2013/2014 ordering - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2013/2014 ordering

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery Mounts

Unread 07-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #91
Brando0275
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuskid

Why does Jeep make their stock wheels so 'deep'? Is there some advantage to having 6+ inches of BS?

Thanks,

John
Its simply upkeep the tires under the flares. Otherwise it would break codes in some areas etc...

Brando0275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #92
Brando0275
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipshot33
I also got my 2nd e-mail from jeep... says it is scheduled for production in the next 2 weeks and gave the last 8 digits of the VIN .... went with the dune rubi 4dr... I also miss sahara tan it was a great color... here is my situation.. trying to preorder my lift and bumpers and my local custom shop says the distributer ( smittybuilt and rubicon express) discouraged the purchase because they had not seen specs on the 14's.... it is my understanding that the 14's are JK with no structural changes from 13... how can I confirm this ??? I would like to have my parts in hand at delivery..
There aren't supposed to be major changes on anything that would account for much but if they re-routed exhaust or deleted the loop, etc. it could cause some problems with aftermarket parts. I assume that's why.
Unread 07-04-2013, 08:03 AM   #93
Brando0275
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando0275

Its simply upkeep the tires under the flares. Otherwise it would break codes in some areas etc...
It's simply to keep... Not upkeep. Autocorrect got me.
Unread 07-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #94
hibernate
2014 JK Wrangler 

To those that ordered a 2014: Did the dealer make you pay a deposit up front or do they hold a check in escrow? What arrangements are made for payment?
I'm planning on ordering a 2014 Rubicon JKU in the next week or two once I finalize the options I want.
hibernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #95
Brando0275
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibernate
To those that ordered a 2014: Did the dealer make you pay a deposit up front or do they hold a check in escrow? What arrangements are made for payment?
I'm planning on ordering a 2014 Rubicon JKU in the next week or two once I finalize the options I want.
You have to pay a deposit. They've tried to get 500 but its negotiable.
Unread 07-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #96
sparsons79
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I made a $1,000 deposit but could back out and get my money back if wanted.

Quote:
Sold...92 YJ...3" skyjacker lift, 33 BFG and chromed out hinges :puzzled:
Sold...94 ZJ Limited...Kolak exhaust, Mopar ECU, BFG AT
sparsons79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #97
MPitchford72
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I didn't have to leave a deposit.
I just missed the 2013 built window and had to wait for a 2014. Probably for the best and hope to get it in a few weeks.

I ordered a black Sahara.
MPitchford72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #98
hipshot33

I didn't have to leave a deposit.... but I have known the GSM for about 15 yrs..
hipshot33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #99
mdepot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuskid View Post
I still wonder, why the BS is > 6 inches?
if something less is better?
Less is not really better. Ideally the center of the tire (as in looking from the front of the Jeep) should be directly over the center of the wheel bearings in the ends of the axle. Beyond the axle bearings you still have the thickness of the axle seal, an air gap, the axle flange, and the disc brake. All that (by necessity) ends up pushing the wheel mounting surface further outboard away from the bearings. But the backspacing of the rim accounts for that thickness and gets the center of the tire back in line directly centered over the wheel bearings again. The stock amount of backspacing on factory rims should be just the right amount to compensate for this.

This is what wheel backspacing is all about. If it were just about fitting the tires in the wheelwells, they would just shorten or lengthen the whole axle.

So while it's common for people to swap over to rims with less backspacing in order to fit wider tires without rubbing the wheelwells, doing so also ends up putting more stress and wear on the wheel bearings due to the tire no longer being directly centered over the bearings.
mdepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #100
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdepot View Post
Less is not really better. Ideally the center of the tire (as in looking from the front of the Jeep) should be directly over the center of the wheel bearings in the ends of the axle. Beyond the axle bearings you still have the thickness of the axle seal, an air gap, the axle flange, and the disc brake. All that (by necessity) ends up pushing the wheel mounting surface further outboard away from the bearings. But the backspacing of the rim accounts for that thickness and gets the center of the tire back in line directly centered over the wheel bearings again. The stock amount of backspacing on factory rims should be just the right amount to compensate for this.

This is what wheel backspacing is all about. If it were just about fitting the tires in the wheelwells, they would just shorten or lengthen the whole axle.

So while it's common for people to swap over to rims with less backspacing in order to fit wider tires without rubbing the wheelwells, doing so also ends up putting more stress and wear on the wheel bearings due to the tire no longer being directly centered over the bearings.
Thank you so much!

What an excellent answer.

John
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #101
JeepMonkey
1986 CJ7 

Can anyone here confirm that the 2014 JKUR manual tranny will be available with 4.10 gearing. I talked with a jeep salesman today and he said the manual was ONLY available in 3.73. Please tell me he is wrong!!!
JeepMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #102
JeepMonkey
1986 CJ7 

Can anyone confirm that the 2014 JKUR with a manual transmission will be available with the 4.10 gear ratio?

Spoke with a dealer rep today and he said it would only be available with the 3.73's. I am hoping he is wrong.
JeepMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #103
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

I can't confirm but that would make no sense. For my 2013 ( and all other years I believe) a Manual Rubi was 4.10s as the only option!
AlbertaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #104
giundy
1979 CJ7 

According to Wrangler forum information thread 4.10 is standard on the manual and optional on the auto.
giundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #105
hipshot33

I ordered my 14 a few weeks back... I seem to remember that I had the option of 4:10 with my choice of the auto .. I bet its still standard on the 5spd..
hipshot33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.