2013 JK Rubicon burning smell?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2013 JK Rubicon burning smell??

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 11-05-2012, 12:33 AM   #1
Arsenalman007
2013 JK Wrangler 

2013 JK Rubicon burning smell??

Hey guys, I'm no mechanic or engineer or even remotely good with automobiles, though it's something I'd like to get into, especially with a brand new Rubicon.

But anyways, I've taken it into mud/muddy water several times now (to where there is mud residue underneath the hood [everything looks like it's well sealed]), and when I was driving on the highway, I noticed a burning smell that persisted until I turned on the AC. The smell cleared immediately afterwards, and although I turned the AC off, the smell did not return. I was also driving down a (relatively) steep grade and following a semi - perhaps the smell came from it.

And, to top it all off, I had taken it into 4WD at speeds of 45 mph the day before until I started to smell something ELSE burning (I was told that it was from the heating of the oil or the heating of gears). Yes, this is my first 4WD capable vehicle, and yes, I was told by the dealer to use 4WD in speeds no higher than 45. So please, feel free to flame or laugh. As long as you can explain what was wrong!

So: Why was I smelling something while driving on the highway? I was in Cruise at 77 mph, (obviously) not in 4WD, all the gauges were reading correct, gas mileage did not suffer, driving down a 7% grade slope, and in a brand-new rig.

Thanks for schooling me in the ways of jeeps

Arsenalman007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2012, 12:52 AM   #2
Coolcatracing
2008 JK Wrangler 

Check for leaks, if you don't find any don't worry about it. If you do then take it to the dealer, they should be your first stop, you paid for the warranty so you might as well use it.
08 Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed, 315/70-16 Kelly TSR, 1.5" Spidertrax spacers factory Moab's, Rubicon Express Flex arm 3.5" lift, Smittybilt XRC front bumper with D-rings, Body Armor Extreme rock slider steps, AEV snorkel, trimmed fender flares, Hella 8" HID driving lights
Coolcatracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2012, 02:12 AM   #3
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Following a semi on a steep downgrade you most likely smelled his brakes. Itís very common for semis to do that.

Also common is that new Jeeps will tend to smell like something is burning from the oils on the exhaust system. Some Jeeps take longer than others to burn it off. Just how new is your Jeep?
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

New Catalytic converters STINK when they get hot for the first month or so, plus you have all kind of oils and what not on the engine surfaces.
It's good that you're aware of it, but it's most likely completely normal...
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
JeepCares

Arsenalman007 - first of all, thanks for your purchase. All the above explanations are plausible.
If in doubt, contact your dealer.
Unread 11-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #6
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Sounds pretty normal for a new vehicle. Breaking in gears, catalytic converters, burning off new paint, etc etc. If a visual inspection turns up with no leaks I wouldn't worry about it personally.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #7
farmer-dave1
2008 JK Wrangler 

I occasionally get a burning smell on mine, and I've recognized it's a good time to either wash or blow out the underside of my jeep. Real easy to catch some weeds, grass and dirt that collect around the exhaust/ catalytic area. Might not hurt to take a hose to it.
farmer-dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
PhatJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenalman007 View Post

But anyways, I've taken it into mud/muddy water several times now (to where there is mud residue underneath the hood [everything looks like it's well sealed]), ...
This is why I hate getting into mud. It sticks inside the JK underbelly and takes forever to wash clean. When dried, the caked mud behaves like sandpaper and plays havoc on the running gear and drive-train.

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="White"][B]09 Unlimited Rubicon [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Teraflex 2.5" spring lift kit
ORFAB tire carrier
PhatJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
robplumm
2012 JK Wrangler 

As said...normal. It'll go away after the "new" wears off.
robplumm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #10
Arsenalman007
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatJK View Post
This is why I hate getting into mud. It sticks inside the JK underbelly and takes forever to wash clean. When dried, the caked mud behaves like sandpaper and plays havoc on the running gear and drive-train.
oh. ohhh. this I did not know! hmmmm. what's the most effective way to clean its underbelly? just a hose?
Unread 11-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #11
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
oh. ohhh. this I did not know! hmmmm. what's the most effective way to clean its underbelly? just a hose?
Well here in Utah with our evil mud I have to clean mine in several sessions as its nearly impossible to get it all off the first time...
Just take a hose or car wash sprayer to it.....
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #12
Doctor7474
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Park Jeep in front yard and stick a sled style water sprinkler under it.
Doctor7474 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #13
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Pressure washers are nice, but I've used a sprinkler underneath several times too.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #14
Arsenalman007
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor7474 View Post
Park Jeep in front yard and stick a sled style water sprinkler under it.
lol, I like it. Nice and simple, yet elegant.
Unread 11-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #15
PhatJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I usually go to the car booth washing place and use its high pressure washer to get most the mud off. Bring a lot of quaters. In some place you get into trouble with the owners because the mud clog up their drainage. Concentrate on the engine, transmission, and driveline area.

Then just slowly spray off the remaining mud that got stuck is various crevices when you do your normal car washing at home.

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="White"][B]09 Unlimited Rubicon [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Teraflex 2.5" spring lift kit
ORFAB tire carrier
PhatJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.