. I don't like running it low on gas (saves the fuel pump) but I don't think that is too much a problem for me.

Sold: 94 zj -3.5" on 31's, bunch of other mods.
thebgkoolio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.