JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   2012 JK Smoke on startup (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/2012-jk-smoke-startup-1339180/)

gonoles 03-06-2012 04:45 PM

2012 JK Smoke on startup

Had my 2012 JK do something odd to me today.
I started it and backed it out of my shop and cut it off. (it ran for about 15 seconds or so)
5 hours or so later I started it back up to move it back in, and it made a rather large cloud of blue smoke (large enough that I saw it through the rear view mirror without paying attention to look for anything). It went away and I shut it back off after 30 seconds or so. I started it back up and revved it up to about 4 grand and let it back off. Condensation came out, followed by another puff of blue smoke.
The other day I drove it somewhat hard (though not really, highest rpm was around 4 grand and highest speed around 65) for about 5 or 10 min. I then got out of the vehicle and smelled burning oil.
I changed the oil about 1,000 miles ago and havent smelled anything before. I checked the oil today and I've lost a quart in those 1000 miles. I know they say they should use some oil until theyre broken in good. Mine has 2300 miles, but is really racking up the hours carrying mail, being a RHD JK.

Anyone had theirs do any smoking on startup?
Ill post pics soon of my jeep.

Hammer_JKUR 03-06-2012 04:52 PM

Nope. I don't like that oil is getting past your rings, not on today's engines, and you are way past break in. I would be a bit concerned, but not THAT concerned, you have 33k miles of warranty period left.

-Hammer

gonoles 03-06-2012 05:01 PM

Very true. I'm used to my old stuff here smoking and leaking, but not a new Jeep I've had for a few months. Its never done it before, and I havent had it do it since. Im letting it sit overnight and seeing whats going to happen tomorrow after everything settles. I figure if it does it again ill take it to the stealership. It wouldnt bother me so much if it wasnt my money maker on my route. I was going to sell my Cherokee, but I think Ill keep it around, if it gets worse I might need it.

Too bad they dont still put 4.0L's in them anymore. Gotta love the old straight 6. My cherokee has 210,000 miles and well over 14,000 hours on it at least, and it doesnt smoke. Lifters rattle like hell, but oh well.

awinski 03-06-2012 05:20 PM

i know in diesel this blue smoke is a sign of o-rings burning up. no idea if this applies to gas engines

gonoles 03-06-2012 05:33 PM

Yeah, it works the same for gas and diesel, weak oil scraping rings in the pistons. I would think, however, if the rings were weak, it would be smoking more and all the time. It beats me what in the world is going on with it. If it gets worse, yeah it is a warranty covered issue, but I dont want to be out of my RHD work vehicle while they mess around taking their time working on it. If it wasnt what I used to make money, it wouldnt be such an issue. I bought a new Jeep to replace my old cherokee so I wouldnt have to worry about it.

tskeen 03-06-2012 05:48 PM

My experience with newer cars...my JK.. wife mercedes...09 Porsche Cayman..with dfi engine. If you start any of them and run them for a few seconds...like backing out of the garage...and turn the engine off..then return a short time later on start up they will usually blow out a plume of smoke. I don't know why. Probably something to do with a cold start-up map the car uses to reduce emissions at start up...idk. I would not worry if I were you. Now if it were to smoke after running the car up to operating temp...shutting off and restarting...then worry and seek answers. I do believe it's more of a unburned fuel burning/smoking instead of oil. I am not a mechanic. Just my 2cents.

gonoles 03-06-2012 05:57 PM

I kinda wondered about that too. Kind of like a cold start fuel mixture prime that wasnt burned out all the way. Like I said, I havent been able to get it to do it again from operating temp, so hopefully its nothing.

LIJeepJC 03-07-2012 06:12 AM

Do you or did you also experience that infamous tapping noise too? If so did you get it fixed or just left it?
The reason why I am asking is because the more I've read about this the more I feel this noise is caused by weak lifters. In your case if you didn't fix the problem and ran it like that, then you could possibly be looking at worn valve guides. This blue smoke on start up you are talking about is a sure sign of that. If it were p-rings than you would see the blue smoke all the time. Very interesting ........

Millermagic 03-07-2012 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tskeen (Post 13188664)
My experience with newer cars...my JK.. wife mercedes...09 Porsche Cayman..with dfi engine. If you start any of them and run them for a few seconds...like backing out of the garage...and turn the engine off..then return a short time later on start up they will usually blow out a plume of smoke. I don't know why. Probably something to do with a cold start-up map the car uses to reduce emissions at start up...idk. I would not worry if I were you. Now if it were to smoke after running the car up to operating temp...shutting off and restarting...then worry and seek answers. I do believe it's more of a unburned fuel burning/smoking instead of oil. I am not a mechanic. Just my 2cents.

We have a 5.4 Ford that does the same. If it runs for less than a minute, it will smoke on restart.

Also had an 04 TJ that, if it ran for less than 15 minutes, wouldn't start. The only way to get it to start was to hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank it for a minute straight. It was under warranty so if the starter gave up the ghost ... oh well.

Our 08 JK started DRINKING oil at 30k miles.

kik 03-07-2012 11:51 AM

You have 2300 miles and already burned 1qt in 1,000 miles, you're pushing oil through the rings. It's not going to do it on a warm or hot engine where you'll see it. When it sits overnight it will leak through and burn at start up. There have been problems with some 3.6's where the heads had to be replaced. Even though Chrysler believes it's acceptable to burn 1 qt every 1,000 miles you might be pushing past that. I would take it in.

gonoles 03-07-2012 09:07 PM

I have a light tick as its running, very light. It is about as frequent as one tick per half second or so at idle. Its only one solitary tick every time, not like some engines Ive had where you can hear all the lifters rattling, or my old air cooled VW where you can hear the pushrods. I dont know if this is a normal 3.6 thing or not. I started the jeep a few times today, no smoke what so ever. Hopefully i never see it again. Next time I do, its going in to be looked at. Gotta keep a check on my oil to see if consumption changes. Have about an 800 mile road trip coming up in a few weeks, I figure this will be a good way to check oil useage.

gonoles 03-07-2012 09:09 PM

Also, kik, it has only ever blown smoke once, and when I did a cold start on it this morning after it sat all night, it did not smoke. I also do not hear the pre-oiled lifter rattle on startup like some of my older vehicles (especially fords it seems, my 72 F100 likes to rattle for a second or so waiting for the oil pressure to come up).

The time now is 04:39 AM.