2012 Manual Regear 4.10 or 4.56 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-18-2012, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
mini-me

2012 JK Wrangler 

2012 Manual Regear 4.10 or 4.56

I know there are a lot of gear threads and I have read them, all. I have a 2012 manual and want to know if anyone has regeared to 4.10 or 4.56 while staying in the 32-33" tire range. I currently have 3.73 gears and 31.5" snow tires for winter which I will run every year, then 32.8" tires in the summer.

On the stock 29" donuts and 3.73 gears I thought the ratios were just about right, I live up a steep long hill in Colorado at 8,500 feet, with this setup I could put the jeep in 3rd gear all the way up the hill no problem. When I went to the 31.5" tires I have to change gears back and forth between 2nd/3rd.

If I go with 4.10s and the 31.5" tires that puts me right back to the sweet spot I was at before (or just a bit more power). With the 33"s its a little under where I was at for power. The other issue is that the current setup the reverse gear is so tall its nearly un-useable without being in 4-lo and I have to back up a lot on mountain driveways, so I'm looking to go to gears that allow me to use my reverse gear.

Thus, I feel like going to 4.10s would be good, and 4.56 could be great, or maybe too big and it will make 1st gear useless and the car hard to drive in traffic. I usually don't go over 65 mph so with 33" tires and 4.56 I think my rpms in 6th would be right at 2400, spot on.

I know folks say don't go to 4.10s from 3.73 its a waste of money except every day I drive this hill at least once, its 3 miles of steep terrain and not having to shift a zillion times and to be able to stay in 3rd is worth the regear cost plus whatever I go to will make reverse more usuable.

So I'm looking for input from folks that have regeard 12's with manual transmissions for input, I read all the 07-11 related threads but the new engine is a different animal.

thanks

2012 Sport in DCR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-18-2012, 10:52 AM
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

It is a different animal, but the change from lower ratios to higher ratios will still achieve the same thing.

Me, I would go with the 4.56s. the 4.10s is a very small change and you don't leave yoruself any room for a tire change without being back in the same boat again.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-18-2012, 10:54 AM
DrHolliday
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-me View Post
I know there are a lot of gear threads and I have read them, all. I have a 2012 manual and want to know if anyone has regeared to 4.10 or 4.56 while staying in the 32-33" tire range. I currently have 3.73 gears and 31.5" snow tires for winter which I will run every year, then 32.8" tires in the summer.

On the stock 29" donuts and 3.73 gears I thought the ratios were just about right, I live up a steep long hill in Colorado at 8,500 feet, with this setup I could put the jeep in 3rd gear all the way up the hill no problem. When I went to the 31.5" tires I have to change gears back and forth between 2nd/3rd.

If I go with 4.10s and the 31.5" tires that puts me right back to the sweet spot I was at before (or just a bit more power). With the 33"s its a little under where I was at for power. The other issue is that the current setup the reverse gear is so tall its nearly un-useable without being in 4-lo and I have to back up a lot on mountain driveways, so I'm looking to go to gears that allow me to use my reverse gear.

Thus, I feel like going to 4.10s would be good, and 4.56 could be great, or maybe too big and it will make 1st gear useless and the car hard to drive in traffic. I usually don't go over 65 mph so with 33" tires and 4.56 I think my rpms in 6th would be right at 2400, spot on.

I know folks say don't go to 4.10s from 3.73 its a waste of money except every day I drive this hill at least once, its 3 miles of steep terrain and not having to shift a zillion times and to be able to stay in 3rd is worth the regear cost plus whatever I go to will make reverse more usuable.

So I'm looking for input from folks that have regeard 12's with manual transmissions for input, I read all the 07-11 related threads but the new engine is a different animal.

thanks
The 2012 manual has a slight higher over drive ratio then the older 07-11's. Based on that alone I'd go with the 4.56. If you ever have any plans to go bigger I'd go 4.88.

2011 JK Rubicon 2 door 6-speed manual, 3.5" Rock Krawler Suspension lift, 1.25" Daystar body lift, 40x13.50R17 Nitto Mud Grapplers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old 01-18-2012, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
mini-me

2012 JK Wrangler 

I'll "never" go higher than 33" tires... well, we all know what that means right. But, I highly doubt bigger is in my future at least not for a long time. Sounds like 4.56 is winning. That was my guess too, I'd rather have more power going up my hill than be stuck again shifting back and forth... I have some really steep curves I drive every day.

2012 Sport in DCR
post #5 of 13 Old 01-18-2012, 12:44 PM
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

I've never talked to anyone, on the internet or in person, who told me "Gee, I wish I had gotten a lower gear ratio".

