JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   2012 sport a/c issues... Help please (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/2012-sport-c-issues-help-please-1382586/)

uabmedic200 06-18-2012 09:48 AM

2012 sport a/c issues... Help please

First time I've posted, hope I posted in the correct spot. I have a 2012 sport I purchased new and currently have 3500 miles on it, I've noticed occasionally when running the a/c on high, it will cut off and stop blowing for approx 3-4 sec then start back. Also, a possibly seperate or related issue, the recirculating switches itself on and off, sometimes the indicator light changes with it but for the most part, it doesn't. I mainly run my a/c on fresh air, keeping the cab pressurized. When pressurized running down the road, the soft top stays pressed out from the pressure, but recently it's not pressurizing as well and sometimes not at all, obviously when it's changing itself back to recirculation. My local dealer has never heard of this problem. I hope I wasn't to confusing in describing the problem, any help or info to try and fix my issues is greatly appreciated. Thanks

paul84043 06-18-2012 09:55 AM

Wow, that's definitely NOT normal. I would imagine that the two problems are probably related.
Our A/C does not do what you're describing, nor does the recirc cycle like you're describing.
I think you've got an electrical gremlin. How often does it happen? The dealer will just tell you "cannot confirm" unless you can find a way to repeat it, or they get "lucky" and it happens while they're looking at it.
I do know that the blower system on the 2012's (don't know about the '11) has a delay, most likely due to the CANBUS communication system that the Jeep uses to function.
It might help if you can take a video of it and document it so the dealer has "proof" that it's happening...

uabmedic200 06-18-2012 09:59 AM

The a/c stopping and completely not blowing

uabmedic200 06-18-2012 10:01 AM

The ac stopping completely and not blowing happens maybe once or twice a week, the recirculation prob is ongoing all the time. I'm certain it doesn't pressurize near as good as it did off the lot. I guess the trying to catch it on video is the best idea/option so I do have proof or the dealer...

Butterjeep 06-18-2012 10:18 AM

Do you have automatic climate control or the manual version? I think the auto is only available on Saharas but I am not sure. If it is the auto version perhaps a sensor has gone bad?

uabmedic200 06-18-2012 10:31 AM

Not auto, manual. Any other ideas?

JeepCares 06-18-2012 11:03 AM

You said the dealer has never heard of it before. Have they actually looked at the vehicle, but were unable to duplicate the concern? That's where the video mentioned above might help. Did the dealer try to pull a code? The dealer can also contact Chrysler.
Where do you live? Is it really hot when the concern happens?

uabmedic200 06-18-2012 11:09 AM

Alabama, recirculation problems all the time, but now that I think of it, the ac jotting out temporarily only happens when it's really hot, shortly after cranking up on a hot day. Best I can remember that's the case.

222Doc 06-18-2012 11:36 AM

well its about as hot as it gets here in the USA. we will see today perhaps 117. by mid summer will be in the 120+ and a cool day 110-115. The a/c in our 012 has never shut off, never switched from REc/ to fresh or visa'versa. Not even OFF road in this heat crawling rocks! Now many a/c can shut off under WOT, more over the compressor shuts off until the head preasure drops.

Thats why Ford has a proving ground here, its freaking hot and if you want to find out how well anything will run in heat.

My rubi does not have climate control option and Yes i could have ordered it, not Sahara specific.

uabmedic200 06-18-2012 07:10 PM

Here's a link to a video of the problem. Any help appreciated.

SubAtomicGenius 06-18-2012 08:18 PM

IDK if this is your problem, but any A/C system will cut out if the pressure gets too high (from the hot oil) - normally when it is either overcharged or cannot cool down properly. This is not from my experience with automobiles - rather with heat pumps. Thought it might be worth mentioning.

Butterjeep 06-18-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 222Doc (Post 13738513)

My rubi does not have climate control option and Yes i could have ordered it, not Sahara specific.

Good to know, I prefer the manual to the auto anyway. Wow JK's are getting downright fancy, next thing you know they'll wheel themselves!

To the OP maybe try a different dealer?

lordmaniac 06-19-2012 01:39 AM

well hell mine TOO

yup my 2012 wrangler sport auto trans.... ac cuts in and out as well so far 7 times or so only 2000 miles on it ...driving along and BLAM it drops out blower and all and a few seconds later it comes back on i think a little harder then when it droped out then it planes out WTF ? ...so i took it to the dealer and they said .....well it hasent done it for us ..and you still got alot of warenty time ... well i just worried about this thing catching on fire when im out in the rockys not alot of help around ? we have got to get them to fix this !!!! i caint put a finger on what does it becouse all the times mine has done it its been different ..IE ...turning a corner ...hot out side ...in the rain....etc its random as hell ....sorry so long thanks guys.... Maniac ....

lordmaniac 06-19-2012 01:52 AM

PS... i dont think its getting as cold as it use too either ... sounds like a recall in the making ....

paul84043 06-19-2012 06:30 AM

ubamedic,

It looks like your system is having a hard time getting the diffuser to locate it's position the way it keeps moving. That's really weird.

The time now is 10:10 PM.