2013 Check Engine light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2013 Check Engine light

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 06-01-2013, 06:45 AM   #1
blackbonnie
2001 TJ Wrangler 

2013 Check Engine light

My check engine light came on at around 2100 miles the other day. I have a 13 JKUR. I had a 12 JKUR last year and the same thing happened - needed the head replaced. I have tried the gas cap and tried the on-off, on-off thing to get the code....not happening. My guess is that the head problem Chrysler says they have fixed is still out there. Anyone have this yet?

blackbonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Is the light on steady or flashing?
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
2Five22
2013 JK Wrangler 

Symptoms?

I am just the chauffeur.
2Five22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
NCSahara
2006 KJ Liberty 

Don't guess go to Advance or Auto Zone and get it scanned or just get it to the dealer on Monday.
NCSahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSahara View Post
Don't guess go to Advance or Auto Zone and get it scanned or just get it to the dealer on Monday.
Yeah this.

Your diagnostic process went from gas cap to bad cylinder head with no actual procedure to figure it out.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

with one post we may never know.

If it mills out to P302. p306 then it may well be the same issue and is not a good sign.
Unread 06-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
blackbonnie
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, sorry for no immediate follow up....I don't live at my computer screen. ZERO symptoms and now the light has gone off. This is exactly what happened with my '12 which was a bad head. I was simply looking to see if anyone knows if the '13's have this head issue also even though Chrysler says it was less than 1% and they have fixed it. I am guessing no one else has had this problem so I will be taking it to the dealer for correction. Haven't had the chance with life and kids. I will post the answer once I have it.
blackbonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #8
BK0311
2013 JK Wrangler 

My 13' check engine light came on around 5000. The oil pressure sensor gauge had gone bad.
Unread 06-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbonnie View Post
Ok, sorry for no immediate follow up....I don't live at my computer screen. ZERO symptoms and now the light has gone off. This is exactly what happened with my '12 which was a bad head. I was simply looking to see if anyone knows if the '13's have this head issue also even though Chrysler says it was less than 1% and they have fixed it. I am guessing no one else has had this problem so I will be taking it to the dealer for correction. Haven't had the chance with life and kids. I will post the answer once I have it.
need to read the code, You can not guess.
Unread 06-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

The CEL can be a bazillion different things. Don't assume, check the codes.

Wouldn't a gas cap issue present GASCAP on the dash instead of a CEL or did they change that?
Unread 06-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank View Post
The CEL can be a bazillion different things. Don't assume, check the codes.

Wouldn't a gas cap issue present GASCAP on the dash instead of a CEL or did they change that?
from the 2013 JK owner manual:
If the vehicle diagnostic system determines that the fuel filler cap is loose, improperly installed, or damaged, a “gASCAP” message will display in the odometer display area. Tighten the fuel filler cap properly and press the TRIP ODOMETER button to turn off the message. If the problem continues, the message will appear the next time the vehicle is started.

from the 2013 JK service manual:
Diagnostic Trouble Code

P0457-LOOSE FUEL CAP

Theory of Operation
Fuel level is recorded when the ignition key is turned off and is compared to the fuel level when the ignition key is turned back on. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) recognizes an increase in fuel level and will fail the Large leak test because the fuel cap is broken or not installed properly. GAS CAP will be displayed to inform the owner that the cap is off or loose.

When Monitored:
Engine running. Ambient Temperature between 4° C and 35° C (40° F and 95° F) Close Loop fuel system. Test runs after failing the large leak size test as inconclusive and the PCM has sensed a fuel increase.

Set Condition:
If a leak greater than .090” is detected by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) for three consecutive cold start trips after a significant fuel level change, this DTC will set. One good trip turns off the MIL.

Possible Causes
LOOSE OR MISSING FUEL CAP
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #12
Wrigley
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
from the 2013 JK owner manual:
If the vehicle diagnostic system determines that the fuel filler cap is loose, improperly installed, or damaged, a “gASCAP” message will display in the odometer display area. Tighten the fuel filler cap properly and press the TRIP ODOMETER button to turn off the message. If the problem continues, the message will appear the next time the vehicle is started.

from the 2013 JK service manual:
Diagnostic Trouble Code

P0457-LOOSE FUEL CAP

Theory of Operation
Fuel level is recorded when the ignition key is turned off and is compared to the fuel level when the ignition key is turned back on. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) recognizes an increase in fuel level and will fail the Large leak test because the fuel cap is broken or not installed properly. GAS CAP will be displayed to inform the owner that the cap is off or loose.

When Monitored:
Engine running. Ambient Temperature between 4° C and 35° C (40° F and 95° F) Close Loop fuel system. Test runs after failing the large leak size test as inconclusive and the PCM has sensed a fuel increase.

Set Condition:
If a leak greater than .090” is detected by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) for three consecutive cold start trips after a significant fuel level change, this DTC will set. One good trip turns off the MIL.

Possible Causes
LOOSE OR MISSING FUEL CAP
I got the "GASCAP" display on my 2013 JK. I took the gascap off, put it back on tightly, and the "GASCAP" display on the odometer display went away on its own within 10 miles.

Mike
Wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 11:29 AM   #13
labelle15
2013 JK Wrangler 

I'm having the same problem. I haven't taken it to the dealership yet though because the check engine light came on a couple of days ago. I tried the on off trick and nothing happened. The light is steady, no blinking. No symptoms. Any advice?
labelle15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 11:45 AM   #14
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by labelle15
I'm having the same problem. I haven't taken it to the dealership yet though because the check engine light came on a couple of days ago. I tried the on off trick and nothing happened. The light is steady, no blinking. No symptoms. Any advice?
When you say nothing happened, you mean it didn't run the diagnostic at all or just didn't show a code?

Most chain auto parts stores read codes for free. And not every code shows up through the inboard diagnostic anyway.
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 11:55 AM   #15
STORM_JK
2013 JK Wrangler 

Only way to know is to have it checked, they can see history codes as well if it turned off

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.