Go big. It pays in this case.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-18-2012, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
mini-me

2012 JK Wrangler 

I went a little too big on my TJ. I had 33" tires and I went to 4.88 with the 5speed. The ratio was actually fine, but I had never ending drive shaft vibes from the increase in spinning speed. I went thru heck with front/rear shafts, balancing, etc and never got it right. That was the only drawback of the higher gears. I wish maybe I had gone 4.56 and I think that is where I'm heading on this jeep.

2012 Sport in DCR
post #7 of 13 Old 01-18-2012, 11:12 PM
jc97xj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I went a little too big on my TJ. I had 33" tires and I went to 4.88 with the 5speed. The ratio was actually fine, but I had never ending drive shaft vibes from the increase in spinning speed. I went thru heck with front/rear shafts, balancing, etc and never got it right. That was the only drawback of the higher gears. I wish maybe I had gone 4.56 and I think that is where I'm heading on this jeep.
This doesn't make sense unless you put in new driveshafts and they weren't balanced correctly.
4.56 vs 4.88 will turn the driveshafts the same revolutions at a different road speed. (say 3000 rpm at 30 vs 3000 at 25).
Something else was going on besides a gear ratio change.

04TJ X
12JKU Rubi
post #8 of 13 Old 01-19-2012, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
mini-me

2012 JK Wrangler 

Sure it makes sense. The only change I made was the re-gear. By going from 3.73 to 4.88 my driveshafts were spinning 30% faster, so at 55 they were spinning as fast as they used to at 70 or so. I had them balanced and rebuilt and it was better, but I never got rid of the vibes totally. Tried a few different shops a number of times. Something else wrong, maybe. But it was related to the gear change for sure and the vibe went away when the front shaft was removed. But it was a sympathetic vibe in that it would oscillate back and forth from front to rear of Jeep, sounds weird but it did. Regardless, don't think I'll have that problem this time. I spent a lot of time trying to track down that vibe though.

2012 Sport in DCR
post #9 of 13 Old 01-19-2012, 01:03 AM
ozjeep

2011 JK Wrangler 

I'm considering the same change although I have a 2011 and don't live in a super hilly place. I think I may go with 4.56s.

2011 Wrangler JK
post #10 of 13 Old 01-19-2012, 01:38 AM
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Doublepost. sorry.

My 98 XJ "Zap" Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1988 Jeep Comanche 4x4 Longbed - POS
post #11 of 13 Old 01-19-2012, 01:38 AM
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Sure it makes sense. The only change I made was the re-gear. By going from 3.73 to 4.88 my driveshafts were spinning 30% faster, so at 55 they were spinning as fast as they used to at 70 or so. I had them balanced and rebuilt and it was better, but I never got rid of the vibes totally. Tried a few different shops a number of times. Something else wrong, maybe. But it was related to the gear change for sure and the vibe went away when the front shaft was removed. But it was a sympathetic vibe in that it would oscillate back and forth from front to rear of Jeep, sounds weird but it did. Regardless, don't think I'll have that problem this time. I spent a lot of time trying to track down that vibe though.
Actually, if you change gear ratios in your axles, the driveshaft moves the same speed. But the axle gears were changed, making the axle shafts and wheels go faster and the driveshaft stay the same.

My 98 XJ "Zap" Build Thread

1988 Jeep Comanche 4x4 Longbed - POS
post #12 of 13 Old 01-19-2012, 02:49 AM
DrHolliday
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerzap

Actually, if you change gear ratios in your axles, the driveshaft moves the same speed. But the axle gears were changed, making the axle shafts and wheels go faster and the driveshaft stay the same.
I know what your trying to say, but for what was mentioned its irrelevant. He was talking about at a given road speed ( wheel speed) his drive shaft was spinning faster. And it was.

2011 JK Rubicon 2 door 6-speed manual, 3.5" Rock Krawler Suspension lift, 1.25" Daystar body lift, 40x13.50R17 Nitto Mud Grapplers

post #13 of 13 Old 01-19-2012, 07:56 AM
Spike6901
1997 ZJ 

I have delt with this on many Jeeps and full size rigs and over the years, I have discovered that selecting the ratio to get you back to the 'stock' overall ratio is not the way to go. Go one step lower (higher number ratio) than what gets you close to stock.

Why? Almost everyone adds some sort of modifications that increase weight from bumpers, to dual batts, to high lift jacks. Simply adding offroad lights can increase your wind drag significantly depending on location, and keep in mind that the larger tires take more torque to turn that the stockers. Throw in your stuff and some people on a trip and you need the deeper gears.

Add in the factor of the new high revving engines that are MORE efficient at a little higher RPM than the old school push rod engines and it is my opinion that you want to go with deeper gear.

'17 JKU: Lift, Armor, 33's, more...
'14 WK2: Stock for now
'97 ZJ: Lift, exhaust, 31's, more...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.