2012 Wrangler Dash Removal/Lockpick Install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2012 Wrangler Dash Removal/Lockpick Install

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
budmanm3
2012 JK Wrangler 

2012 Wrangler Dash Removal/Lockpick Install

Just wanted to make an addition to this guys post on how to remove the dash by adding some photos for anyone that may find it helpful. I installed the CHR550 Lockpick device today.

I found these instructions helpful for 2011 and there wasn't anything different for the 2012.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/2...amera-1120789/

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstuff View Post
Just to help clarify the radio removal steps, which were a little sketchy in the prior posts: 1.Pull out the rubber tray from the top of the dash, you may need to give it a little tug. Remove the 7mm screw you find there. 2. Carefully pry away the plastic panel which is just below the steering wheel, prying the upper sides away first and easing your way down both sides. Use a very thin screwdriver and pad the surrounding trim so as not to leave marks. The bottom of the panel has plastic half-hinges that engage corresponding slots in the panel below the panel you're removing. When this panel is removed, you'll see two 7mm screws, one on the left of the steering column and one on the right. You'll note that these screws secure two tabs on the bottom of the instrument panel bezel, remove both screws. 3. You're actually going to be removing about half of the instrument panel bezel, which spans the area from the driver's door to just to the right of the radio. Don't worry, it's not as major a project as it seems. 4. Where the power window switches sit, they're surrounded by a small bezel. Prying carefully from the bottom, again using a pad where necessary, you will pop out the switch assembly and the surrounding bezel as a unit. Tug on this to get access to the switch/harness plug, which has a red button on the right side. The button is actually a catch, and you need to push on one end of it to release the harness from the switch. You'll now see a 7mm screw in the hole where the window switch was, remove it. 5. The instrument panel bezel is now removable; it's held in place only by friction tabs. Carefully lift the portion of the bezel just forward of the forwardmost, rightmost section (near the tray which you pulled the rubber tray from). With a little pressure, the friction tab will pop loose, and you can move around the bezel perimeter, popping the tabs loose as you go. 6. Adjust the steering wheel downward and you'll be able to lift the entire bezel assembly free. 7. The radio is in place with 4 7 mm screws, remove them and slide out the radio.

To re-install, just reverse the process.
In the beginning..

The pictures shall explain the rest.

Unread 01-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
budmanm3
2012 JK Wrangler 

Unread 01-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
smittycm
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for taking the time to post the pics. Pics truly are worth a thousand words. I'd choose a few pics like yours over written instructions every time.
Unread 01-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #4
cfp40

Great write up and pics. Thanks
cfp40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2012, 10:39 PM   #5
mattlago
2012 JK Wrangler 

Budman, my wife just bought me one of these for my birthday and I am going to install tomorrow or the next day. When is your birthday because I feel like I need to buy you a gift for writing up such a great install!!! My laptop will be in the passenger seat reading this as I do it. Thanks so much!

2012 JKU RUBI PALE TAN
mattlago is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
basecamper
2011 WK 

Budmann Great write up

So this is a 430N with a 6spd do all the lock pick features work? I have read about issues with the 730N and 6 spd but until now have not found anybody who has done it with the 430N
basecamper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
misfitJason

damn nice
misfitJason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #8
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Excellent write-up and those are great pics that make it easy to understand the take down procedure.
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #9
budmanm3
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittycm View Post
Thanks for taking the time to post the pics. Pics truly are worth a thousand words. I'd choose a few pics like yours over written instructions every time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfp40 View Post
Great write up and pics. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlago View Post
Budman, my wife just bought me one of these for my birthday and I am going to install tomorrow or the next day. When is your birthday because I feel like I need to buy you a gift for writing up such a great install!!! My laptop will be in the passenger seat reading this as I do it. Thanks so much!
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitJason View Post
damn nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Excellent write-up and those are great pics that make it easy to understand the take down procedure.
Thanks guys.. i know pictures always help me, so figured I'd help everyone out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basecamper View Post
Budmann Great write up

So this is a 430N with a 6spd do all the lock pick features work? I have read about issues with the 730N and 6 spd but until now have not found anybody who has done it with the 430N
I am having an issue with the Nav in motion. Everything else seems to work. The techs are working with me to figure it out, hopefully since I am somewhat local to them, I am going to meet with them and let them sort it out for the everyone's benifit.
Unread 01-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #11
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

great write-up & pictorial,

subscribed for future reference
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2012, 12:11 PM   #12
amarzano

Great Write up!

I am looking at this for a 2012 430N Wrangler as well. I do have a question..

I see on the Costal site a V.4, CH550 and C8? What are all these different versions? Which do I need? V.4?

Thank you again!

Alex
amarzano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #13
mattlago
2012 JK Wrangler 

Any thoughts on why after installed only had passenger speakers and only at half volume? I pulled out to read more but as all plug in to factory slots I cant imagine what I messed up. Any advice is appreciated

2012 JKU

2012 JKU RUBI PALE TAN
mattlago is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #14
cbboard

thanks for the write up. it was of great help! made it really quick!
cbboard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #15
kade
2012 JK Wrangler 

how do you remove the dash part around all switches under the radio ?
kade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
mirror , mygig , uconnect , upgrade , wiring harness

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.