2013 JKU strange smell - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2013 JKU strange smell

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
LTGreek
2013 JK Wrangler 

2013 JKU strange smell

A few month ago, I bought a new 2013 JKU and now when I hit over 4500 rpm I smell something burning. It goes away after a while but I am beginning to get worried.

My question is Has anybody else had a similar problem? If so, please help so I can tell the dealer where to look. Since they can't find anything.

No leaks,

last oil change at 4000 mile, she burned a half a quart of oil.

No broken hoses,

Not the smell of a semi burning up it's brakes,

Dealer won't spend the time to figure it out.

LTGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
genius

My 2013 unlimited rubicon did the same thing when I floored it. I would smell it coming through the vents when I slowed down. It stopped after about 5000 or 6000 miles. Never found out what it was.
genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

Ya I've noticed a smell like that a few times, I always just assumed it was a vehicle in front of me. Must just be some sort of chemical or paint or coating that wears off
AlbertaJeeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #4
wilgeno
Bug-Out!

2013 JK Wrangler 

I noticed a odd smell after driving to Duluth, MN yesterday. When I stopped I stepped out and smelled what was maybe oil or similar fluid burning. I poped the hood and looked around. I didn't see any signs of fluid leaks. Very weird. BTW: I just turned 1000 miles on her yesterday.
wilgeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #5
tonywauls

My jeep has 5000 miles on it and i just replaced the exhaust. Now ihave that smell too. I think its just burn off and will go away but definitely worrysome.
tonywauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 11:35 PM   #6
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

This will go away.

In 2006/-2008 there were many JKs with this exact same situation. Especially if you get them wet/muddy. I always thought it was the catalytic and/or the coating the put on the exhaust system. Idk. Just a guess. Btw, it stopped about a year later
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 04:10 AM   #7
tankinyj
2012 JK Wrangler 

First couple thousand miles on my 2012 had that weird smell. Completely normal, nothing to see here
Orange Crush Jeep Club Member #55
tankinyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 05:33 AM   #8
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Probably just oil from the manufacturing process burning off. It could also be just the environment. Sometimes I smell biting when driving but it goes away so I assume its someone else or a factory nearby.

If there is no smoke I wouldn't worry too much. Good news is you went to the dealer so if anything should happens or burn you have it on file you complained it.

Could also be the exhaust you're smelling. I'm sure they have oil in them from the manufacturer that will burn away
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.