2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Noise

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 07-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #1
eric_dodson
2013 JK Wrangler 

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Noise

I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 6 speed manual transmission. The vehicle had 14 miles on it when I took possession from the dealership approximately 1 month ago.

For the most part Iím very pleased with the vehicle with the exception of an intermittent noise it makes.

After shifting gears when accelerating @ an R.P.M. of 1,800-3,000 I can hear some kind of vibration or knocking sound that appears to be coming from just underneath the gear shifter. The noise isnít always there and when it is there the decibel level varies. At its worse though itís annoying and embarrassing. Itís almost like under the right conditions the vehicle hits some type of resonance frequency. After I get into higher R.P.M.ís I canít say the noise is evident any longer.

I have had the Jeep back to the dealership but could not duplicate the noise enough for the technician to give me his opinion. The problem I was describing seemed somewhat foreign to them as well. I know itís not just me as my wife can hear it as well. The first time either of us heard it we were together and we both looked at each other at the same time with a puzzled look.

If anyone has any experience with this Iíd sure like a point in the right direction.

eric_dodson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

My transfer case shifter vibrates and rattles in the same speed range

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
RogueStatus
2013 JK Wrangler 

ive been having the same type of issue, except i have an auto trans. I've been back to the dealership with it and took a tech along for a ride and it wouldn't make the noise (go figure) but as soon as I left it did...

i've kinda gotten to the point where I just ignore it. If it gets too bad and makes it ALL the time I will take it back, but for now i just look at it as another part of owning a wrangler.
Unread 07-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
DuckRunner09
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm pretty sure I know what sound you're talking about. Mine does it every once in a while and was concerned at first but realized it was my transfer shifter as well... Just turn up the radio and enjoy the ride
Unread 07-18-2013, 12:21 AM   #5
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_dodson View Post
If anyone has any experience with this Iíd sure like a point in the right direction.
Yes, I just left the world of Mustangs and your exhaust system can actually vibrate/resonate at certain frequencies.

I've only had my KJ one day and haven't really inspected underneath it yet..... but Mustangs actually have a pair of (3 lb) weights attached to each side of the exhaust. They are welded on and about the size of one's fist.

The sole function of these weights is to eliminate the resonant vibration that causes weird noises.

In the pic below, they look orange-ish.....

Katmandu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #6
varnerme
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Having the exact same issue. It's been difficult to diagnose for me and my dealer, but we are trying. It only seems to happen after it is warm. First drive in the morning is usually fine, lunch and drive home I usually hear it.
Unread 10-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
eric_dodson
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have had a few posts over the past few months related to a noise I was hearing in my 2013 Jeep Rubicon. The posts I started were entitled…

• “2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Noise”
• “2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Noise rev2”
• “2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Transmission (A Plea for Help!!!!!)”

There was definitely a noise for sure but it was NOT the transmission!!!
If your Jeep is making this noise then I know the problem for sure…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIqn...e_gdata_player
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSm9...e_gdata_player

I did not figure it out. It was only through the forums that someone (user “kta2402”) had the right answer.
There is a cable that connects the transfer case shifter knob to the transfer case. The cable is very similar to a bicycle cable. There is a hard outer sheath with an inner cable that actually moves (extends or retracts) relative to the outer sheath.
This hard outer sheath has upward pressure on the underside of the center console. Under certain conditions this cable “rattles” like craze. See image below (I stole this image from user “kta2402”…)

While you are I there check the wiring harness as well. I recommend wrapping both with something soft. Once you do there is no more noise.
Unread 10-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #8
eric_dodson
2013 JK Wrangler 

rubicon_transfercasecable.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.