2012 Sahara or 2012 Rubicon? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2012 Sahara or 2012 Rubicon?

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 08-21-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
apocalight

2012 Sahara or 2012 Rubicon?

Hey all,

Well it looks like I might be ordering a new 2012 after all. Was going to get a 2012 Sahara, as personally I like the name of it more, and I can't seem to find anything the Rubicon has that the Sahara doesn't (that I care about).

That said, the 2012 literature is limited. I have seen the thread with options and pricing, but aside from the 4.10 gear option, what does the Rubi have over the Sahara models?

Thanks all!

apocalight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
Washi
Rockbiter

2009 JK Wrangler 

Lockers, Swaybar Disco, Tires, better springs...... check out the FAQ for all of these same style threads!
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________

/l ,[_____],
l----L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Washi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
Moto4x4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

In a nutshell, Sahara is a good setup for a mall crawler, rubi is a good setup for offroad use.
Unread 08-21-2011, 09:06 PM   #4
apocalight

Thanks for the info. I was just going off of what I could find on the 2012's, which isn't much at the moment it seems.
Unread 08-21-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
JKRolling
2010 JK Wrangler 

Will you ever take it offroad? If so, get the rubi.
JKRolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 09:22 PM   #6
apocalight

Yeah, thought it will be 90% DD. But the other 10% I'll be following some friends up some moderate trails. Probably no rock crawling though.

I assume I should get the 4.10 package then too?
Unread 08-21-2011, 09:28 PM   #7
jdunn501
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalight
Thanks for the info. I was just going off of what I could find on the 2012's, which isn't much at the moment it seems.
The 2012 Wrangler is improved over the 2011 because of the new engine and automatic transmission. Otherwise it is largely the same.

If you don't really care about the items that are different, that you have heard about then, my advice is to drive both and then decide. Both Sahara and Rubicon are better offroad then anything else on the market. Sahara may, because of the different front axle, tires, and suspension setup may have a more "car-like" feel then the Rubicon. If you plan on going on serious offroad trails, putting on a significant suspension lift, and putting much larger tires on it, then I would only look at the Rubicon. The Rubicon's Dana 44 front axle is stronger and can handle more stress associated with bigger tires.
jdunn501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #8
JKRolling
2010 JK Wrangler 

The rubicon will give you the best out of the box offroad performance. If you want to lift it and add bigger tires as jdunn501 stated, then I would get a base model sport and build up the drive train. Yes the d44 front is stronger than the d30, but not by much. The housing will bend just as easily as the d30, and if you go upgrading to bigger tires you'd lose the 4.10s you already paid extra for. I have no purpose for the Sahara. Just an overpriced jeep with a few creature comforts. The rubicon is slightly more expensive, but performance wise is worlds apart. Am I to understand that you can now get a rubicon with gearing other than 4.10?
JKRolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 10:22 PM   #9
apocalight

At least according to the options for the 2012 Rubicon, it's listed as a no-charge option for the automatic. Not sure what else would come as a choice, or perhaps it was just poor wording on Jeep's options breakdown.
Unread 08-21-2011, 11:05 PM   #10
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Why are you even asking? If you don't see the difference, why would you pay the extra money? It's a "no brainer".
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 11:12 PM   #11
tennistom1
2009 JK Wrangler 

If you have to ask then get the Rubi. It's like in golf, better over then under. Even if you only mall crawl it, you'll be able to negotiate higher curbs. You don't pay any penalty as a DD, it handles well on the hiway. Resale will be better. When on the trail you'll be able to pull your friends out. You'll be proud of your Rubi and need to buy a larger size jock-strap for your snatch to protect the wood, (around trees).
Unread 08-21-2011, 11:25 PM   #12
apocalight

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbloyer81 View Post
Why are you even asking? If you don't see the difference, why would you pay the extra money? It's a "no brainer".
Because I questioned what things are available that aren't listed on the material for the 2012s. Nor did I know what from 2011 stayed the same, and what changed.

Guess it's not cool anymore to use the forum as a resource?
Unread 08-21-2011, 11:32 PM   #13
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennistom1 View Post
If you have to ask then get the Rubi. It's like in golf, better over then under. Even if you only mall crawl it, you'll be able to negotiate higher curbs.
I bought a used 08 Rubicon that I think was never used off road. The guy I bought it from thought he would look cooler with the Rubicon on the hood, despite he had no idea what any of the extras did. I appreciated being able to get a Rubicon without the new car premium that hadn't been wailed on.
davidsonlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 11:51 PM   #14
apocalight

One of the things that turned me off of the Rubi was the hood lettering actually. Not that I don't appreciate what it can do, but it's enough for me to know it. I'd probably take them off to be honest. The first mod I did to the Saleen was strip the gawdy letters off the windshield.
Unread 08-21-2011, 11:54 PM   #15
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalight View Post
Guess it's not cool anymore to use the forum as a resource?
We're guys, and we will give people a ribbing. You've been a member of the forum for a little over a week and you're questioning whether it's no longer cool to use the forum as a resource to ask stupid questions? Take a minute and scroll through the topics in the "JK Wrangler Technical Forum." You'll notice that most of the topics deal with how to go about DIY customization and repair work. The guys in this forum are swapping out engines and suspension systems for fun. The guys in this forum actually use their jeeps in the manner they were intended, and yet, you come into the forum and say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalight View Post
I can't seem to find anything the Rubicon has that the Sahara doesn't (that I care about).
This tells me you are in the wrong place. If the Rubicon doesn't have anything you care about that isn't already in the Sahara, then do yourself a favor and buy a Liberty.
davidsonlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.