2013 Front Axle Shaft Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2013 Front Axle Shaft Replacement

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 06-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

2013 Front Axle Shaft Replacement

So I recently just saw this post on Facebook by Evo. Apparently on the 2013s you can't change a front shaft without replacing the inner seal

4wdjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
AveCat
2012 JK Wrangler 

IDK a lot about axles, but shouldn't you replace them anyway? Sorry if I'm confused here.
Unread 06-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

What are the particulars? Does the seal fail when the axle shaft is pulled out?
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I guess. I have no way of knowing. Bummer though because Im planning on getting a 13
Unread 06-26-2013, 10:51 PM   #5
aznjeep

2014 WK 

I just picked up a '13 (JKUR 10A)... I'm trying to think this through... On my 2010, it was a pretty straight forward install, and all parts came with the purchase from Tom Woods. I do remember having to remove the OEM flange (from both the diff and t-case output) and using the one supplied by Tom Woods. In Evo's install, did it require replacing the OEM flange? Was it that the new flange didn't fit through the existing seal (*edit*.. duh.. it HAS to fit.. if it didn't, it wouldn't fit into the carrier.. never mind on this question**) and now needs to find the right size seal? Or did the seal come off when removing the flange? If it came off, was it because it was "seated" in the flange itself? Or was the pinion seal not installed correctly from the factory and it just fell off?

Sorry for the barrage of questions.. I'm in the process of doing research for the build and budget timeline for the new Jeep.. Thanks!!

*edit, again* - It must be past my bed time.. those seals are from the axle shaft.. geez.. for whatever reason, I jumped right to the drive shaft.. never mind on the drive shaft.. but that SUCKS about the axle shafts..
'99 TJ "L'il Pepper" (sold)
aznjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 01:24 AM   #6
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

I can't see it working that way anyhow, I'm interested in searching the EVO site.
Unread 06-27-2013, 02:51 AM   #7
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznjeep View Post
I just picked up a '13 (JKUR 10A)... I'm trying to think this through... On my 2010, it was a pretty straight forward install, and all parts came with the purchase from Tom Woods. I do remember having to remove the OEM flange (from both the diff and t-case output) and using the one supplied by Tom Woods. In Evo's install, did it require replacing the OEM flange? Was it that the new flange didn't fit through the existing seal (*edit*.. duh.. it HAS to fit.. if it didn't, it wouldn't fit into the carrier.. never mind on this question**) and now needs to find the right size seal? Or did the seal come off when removing the flange? If it came off, was it because it was "seated" in the flange itself? Or was the pinion seal not installed correctly from the factory and it just fell off?

Sorry for the barrage of questions.. I'm in the process of doing research for the build and budget timeline for the new Jeep.. Thanks!!

*edit, again* - It must be past my bed time.. those seals are from the axle shaft.. geez.. for whatever reason, I jumped right to the drive shaft.. never mind on the drive shaft.. but that SUCKS about the axle shafts..
Are you ok; perhaps I should call someone for you?
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm surprised no one has chimed in saying they've changed a shaft on a 13
Unread 06-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
aznjeep

2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Are you ok; perhaps I should call someone for you?
It was a REALLY long day at work.. apparently my mind hadn't shifted over completely to 'Jeep talk'... but still would be interested in finding out more about this.. it would really suck if I had to pull an axle shaft out while on the trail to fix something, and those seals came off..
'99 TJ "L'il Pepper" (sold)
aznjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #10
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

It's going to really suck if I have to pull the differential when I install Nitro shafts.
Unread 06-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #11
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

I couldn't find anything about 13' axle shafts except for the fact that the u-joints are beefier. No mention of having to change out seals with the shafts.
Unread 06-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #12
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznjeep View Post
...it would really suck if I had to pull an axle shaft out while on the trail to fix something, and those seals came off..
That it would; Iím having a hard time believing this.
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #13
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

There you go. Hopefully I'm just retarded and am misinterpreting it.
Unread 10-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #14
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Just ordered some chromoly shafts for my 2013. Has anybody done this yet? are seals a problem?

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #15
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

When I was talking to AEV a couple weeks ago, the rep was saying they haven't been experiencing any issues with changing the front shafts on the 2013's. You just need to take it easy when installing the new shafts. The seals will tear super easy. At least thats from what I'm hearing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.