2012 sport a/c issues... Help please - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2012 sport a/c issues... Help please

Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 06-19-2012, 06:50 AM   #16
Dale_K

You might try setting the air flow to the face position only rather than the blend setting. It really shouldn't make any difference but automotive A/C systems will open the outside air when they're in defrost or a blend setting that includes defrost. They do it for humidity control and to avoid window fogging. My GM pickup truck has a known issue with the recirc door operation and the fix is a reprogram of the HVAC control module.

I can't tell from your video whether the A/C issue you're describing is a recirc door problem or a total A/C shutdown where the compressor clutch deactivates. If it's just the recirc door you should still have functional A/C but slightly less cooling.

Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 09:09 AM   #17
lordmaniac
2012 JK Wrangler 

mine is always been on face only ...and this morning i jumped in started the jeep up turned it on high and REC face position and walla one block from the house complete shut down ...blower and cold air just shuts off for about 4 seconds and then back on ... and i do meen it shuts completly OFF ? ya Dale it is not just the door you can really tell DEAD silenice and no air ..and to me it seems it comes back kind of violently like a small surge when it reingages
Unread 06-19-2012, 09:51 AM   #18
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

a recall would be for a a issue that comes up ALOT. how many threads have i seen on a 012 a/c. ah ya this one. sounds like somethng is out of sorts. my wifs car need a new compressor. my mechanic that i have known a long time trust did the work 3 days later the a/c goes out again. no biggy take it back he gets another new part, the pully snaps off when he starts it. calls me, so we order a factory replacment now at 2x the cost. for the part. part comes in its from the same da^n company? same freaking box same part? but it has worked now for years. like Gump said" you never know what you get in a box of....
Unread 06-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #19
YJMCBoy
2010 JK Wrangler 

Definitely a/c only? I have heard of a blower motor that will shut down while the compressor clutch disengages to keep cold air in the car, or out of the car in the winter. The only other thing I can think of is your evaporator is icing up because you're low on refrig. If the fan can't push air through the coil it will fall off the fan curve and cavitate. I've seen auto blowers (and a lot of others) shut themselves down on internal motor overload, because they're not getting the cooling they need from airflow. then it slams back on when the motor thermistor switch closes. Maybe Jeep has an automatic recirc/fresh air setting that automatically shifts damper position to try and get more air over the coil? Or it requires dict static pressure to keep the damper position once it switches? That last part is just a theory but the engineering bits are true.
Unread 06-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #20
madmoto154
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have the same exact problem. Air has completely shut off for three-four seconds (blower and all) and then comes back on. Only 650 miles on it and its happened a few times... 2012 Wrangler Sport
madmoto154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #21
TxJeepers
2014 JK Wrangler 

Me too. 2012 JKUR. Manual air, manual tranny. Just over 2k miles. The other day heading out of my neighborhood, air blowing on a setting of medium- high and on fresh. When all of a sudden the fan blower stops and around 3 seconds later it starts again. Have not had it happen again. Yet.
TxJeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #22
CBWJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

Same here. I have a 2012 JKUR with manual HVAC controls. Sometimes the A/C will cut out completely for a few seconds and come back on again. For me, it seems to happen after going over a bump, but not after every bump, just once in a great while.

I've also noticed that when I turn the engine on, if the HVAC blower has been left on from earlier, the blower takes a few seconds to turn on. I figured this was normal, allowing the engine and critical systems to get running before starting accessory systems. I've also noticed that the HVAC blower will cut out momentarily if I nearly stall the engine (I a manual transmission).

I haven't noticed if the recirculation mode has turned on by itself.
CBWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 05:45 AM   #23
cruisemissle
2012 JK Wrangler 

My fresh/recirculate door does this too.

Every time I start the Jeep the door moves to recirculate. The button on the dash shows fresh (not lit) and I have to toggle the switch to recirc and then back to fresh for it to correct.

Then it randomly goes back to recirc.

Easy to tell when the soft top is on.

Haven't had the blower issue though...
cruisemissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 05:54 AM   #24
cruisemissle
2012 JK Wrangler 

I may try unplugging the motor and see if it throws a code. If not, I'll just set it to fresh and leave it unplugged.
cruisemissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #25
miltsjeep

We have same AC issue on 2012 Sport

This is an AC system control unit issue. We have experienced the same thing, with AC cutting in and out, on our 2012 Sport. We have only 4K miles on the Jeep. The dealer is replacing the AC control unit. Even for those of you that have taken yours to a dealer I suggest taking it back or to another dealer becasue they obvioulsy now know about this issue.
miltsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #26
lordmaniac
2012 JK Wrangler 

yup mine just did it agian im heading back
Unread 07-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #27
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

I think to all of you experienceing this, that video says a thousand words... You know full well that the Jeep won't do it with the Tech in it.... If you can get some evidence to clearly show what it's doing, it might save you several trips back home to mommy...
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #28
jamantste

Mine too. Cuts for a few seconds and then right back on. Add this to the ticking I have... Jeez.
jamantste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #29
lordmaniac
2012 JK Wrangler 

bump .... it did it again errr
Unread 07-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #30
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Anybody find the cause for this??? My buddy has a 2012, experiencing the same problems. 26 deg C today.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.