2012 rubi check engine light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2012 rubi check engine light

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 12-09-2011, 08:00 AM   #1
smooth9883
2012 JK Wrangler 

2012 rubi check engine light

Hi guys,

My check engine light just came on in my 2012 rubi after about 1900 miles. I got the codes p2097 and p2099. I guys it is saying im running rich? Should I take it in or just disconnect the battery and let everything reset? Is there a reason why I would be running rich?

Thanks for the help

Update:

I just got the jeep back from the dealer yesterday. They said they don't know why the codes are firing. They had me take the jeep home and they sent in a case to chryslers star team I guess. They said they would have me bring it back in once they figure out what's wrong and how to repair it.

So while I drive this thing as its running rich do I have them inspect my cat for any damage after? What other types of damage could I be causing? Do I have the right to have them give me a rental until they figure it out? I'm worried about causing even more damage.

Thanks

Last edited by smooth9883; 12-13-2011 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: Update
smooth9883 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

If it is in fact running rich watch out because that will destroy your catalytic converter overtime.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
kik

I would take it in. It's too new.
kik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2011, 09:00 AM   #4
durable1
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kik View Post

Yeah!
durable1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2011, 09:06 AM   #5
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

take it in, there is a reason stuff comes with warranties
Noxian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2011, 09:06 AM   #6
Muddy4DSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kik View Post
That was my first thought. Think it might have something to do with the thin air in Denver?
Unread 12-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
smooth9883
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm sitting at the dealer now. The only thing I can think is that there is either something wrong with the MAF sensor or O2 sensor. If not that something is going on with the computer. The air fuel ratio should be determined by both those sensors I believe so I'm not sure what's going on.

I guess I'd rather have it running rich than lean. I had problems with my C5 and it went into a secondary fuel table after I had knock. Really bad performance and bad gass mileage. I would assume the jeep has knock sensors.

Oh well, I guess I'll find out in a bit.
Unread 12-10-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
smooth9883
2012 JK Wrangler 

Here we go again!

Yesterday the dealer told me that the O2 sensor was reading to much carbon during the break in period. They said they reset the computer and all should be fine.

So on the way home last night of course the check engine light comes on with the same codes. I will have to take it in again and waste more of my time

Here's a few questions. Usually there is two much carbon created when the system is running rich. Does anyone know why the system would be running rich? Also, if there is carbon build up on the o2 sensor should they replace the sensor? In an airplane if you get to much carbon build up on a mag you lean the crap out of the engine and rev her up to get burn the carbon off. I'm not sure what is going on. What I really hate is how dealers solve only the visible problem. In this case the check engine light. What they should be solving is what is causing the problem. In this case why am I running rich.

I'll keep you updates.
Unread 12-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #9
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

kind of old school, but I would pull plugs and look at them. If its to rich I would be worried about the cats. Hows your MPG? Rich it should be lower. Might be a long shot here too... you idle alot or perhaps driving it to easy? I might be getting altimers here but i can not recall if these are DI(direct injection)? Other DI motors have a carbon issue too, its a documeted issue with about all of them, not so much 4 bangers but the V motors. Most of these they claim is because people drive to easy on them. Gm's respons I did not like was , " drive it like you stole it " really? have you gave it some Wot runs to blow it out?

In town I find that the autos tend to keep the rpms very low, here the speeds are 25-45 and the Jeep will if allowed to stays in 4th and even OD, rpms 1200+-. I find that I like the feel of 3rd at 25mph 4th at 45mph, it gets the same mpg. but keeps the rpm about 2k.
222Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2011, 06:18 PM   #10
smooth9883
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
kind of old school, but I would pull plugs and look at them. If its to rich I would be worried about the cats. Hows your MPG? Rich it should be lower. Might be a long shot here too... you idle alot or perhaps driving it to easy? I might be getting altimers here but i can not recall if these are DI(direct injection)? Other DI motors have a carbon issue too, its a documeted issue with about all of them, not so much 4 bangers but the V motors. Most of these they claim is because people drive to easy on them. Gm's respons I did not like was , " drive it like you stole it " really? have you gave it some Wot runs to blow it out?

In town I find that the autos tend to keep the rpms very low, here the speeds are 25-45 and the Jeep will if allowed to stays in 4th and even OD, rpms 1200+-. I find that I like the feel of 3rd at 25mph 4th at 45mph, it gets the same mpg. but keeps the rpm about 2k.
I would actually say I've been driving it a little to hard, but I do sit in traffic with it. Very curious problem and annoying. The MPG is horrible about 14.
Unread 12-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #11
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

14 is perhaps a little low but I have seen mine in that range if alot of stop and go, though around here its rare. intown i get 16.5-17, i could get better if i was more of a hypermiler.
222Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #12
guarnibl
2009 JK Wrangler 

If it's a lot of stop and go 14 is pretty normal, especially if you're in a lot of hills around the Denver area. When I was up there I was at around 8, lol.
guarnibl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #13
smooth9883
2012 JK Wrangler 

Updated
Unread 12-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #14
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Ahh, Chrysler quality strikes again.

Have you looked at the plugs? Do they have soot on them from running too rich?
Unread 12-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #15
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

and a bump so we can follow the op results.
pentastarguy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.