Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2013 JK 6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION "RATTLING" NOISE POLL

2013 6-speed manual transmission rattle poll

18K views 39 replies 31 participants last post by  jeepsgotnutz 
#1 ·
I have a 2013 JKUR on order, and noticed many guys on various JK forums have been complaining of "rattling" issues with their 6-Speed Manual Transmissions.

I would like to ask all new 2013 JK owners with Manual Transmissions to "chime-in" on this Poll, and elaborate (mileage issue(s) were noticed, etc) with posts as you see fit.

Thanks in advance.

#31 ·
Cosmobull said:
Mine rattled in thrid gear too on acceleration, I wedged my hand between the plastic radio console and the plastic shifter surround (where the mesh holder thing is) and no more rattling.
Exactly where my grinding slash rattling comes from on my 2013 JKUR with 1100 miles. It can change with temp a little. Also my transfer case shift lever linkage caused a little rattle under certain loads.

#32 ·
My 2012 sport rattles a bit, but it is a truck transmission. There are other rattles in it also, but I did buy a Jeep. People also ask about the stripes in the paint. Again I bought a Jeep, and it goes off-road.
It is quieter, and straighter than my 98 Cherokee. I don't think it is as good a vehicle as the Cherokee. It has way to much electronic, and safety BS on it for me. I think Cheri will be going long after this one has given up. Looking now to find an older YJ to fix up. Something I can put a Mopar crate motor in drive till the end of me.

#33 ·
I read somewhere its the springs in the clutch that makes the rattle. Thats why you don't hear it when you push the pedal in. Not sure this makes sence though. I would think the springs hold the plate to the flywheel. Maybe there are springs in there only used when pressing down the pedal or some shorter than others?

#35 ·
tulsarob said:
I read somewhere its the springs in the clutch that makes the rattle. Thats why you don't hear it when you push the pedal in. Not sure this makes sence though. I would think the springs hold the plate to the flywheel. Maybe there are springs in there only used when pressing down the pedal or some shorter than others?
There are springs that buffer the friction plate and the threads to reduce jerkiness. That may be what they are talking about.

Attachments

#36 ·
I have a 2007 with 69000 miles and have owned nothing but stick shifts since I started driving in 1971. My transmission doesn't seem to rattle but has a high pitch ringing type noise only when in gears 2, 4, and 6th. The noise is there even when the clutch pedal is depressed and only stops when stopped rolling.
Any ideas?

#37 ·
I have a 2014 with 15000 miles on it. It had 3 miles on it when I got it. It did it from the second week on. I took it in, they did nothing. Took it in again and they told me its defiantly from the transmission. Wow, I needed a mechanic to tell me that! Also have the very loud clacking noise when going on and off gas under load. It is so loud i can hear it in videos of me off-roading where the camera is 50-75 feet away. This is mostly in first and second. It happens on and off gas and when I push in the clutch. You can actually feel it in the floor of the jeep.
I have owned a 74 CJ5 304 3-speed, 89 YJ 4.2 5-speed, 94 YJ 4BT AX15 5-speed, 98 TJ 4.0 5-speed, and now my 14 JKU 6-speed. I Never heard anything like this. It is a problem that needs fixed!

#38 ·
2012 with 25k on it. It's at the dealer for the third time to pull the transmission.
When it's good and hot from driving a while, it started knocking a lot in neutral. You'd notice it a lot in drive-thrus or the garage when there was something to hear it echo off of. Would stop when the clutch was pressed in. Dealer replaced flywheel, throw-out, and I believe an input shaft bearing. Got the Jeep back and it was doing it still. Different tech listened to it, knew right off what parts to order. Pulled it again. Shifter/Shift forks have a little plastic rubber square piece that was broken up and metal was hitting metal making the rattle. They replaced the parts, cleaned it out and sent it home. Since then 1st is very difficult to shift into when cold, no real detent coming out of 3rd, can almost fall into 4th on its own, it catches and grinds every time I shift up into 3rd, aaaaaaand the knocking is back again.
It's been at the dealer for close to a month this time. They're still waiting for approval from Jeep for a new transmission.

Since the end of summer, it's spent close to 3 months or better sitting at the dealer. Part of that was throwing parts at an engine tick before finally replacing a faulty driver side cylinder head and a lot of top leak, but mostly for a picky 6 spd. By the time my warranty expires, I'll have a completely rebuilt Jeep. Regardless, I think I'm going back to TJs.

#39 ·
2012 with 25k on it. It's at the dealer for the third time to pull the transmission.
When it's good and hot from driving a while, it started knocking a lot in neutral. You'd notice it a lot in drive-thrus or the garage when there was something to hear it echo off of. Would stop when the clutch was pressed in. Dealer replaced flywheel, throw-out, and I believe an input shaft bearing. Got the Jeep back and it was doing it still. Different tech listened to it, knew right off what parts to order. Pulled it again. Shifter/Shift forks have a little plastic rubber square piece that was broken up and metal was hitting metal making the rattle. They replaced the parts, cleaned it out and sent it home. Since then 1st is very difficult to shift into when cold, no real detent coming out of 3rd, can almost fall into 4th on its own, it catches and grinds every time I shift up into 3rd, aaaaaaand the knocking is back again.
It's been at the dealer for close to a month this time. They're still waiting for approval from Jeep for a new transmission.

Since the end of summer, it's spent close to 3 months or better sitting at the dealer. Part of that was throwing parts at an engine tick before finally replacing a faulty driver side cylinder head and a lot of top leak, but mostly for a picky 6 spd. By the time my warranty expires, I'll have a completely rebuilt Jeep. Regardless, I think I'm going back to TJs.
Hey jeepsgotnutz,

I am sorry to hear about the continued concerns with your Wrangler. I would like to look further into this for you. Can you private message me your VIN, up to date contact info, and servicing FCA dealership?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.