2012 JKU to JKUR axle swap question. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2012 JKU to JKUR axle swap question.

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-15-2013, 01:42 AM   #1
HAFICON

2012 JK Wrangler 

2012 JKU to JKUR axle swap question.

So I have a friend who is about to upgrade to 60s front and rear in his JKUR it has 4.10 stock gears. So he is willing to let me pick up both complete assemblies for 1000 bucks plus my stock Dana 30 and rear 44 along with an AEV Pro Cal.

So my Jeep is a 2012. His is a 2008 super low miles something about 15k, that is a bit less than I have on my 2012. He needs my axles installed back in his Rubicon till the shop finishes building his Dana 60s. So I will need an AEV pro cal for his I already have one for mine.

I am going to order the rubicon wiring for the lockers and the OEM button panel he wants to keep that I sure ain't gonna complain.

But basically I can do the axle swap on both that is no problem. Once I pull my axles and install in his Jeep all I should have to do is program in the 3.73 with the pro cal and he can drive away correct?

No extra configuration or anything is there?

I also already have a Pro cal for mine so I can change my computer form 3.73 to 4.10.

My rear D44 has an LSD. Basically before I tare into this I want to make sure I have everything I need.

Thanks for the info hopefully I can get this done next weekend.

4.88's and TNT truss.
My build thus far.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...tures-1509366/
HAFICON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
HAFICON

2012 JK Wrangler 

Anyone?
4.88's and TNT truss.
My build thus far.
Unread 06-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I don't know bud. 1000$ + your diffs ProCal and you do the work. Definitely not worth it just to get to 4.10 gears. For all that time and money why not just swap out to 4.56 or 4.88 in your D30/44 stock axles. The D30 housing is the same strength as the D44. I don't see you really gaining anything here.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
HAFICON

2012 JK Wrangler 

Well it is the gears and the stock rubicon front and rear locker.. I have checked with 3 shops here for a regear to 4.56 is about 1800 per axle..
4.88's and TNT truss.
My build thus far.
Unread 06-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAFICON
Well it is the gears and the stock rubicon front and rear locker.. I have checked with 3 shops here for a regear to 4.56 is about 1800 per axle..
Keep checking around. Up here in Canada my dealer will do both for $1900 if I supply the gears. Most guys in the US say they can get it done for less then that for both axles including parts.
As for lockers you are way better off with aftermarket. You will need the harnesses the switch panel and then you will have $100 trip to the dealer to reflash the computer to activate the lockers. Not as easy as swapping parts.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
Unread 06-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
HAFICON

2012 JK Wrangler 

Well here in Mass. prices are 3 times what you would expect talked to 2 Jeep dealers they will not do a re gear period. Out of the only 3 4wd shops with in 4 hours drive time one way the best I have found was at Elias 4wd center they were 1250 per axle plus cost of gears that is about $500 per axle. so looking right at 3k for a re gear. No back in Va. at Starr motors Jeep dealer they quoted me around 1600 for a full re gear.
4.88's and TNT truss.
My build thus far.
Unread 06-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #7
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

I'd pay $1000 for the D44 Rubi front/rear no prob. You're getting a D44JK front, lockers, and a regear with no work. Simple bolt-in and run a locker harness, no regear/locker labor in a shop? Too easy.

Also note that your buddy could turn around and sell the axle assemblies for double that easy. Plus you won't get jack **** for the D30JK axle and you might get $500 for your rear D44 Non-Rubi axle. I'd take the deal and run.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
HAFICON

2012 JK Wrangler 

Thinking about it. I had a 3 bay shop with car lift air running water all for free use anytime I need it here on base. That an I have all the tool I could need. Going 3.73 to 4.10 is not really a big improvement. I'm not doing it for the gears although it is a good perk I am doing it for the lockers. I know the stock Rubicon lockers are not the best you can get but for what I do they will be perfect.

Front and Rear Axles $1000
AEV Pro cal (for him) $150
Rubicon Switch pod OEM $49
Rubicon Locker Wiring OEM $99

Total cash invested $1298.00

Labor cost is all on me and I am bored with nothing better to do on weekends so it will be a fun project.
4.88's and TNT truss.
My build thus far.
Unread 06-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

Thats a toughy man....going from 3.73 to 4.10 on a '12 just doesnt seem worth it.......but then again you are getting the D44 front with e-locker and rear e-locker....then again its an '08, and you dont know what kind of abuse its taken...and in all honesty the stock D44 and D30 are not much different (just smaller ring/pinion setup). I'd really torn on this.......the newer D30/44s that Jeep uses are supposed to be a bit stronger than the older ones.

The e-locker wiring really is simple...its a pos/neg setup you could make yourself....but I seem to remember the wiring kit through mopar is kinda pricey.

Tough call man, not sure I'd do it, but let us know which way you go.
LVCapo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #10
HAFICON

2012 JK Wrangler 

The 2008 has 14,092 miles on it Garage kept never drive in the winter, still has stock tires from 08 no lift no real mods to speak of yet... I am pretty sure there has been no abuse. Current owner bought it new. Made a few road trips and normally drives his F-250.
4.88's and TNT truss.
My build thus far.
Unread 06-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #11
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

The wiring is not cut and dry if you want to run the factory switches. Last I heard the harness and switch panel is in the $250-300 range plus the $100-150 reflash. The lockers are controlled through the computer unless you run a toggle switch then its a simple pos/neg. The E-lockers are not worth the hassle.

As far as gears there are a number of venders on here that offer Yukon full gear sets front and rear with master instal kits for under $700. Check Quadratech as well.

The D30 housing, Cs, drive u joints, and knuckles are the same as the D44 only the pumpkin is a little bigger and of course the internals. Housing strength is identical.

Totally up to you. Just my .02.
Unread 06-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #12
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

If you do a search, there was someone else on here that was gonna do the same swap but changed his mind to due to cost. For him it was cheaper to do a gear swap. If you are handy and have the availability of tools you could do the gear swap yourself.
Cost parts $700 total.
For another couple hundred you can add good quality real lockers.
Unread 06-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #13
HAFICON

2012 JK Wrangler 

Well I am happy with the 3.73s that is in the Jeep now it has all the get up and go I need even with 35's. I might just look into Sleeve&Gusset or Truss and locker the front. Just labor cost here at a shop is ungodly high. I am handy have 2.5 years diesel tech school, with hydraulics. I know none of that allies to Jeep but I am pretty handy and have all the tools I could possibly need. Just I have never messed around with gear mesh before. Going to rear up on it, so If I install a locker I will be bale to reset backlash.
4.88's and TNT truss.
My build thus far.
Unread 06-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #14
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

Check out the Artec D30 armor kit.
LVCapo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #15
HAFICON

2012 JK Wrangler 

I love that kit.. I really would like to have it but same as before labor cost up here $$$$$.. .... One shop up here Endangered Species Jeep, told me straight up they don't want to install it. The other did quote but was just over $1000 in labor alone to weld on. Right now I am looking at having Sleeve and Gusset install best price so far is $950 in labor plus parts and that is if I pull the axle assembly and bring it to then.
4.88's and TNT truss.
My build thus far.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.