2013 Rubi Wheels on a 2009? (TPMS) - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 12-29-2012, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
JK4Three
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 141
2013 Rubi Wheels on a 2009? (TPMS)

Anyone know if the new design 2013 Rubicon wheels are backward compatible with my 2009 TPMS? I'm needing new tires and I might just go for a full set off of Craigs List.

JK4Three is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 12-29-2012, 04:55 PM
MGIMELLI
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: HOLLISTER
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK4Three
Anyone know if the new design 2013 Rubicon wheels are backward compatible with my 2009 TPMS? I'm needing new tires and I might just go for a full set off of Craigs List.
I'm wondering the opposite. Have a set of AEV wheels and older TPMS sensors that I want to put on my 2013. I'm hoping I don't have to buy 5 new sensors. Any one know?

2013 JKUR (NEW PROJECT) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2013-true-blue-jkur-build-project-blueberry-1475537/
97 TJ- 5.7L HEMI, (SOLD) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/97-tj-5-7l-hemi-build-1212248/
MGIMELLI is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 12-29-2012, 08:24 PM
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler
 
RockyClymer's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,804
Just use your 2009 TPMS modules on the new wheels....

08 JK 23S - Colorado Jeep Club No. 204
Too much to list - see my profile for details on build
16 JK Rubi with all the trimmings
NRA Life member
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline  
post #4 of 18 Old 12-29-2012, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
JK4Three
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 141
Maybe, but would need to pay to have them switched out and then the old wheel set will be less valuable without them. Googling around, it seems the 2013 TPMS has a new part number & different freq.
JK4Three is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 12-29-2012, 08:51 PM
BadTrainDriver
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Dublin
Posts: 231
2013 TPMS is not compatible with previous years.

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Stock, for now...
BadTrainDriver is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 12-30-2012, 08:17 AM
MGIMELLI
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: HOLLISTER
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadTrainDriver
2013 TPMS is not compatible with previous years.
So I would think the older ones will not work in a 2013 then?

2013 JKUR (NEW PROJECT) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2013-true-blue-jkur-build-project-blueberry-1475537/
97 TJ- 5.7L HEMI, (SOLD) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/97-tj-5-7l-hemi-build-1212248/
MGIMELLI is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 12-30-2012, 09:37 AM
nwpipelayerxj
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Salem
Posts: 497
Put in the tpms that are for your year of jeep, in whatever year of wheels you want. Is what I am understanding? Which makes sense..
nwpipelayerxj is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 12-30-2012, 11:09 AM
MGIMELLI
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: HOLLISTER
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpipelayerxj
Put in the tpms that are for your year of jeep, in whatever year of wheels you want. Is what I am understanding? Which makes sense..
Common sense would tell you that. I have a set of wheels with TPMS sensors in them from a pre 2013. It would be nice to not have to buy another set of sensors and re mount and ball tires and wheels. I will just mont them and see what happens. If I have get a new set of sensors for them so be it. I will report back with my findings.

2013 JKUR (NEW PROJECT) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2013-true-blue-jkur-build-project-blueberry-1475537/
97 TJ- 5.7L HEMI, (SOLD) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/97-tj-5-7l-hemi-build-1212248/
MGIMELLI is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 12-30-2012, 08:46 PM
nwpipelayerxj
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Salem
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGIMELLI

Common sense would tell you that. I have a set of wheels with TPMS sensors in them from a pre 2013. It would be nice to not have to buy another set of sensors and re mount and ball tires and wheels. I will just mont them and see what happens. If I have get a new set of sensors for them so be it. I will report back with my findings.
Copy. Over and out.
nwpipelayerxj is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 12-30-2012, 09:56 PM
jcavitt
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Brownsburg
Posts: 29
I traded my 2010 jk in on a 2013 and had the dealer swap my aftermarket wheels/tires from the 2010 (with 2010 sensors) with the stock 2013 wheels/tires with the 2013 sensors. (So to be clear, now I have 2010 sensors on my 2013 and the dealer has my 2010 with 2013 sensors.) Neither TPMS works with the wrong year sensors now, if that makes sense. I'll have to buy new sensors for the 2013 when I upgrade to larger tires. The dealer was going to charge me like $500 to break down all 10 wheels and tires to swap the sensors and they said they couldn't promise that the sensors wouldn't get broken when the tried removing them. Hope that helps.
jcavitt is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old 12-30-2012, 10:34 PM
nwpipelayerxj
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Salem
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcavitt
I traded my 2010 jk in on a 2013 and had the dealer swap my aftermarket wheels/tires from the 2010 (with 2010 sensors) with the stock 2013 wheels/tires with the 2013 sensors. (So to be clear, now I have 2010 sensors on my 2013 and the dealer has my 2010 with 2013 sensors.) Neither TPMS works with the wrong year sensors now, if that makes sense. I'll have to buy new sensors for the 2013 when I upgrade to larger tires. The dealer was going to charge me like $500 to break down all 10 wheels and tires to swap the sensors and they said they couldn't promise that the sensors wouldn't get broken when the tried removing them. Hope that helps.
Dang that's crazy how much they'd charge. I just did this the other day for $90 lol
nwpipelayerxj is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old 12-30-2012, 10:57 PM
gregaf3
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sin City
Posts: 3,875
Schrader makes most of the tpms systems and they switched frequencies in 2013. http://www.schraderinternational.com..._11-13-12.ashx


You can use the catalogs and cross reference places to get part numbers. For switching the sensors use service kit 20018 (2.54 @ sams club) DO NOT PAY THE $29 at the dealer for each one.

I had all of my sensors taken out of my old wheels, and put in the new wheels with all 10 wheels mounted and balanced for under $30 at my local sams club.

Professional Slacker
gregaf3 is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 12-31-2012, 08:02 AM
jcavitt
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Brownsburg
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpipelayerxj View Post
Dang that's crazy how much they'd charge. I just did this the other day for $90 lol
Yeah, they obviously just didn't want to mess with it. It's a pretty busy dealership. I think the actually were hoping that each system would "learn" the new sensors, not knowing they weren't compatible.
jcavitt is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old 01-01-2013, 10:16 AM
nwpipelayerxj
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Salem
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcavitt

Yeah, they obviously just didn't want to mess with it. It's a pretty busy dealership. I think the actually were hoping that each system would "learn" the new sensors, not knowing they weren't compatible.
Lol, which is why I never go to dealers
nwpipelayerxj is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 01-01-2013, 03:13 PM
jcavitt
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Brownsburg
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpipelayerxj View Post
Lol, which is why I never go to dealers
Well, while my 2013 is under warranty, I'm going to have them work on it so I don't have any voided warranty issues. From what I've read on here, Chrysler dealerships love to deny warranty issues. :P At least until I lift it, then it sounds like I'm screwed.
jcavitt is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome