Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2013 JK 6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION "RATTLING" NOISE POLL

2013 6-speed manual transmission rattle poll

18K views 39 replies 31 participants last post by  jeepsgotnutz 
#1 ·
I have a 2013 JKUR on order, and noticed many guys on various JK forums have been complaining of "rattling" issues with their 6-Speed Manual Transmissions.

I would like to ask all new 2013 JK owners with Manual Transmissions to "chime-in" on this Poll, and elaborate (mileage issue(s) were noticed, etc) with posts as you see fit.

Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
Youre talking out your ***

Rattleing is one thing, what everyone is complaining about is a clunk/clack when accelerating between 1500 rpm and 2k rpm.

there have been suggested causes: throw out bearing, a pin that hold the clutch fork, the clutch fork itself.

OP, if its making noise, take it in. they will say they cannot duplicate, always do, but at least its on record

#5 ·
what you're talking about is isolated. every time i see someone complain about their transmission rattling its while its in neutral idling. they follow up that comment with how they just spent 30,000 on their Jeep and they feel it should be perfect despite that they've never own a Jeep before and have no concept of the component difference between car and truck.

if thats my ***, then i apologize.

#7 ·
Personally I think it's all relative to what you've driven before.
The standard is a little clunky, that's just the way it is. Doesn't mean it's going to explode any time soon.

Just turn up the radio...

#8 ·
What we need is a new poll that says "have you owned a manual transmission before?" and only allow the people complaining about it to vote.

I've owned manual transmission 4x4s and sports cars from 1988-2012 and every single one of them has rattled, clunked, and vibrated. It's the nature of the beast when you've got a direct linkage between the flywheel and tires. You're going to get these "symptoms". It's 100% normal. That's why when you let a mechanic look at it, he'll be like...Ok, what's the problem again?

#12 ·
I have a 2012 Rubicon (6,500 miles) with the 6 speed and I have started to notice a rattle in 4th gear around 2,000 rpm under moderate load. Full throttle and the noise goes away.

The NV3550 in my '04 Rubicon made noise in neutral, this is different.

#16 ·
Well I for one am surprised. We can soundly and scientifically deduce now that 20% of all Manual Jeep Wranglers have problems based on the survey which at this point reflects said scientifically sound data point.

Whoodathunk?

And my wife says the interwebs are useless... Hah!.

#19 ·
100,500 miles. Rattle in third gear only.

#20 ·
I had:

2006 TJ with 6 spd--Very quiet never had a problem out of it. Only had it for 27k miles.

2008 JK with 6 spd--Very quiet, tight on cold mornings. Didn't seem to break in until about 40k miles. Totaled by drunk driver at 80k miles!

2013 JK with 6 spd--Seems loose. Never tight or stiff on cold mornings. Shifts very easy. A little noisy in neutral. Only have 5k miles on it.

I wonder if the '13s could have been built "looser" than the '08s? Or maybe there is just less sound dampening material around the trans. tunnel.

#23 ·
I have an '11 JKU 6spd. Does the same thing in 4th or 5th...usually it's because it should've been say in 3rd instead of 4th, 4th instead of 5th and so on. I've had a 99tj 5spd and a '02tj 5 spd...they both did the same thing. I could be way off but maybe you're shifting too early and putting stress on it.

Sent from my iPhone using my thumbs

#24 ·
I have no rattles in my transmission. Only noises i notice are when i am shifting from 1st to 2nd. I am pretty sure these noises are normal since you are shifting from a 4.1 reduction gear to a 2.06. I might be off on these values but I know they are close and either way I am not going to worry about it.

#25 ·
My 13 has about 2700 miles on it. Last night I noticed a small ticking or rattling when sitting in neutral. If you press the clutch it goes away. No noise while in gear that I can hear.

#27 ·
That's what mine had, and it is starting to come back. My transmission was completely rebuilt within 2k miles, was good for another 3 and I just heard it again for the first time a few nights ago.

I've read it could be a input shaft or a throw out bearing, both were replaced on mine, and the sound came back. It doesn't affect the transmission that I can tell, it still runs and shifts smooth, but I'm going to take it back in a few weeks to get a new transmission put in it.

#28 ·
I believe it is the throw-out bearing. Just gonna leave it alone unless it gets much worse. Turning up the radio or removing the soft top seems to fix it.

#29 ·
My Jeep made a loud knocking sound about 2,500 miles in and it was the throw-out bearing. I had it replaced under warranty and I haven't had a problem since. The shifter rattling is a common thing, but eventually it'll get to the point where the constant vibration will weaken the plastic cap piece of the shifter knob and the noise that thing will make will drive you ****ing insane. Luckily, there are a variety of aftermarket shifter knobs to solve that issue.

they follow up that comment with how they just spent 30,000 on their Jeep and they feel it should be perfect despite that they've never own a Jeep before and have no concept of the component difference between car and truck.
Yes, it's a Jeep and not a luxury SUV, but I don't think it's unreasonable to want your brand new $30,000 vehicle be perfect. It still irritates me that Chrysler thinks it's cool to continue putting ****ty ball joints, ****ty trackbar mounts, and ****ty radios in the Wrangler.

#34 ·
Hoo Hoo, It started doing on the way home today so I took a members suggestion to push the Xfer case lever forward and the rattle stopped. Everytime I ran the rpm up and it rattled, I would push the lever forward and it stopped. So happy now. No I'm not taking it in, but will see if I can find out exactly what's loose or misadjusted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.