2012 Wrangler Dash Removal/Lockpick Install - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2012 Wrangler Dash Removal/Lockpick Install

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 03-22-2012, 01:24 AM   #16
cforshey
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm swapping out the dash speakers in my 2012. Got the dash removal down to a science but I'm having trouble with getting to the speakers so I can swap em. Any possibilty we might be able to get a pictorial of this process? You can imagine my hesitation to snapping tabs on a brand new vehicle

cforshey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 06:00 AM   #17
budmanm3
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cforshey View Post
I'm swapping out the dash speakers in my 2012. Got the dash removal down to a science but I'm having trouble with getting to the speakers so I can swap em. Any possibilty we might be able to get a pictorial of this process? You can imagine my hesitation to snapping tabs on a brand new vehicle
I did the speaker install also, didnt take any pics of that as i had planned to as it was getting dark that day.. if you basically follow the install directions they send it isnt too difficult. The dash part surrounding the speaker area doesnt get removed it just pulls out just enough to stick your hand in there with a small socket wrench to remove and install the speakers. Tedious to do, but not impossible.
Unread 04-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #18
gaidin43
2012 WK 

I just installed one of these in a 2012 WK2 and it seems like the overall video quality has degraded. Have you noticed this at all? Or of any possible ways to fix it?
gaidin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #19
YJs4Life
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I replaced mine on my YJ, oh was that the PITA of the week!
I couldn't get my dash out due to rust, so I had to go through the open bottom. I cut my hand in 10 different places, and said every offensive word I know at the flippin thing.

In the end though, it was all worth it. I replaced them with Kickers. When you only have built in space for two 5.25" speakers (actually, I think it's only meant for 5" speakers but the 5.25" one fit. Tightly), I figured I would have to make those speakers really SPEAK!

Good luck, hope your install goes smoother than mine!
Unread 04-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #20
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

superb write up/pics

thanks
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #21
rolandthegypsy
2008 JK Wrangler 

I would like to thank Charles for the video, of the dismantling of the dash. Some months ago a pen dropped in the void between the window and the dash, and the idea of having a pen in there is bothering me. NOW I feel I can tackle this problem and pull the dash to remove the pen.
rolandthegypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 02:34 AM   #22
CCUCHRIS

I had planned to upgrade to the RHR before I even bought my JK. But I was suprised to see the mixc not on the mirror I have since located it but since I m going from the 130 to the 730 I will be disconnecting the ucoonect module already there and have to either retrofit the current mic which people say they can hear me on or add another mic but what I dont see why I can not do but cant seem to find an instance of anyone doing is adding the telematics microphone mirror. It is fairly simple from a wiring perspective a harness from the unit to the mirror by passing the old uconnect module all together. I mean I know the mic is in the top of the mirror but that part is shielded by the top of the windshield and i dont see how it could be more windy then where the current one is at the top of the pillar. Also I would be gaining an autodim mirror jsut for doing the mod. ve done this on a couple Challengers and a Jeep Patriot but heisitant in the JK ... not as sure in myself maybe because its so different??

Anyone else know of anyone adding the uconnect mirror?

But I remember why I posted this here anyone know how hard it is to get that corner pillar and the across the top piece? The wiring harness will fit in there I know.
CCUCHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #23
schuflea

What does the lock pic allow you to do? I would like to just watch movies and type in addresses on the go? Is there a cheap DIY todo this?
schuflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 06:34 AM   #24
budmanm3
2012 JK Wrangler 

That is what the lockpick is supposed to allow you to do. I have mine set up with a reverse camera also, and have the capability to add more if I wanted (front, side, etc)
Unread 11-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #25
drewgolden
2013 JK Wrangler 

Hi Guys:

Wanted to thank the original poster, and to Keith for setting up this very useful forum.

I purchased a 2013 Unlimited Sahara with body matching hardtop when my 2002 Nissan Pathfinder needed more repairs than I was willing to make (although she served me many useful miles with hardly any expense.) On a whim I dropped by the Jeep dealer to see what was up with the 4-door Wranglers and needless to say it was love at first sight.

While I have many plans for upgrades, the first one was for safety and that was I wanted to add a Backup and Forward (slow creep) cams to keep my vision optimal when navigating the driveway / garage and any off road trouble I may find myself it. I purchased the MyGIG Lockpick online from a re-seller who offered it for half the price as the maker (what a sweet deal) and then went to CarToys to get an estimate to complete the installs.

After fainting from the $600 quote, I searched the inter webs and found this article - how very helpful! All the tools needed, step by step directions. Very nice.

