2013 JKU Please Help, Nervous... Re-gear and Lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2013 JKU Please Help, Nervous... Re-gear and Lift

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-20-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
youenvyme

2013 JKU Please Help, Nervous... Re-gear and Lift

So I have a 2013 JKU (First Jeep ever and I love it!!) and of course I got the bug to lift it, re-gear and get 35's. Tires and rims will be in tomorrow but while I was waiting for them I installed the 3.5" Rough Country lift (all went well and rides great), just got home from the shop that installed 4:56 front & rear gears and pinions along with a new front carrier and here is where I am getting freaked out. Shifting points were off after the re-gear (I know I need to use the procal) so I figured I would use the auto shift until I got home to control the shift points, well it wouldn't shift at all. Got it home. hooked up the Procal and set everything how it should be. Put the car into reverse and nothing (checked the clusted and the R had the circle around it), the Jeep just revs so I put it into drive and felt it catch, back to reverse and it finally catches (this was problem #1). Get the Jeep out of the driveway and when I am at a complete stop and start to take off it feels like I have a race car stall converter in my Jeep, the Jeep doesn't budge until I hit 1000 rpms and it feels like i'm letting out the clutch on my Mustang!! I do not understand why I cannot shift with my auto stick anymore and will obviously go to the dealer tomorrow because of that but can this clutch like feeling be because of the new gears (maybe the break in process??)? I have never done this before, my Jeep has less than 7000 miles on it and I am just freaking out a little. It looks great, can't wait to get my rims and tires tomorrow but I love off-roading and I hope something didn't get f'd up while the gears were getting done!!
I hope someone is able to give me some kind of good news or at least tell me what might be happening, thank you all in advance....

youenvyme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
aznjeep

2013 JK Wrangler 

I'm not a certified mechanic.. but from what you described, the diff gears would have nothing to do with your transmission not going into reverse. Yes, your shift points will be off until you recalibrate them, but again, that only addresses your shift points. On that note, make sure you have a newer ProCal unit (compatible with 2012+), or at least sent an old one back to have it reflashed (or something like that). Back to the transmission... I'd check your transmission fluid level for starters. But why the Auto-Stick isn't working? No clue on that one...
'99 TJ "L'il Pepper" (sold)
aznjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
AEVBrute

sounds like you have the wrong procal.
AEVBrute is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
youenvyme

I just dropped the keys and Jeep back off at the shop that did the gears (night time drop box). After driving the car around the block a few times at low speed there is a super loud squeal coming from the front axel, I really think they messed something up. Maybe that's why its dragging until the rpms are up, maybe they bent or over tightened something. Its sounds like metal squealing on metal.
Unread 08-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #5
Reluctant
2013 JK Wrangler 

Sheesh, I'm freaking out for you! Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Unread 08-21-2013, 03:59 AM   #6
rayder1

Sounds like they screwed something up bad. Tell them to fix it until it works. Get the phone number of your bureau of automotive repair and get them on it now.

Then do not accept the jeep back until they hand write a minimum 1 year parts and labor warrantee. Anything short of that, or if they screw with you in the least, , let them know you will publicly flame them on every social media outlet you find.

The "pen" so to speak is a mighty instrument. If word gets out that they do poor work from everyone in town...it usually prompts action.
rayder1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Yikes. Exactly why I did my gears myself - expensive and time consuming but at least I have piece of mind that it was done right.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
ncb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayder1
Sounds like they screwed something up bad. Tell them to fix it until it works. Get the phone number of your bureau of automotive repair and get them on it now.

Then do not accept the jeep back until they hand write a minimum 1 year parts and labor warrantee. Anything short of that, or if they screw with you in the least, , let them know you will publicly flame them on every social media outlet you find.

The "pen" so to speak is a mighty instrument. If word gets out that they do poor work from everyone in town...it usually prompts action.
Or maybe give them a chance to correct it before going bat **** crazy.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
youenvyme

Ok so maybe I over reacted or maybe not. The transmission slip and shifting was the fault of the Procal obviously, I wiped everything and flashed the jeep again and it works perfect. As for the sqeal sound, they looked and looked this morning and could not find any problems, then he said "you've only driven 5 miles, it's possible that it was just a sound from the gear and pinion marrying together. Drive it a little more because the sound is not there anymore and if there are any other issues, just bring it back and I will fix it.". I did just that, all day today I have been driving it, trans if fine, lots of power, LOOKS AMAZING and my new favorite part, the squeal is gone!!!

Unread 08-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
Jeepit85
1985 CJ7 

Ring and pinions shouldn't squeal....ever.
85 CJ7, Howell TBI, Twin Stick, 4:10's, 35" Pitbull Rockers, Clifford 6=8, Detroits, Matkins Level II, BDS 4", Summers Brothers. Skynyrd rocks.
06 Rubicon
06 Lance Camper
02 Dodge Cummins
06 VW Jetta TDI
Jeepit85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

My guess is with the ProCal not setting the gear and tires sizes correctly you were in limp mode.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #12
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

NOPE, ring/pinion don't make a sound when installed correctly and have the required amount of diff. fluid ! but

The new gear sets create a LOTTA HEAT--up to 300f

I hope they informed you of the REQUIRED 500 mile breakin with various steps of useage

Good luck

JIMBO-
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #13
rayder1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb

Or maybe give them a chance to correct it before going bat **** crazy.
I know... But that shop should never have let the Jeep out of the shop like that. Totally irresponsible. I am saying to pull out all the stops because chances are they jacked something up and may have caused some costly damage. Time to protect ones-self with thorough documentation.
rayder1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2014, 10:30 AM   #14
Duff163
2013 JK Wrangler 

The mods you did to your Sahara are incredible. Mind sharing the details of the tire and rim combination?
Duff163 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.