So I took the first weekend (about three hours) to install the front and rear cameras, and run the cables up to the dash. While I was under the covers, I also installed a "Power Acoustik DTV-Mhu Universal Mobile Atsc-Mh Digital TV Receiver Module" in there as well, ran and cleaned up everything and waited for the following weekend.

This weekend I completed the install. Let me just say that this site inspired me to do the work myself - and saved me a fortune. Installing the MyGIG Lockpick was a simple. After I ran some tests, I buttoned up the dash and now have auto-reverse cam. And the front cam comes on when the speed slows below 7mph (which will be VERY useful off road - I can see near-ground level while I creep around.)

And when I am going to different locations or waiting for meetings, I can enjoy television in the Jeep. Nicely, the Atsc-Mh digital standard is optimized for mobile transmission, meaning you can install back seat screens and allow the kiddos to watch live TV (or patch DVD video from the DVD player, your iPod/iPhone or whatever - to the front and or backseats.) This will make long trips a breeze.

I'm going to wait to get past the expense of Christmas and then next on my list will be adding a winch plate and a Winch to the factory bumper.

Thanks to everyone on this forum; it's already been a very productive and helpful site and I hope I can contribute as my projects progress.

Thanks,
drew

ps. I uploaded what the front cam looks like when driving here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms43i...ature=youtu.be
tv-jeep.jpg  

Last edited by drewgolden; 11-04-2013 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: Added photos / video.
drewgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 01:02 PM   #26
KaptenMikki
2012 JK Wrangler 

Everything worked great. No problemo... Thanks for a very good walk trough...
KaptenMikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 04:11 PM   #27
EWhite37
2012 JK Wrangler 

Just stumbling across this thread while searching for the best way to add a backup camera to my '12 Unlimited Sahara 6-spd. I've gone from thinking I'll add a seperate Bluetooth system to the rear bumper to thinking I'll get a Lockpick and add cameras to front and rear... and maybe the mobile digital TV receiver, too. First, great pics... a HUGE help to all and to my thinking I can tackle this project.

A couple of questions however: First, I've read about some issues (poor sound, video degradation, GPS issues...). Have any of you worked those out? Anyone regret the choice and pull the Lockpick out? Or is everyone living with the issue?

Many thanks for the input!
EWhite37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #28
drewgolden
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWhite37 View Post
A couple of questions however: First, I've read about some issues (poor sound, video degradation, GPS issues...). Have any of you worked those out? Anyone regret the choice and pull the Lockpick out? Or is everyone living with the issue?

Many thanks for the input!
No issues so far (once in a great while the GPS loses it for a few moments) but I chock that up to the antenna placement.

No issues with poor sound or video issues. Both of which I would chock up to cabling / harness not plugged in all the way - etc.

The surgery is a bit tight especially when you add a TV Tuner, and all of the cables and harnesses - it's quite a bit of kit to get back there - but once it's all in and good - it's a great combination!

Heads up however on the six speed - I think the lockpick I am using only works on the automatic jeeps - not manual transmissions - so you may want to investigate that out and see. The folks who made my lockpick were very supportive and answered all of my questions beforehand - so reach out with the specs of your Jeep (details on which radio, etc) and they can help you pick the right harness.

(I think with the auto-tranny you get the auto-on for reverse and forward - if you are manual then you may have to activate the fwd or rev cam yourself.)

drew
drewgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2014, 08:49 AM   #29
budmanm3
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have the 6 Speed and everything works fine for me so far. When I put the Jeep into reverse the rear camera comes on automatically. I don't have a front cam so cant tell ya if that function works, but the Navigation works fine, I am able to use this function while driving.. DVD in motion is functioning, although I haven't found a need for this yet.
Unread 05-04-2014, 08:30 AM   #30
MAC883
2013 JK Wrangler 

I just purchased my first Jeep and loving it so far. The only problem I have to date is with the Lockpick that came with the vehicle which led me to this post. Long story but the previous owner strangely enough had both the Lockpick and the Allgig devices and I don't know why. I have tried both devices to date, however unable to get either to display the camera video, only shows a blank screen when reverse is selected. I have purchased and tried a brand new camera which also did not display. I have reverted to the Lockpick for now.

I have noticed that the Lockpick menu (shown in the photo that shows all the cameras) does not appear for me. So far I have updated the Lockpick (v5) to latest firmware along with the 730N but still no luck.

I also noticed that I am unable to turn on the VES functionality with the 730N either. There is a touchscreen button to enable but it doesn't do anything when pressed or held apart from light up while pressed. Any ideas??? I have emailed Coastaletech with photos and am waiting on a response.
MAC883 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mirror , mygig , uconnect , upgrade , wiring harness

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.