2012 JK Mileage Calculation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2012 JK Mileage Calculation

Road Race Motorsports Fuel Calibrator for the 2007-2011 JKIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-09-2014, 09:53 AM   #1
Bockwinkle
2012 JK Wrangler 

2012 JK Mileage Calculation

I purchased a 2012 JK with 743 miles on it with the following options:
3.73 gears
6spd manual
connectivity package
AC & soft top

It came with a set of 17" sport wheels with 255/75/r17 tires off of a 2012 Sport S JK.

I only have 1200 miles now and have synthetic oil in it.....the trip computer says I am averaging 17.6mpg since my oil change.

The ECU still thinks I have 225/75/r16s on it.....doing a little conversion math I am only turning 629 revolutions per mile instead of 689 revs per mile...or at an indicated 60mph I am actually travelling 65.7mph.

Gas consupmtion is gas consumption....but driving at a steady 60mph for an hour I would actually travel an extra 5.7 miles. Am I correct in assuming the displayed 17.6 mpg would actually be 17.6*1.09 = 19.3mpg? That would be assuming the figure was correct in the first place even though several people have indicated it reads low. So I might even be pushing 20mpg.

Sound right?

Bockwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #2
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Sure and you could hit 26mpg with 315 70 17's using that logic. You need to get a recalibration unit like a ProCal to re set the tire size for the ECU .Your still in stock tire size range so it won't be off by much ,but it is a worthy investment. You could always hand calc the mpg when filling the tank vs miles traveled as well. Your dealership may even do this for you as well but there are other functions with the ProCal that you may find useful.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #3
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

I would opt and get the ProCal. The dealership will typically charge to recalibrate for larger tires. As for hand calculating, You will need to find the percentage difference between the stock tire size and current size and remember to add that to the miles traveled before you calculate. I usually have to add about 17-20 extra miles when I hand calculate since I havn't corrected for tire size yet.
Unread 01-09-2014, 02:26 PM   #4
Rammer500
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, That sounds right as you are traveling further than the Odometer is indicating.
99 TJ 4.0 5 Speed Sport, 2.5" Rough Country Lift, 1.25 Body Lift, 1" MML, SYE and CV shaft,JKS Quicker Disconnects, 33x10.50 BFG Mud Terrains,4.56 gears, Super35 w/ Ected Locker, Warn 8274 and some other stuff.
2014 Rubicon Stock
Rammer500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 06:05 AM   #5
Michel347

That sounds right, and around what I get with mine.
Michel347 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 10:51 AM   #6
Andyjr
2012 JK Wrangler 

Another vote for the ProCal. I just put 35's on my JKU and I love how easy the ProCal is to adjust the tire size. If you have a smartphone there are many apps out there that have a GPS on them and it will tell your speed while driving.
Andyjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 01:12 PM   #7
Bockwinkle
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
Sure and you could hit 26mpg with 315 70 17's using that logic. You need to get a recalibration unit like a ProCal to re set the tire size for the ECU .Your still in stock tire size range so it won't be off by much ,but it is a worthy investment. You could always hand calc the mpg when filling the tank vs miles traveled as well. Your dealership may even do this for you as well but there are other functions with the ProCal that you may find useful.
and why wouldn't it be true for a 5' diameter tire? the jeep ECU knows how much fuel it consumed per unit of operational time.....and you know how much further you actually travelled based on the increased rolling tire circumference......aren't those the ONLY two factors to consider?

assuming the Jeep ECU is actually capable of calculating how much gas the jeep is consuming
Bockwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 02:20 PM   #8
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

that's about right for these things, but I admit it sounds like your trying to cut the problem with a scalpel when the closest result you can get is cutting it with an axe.
73azbronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 03:43 PM   #9
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bockwinkle View Post

and why wouldn't it be true for a 5' diameter tire? the jeep ECU knows how much fuel it consumed per unit of operational time.....and you know how much further you actually travelled based on the increased rolling tire circumference......aren't those the ONLY two factors to consider?

assuming the Jeep ECU is actually capable of calculating how much gas the jeep is consuming
Your assuming that the ECU could accurately compute the fuel mileage enough for you to recalculate it accordingly. This has already been debated to no end on this and every other JK forum. You NEED to get a recalabration unit so that at a minimum your odometer is correct as I do believe there are legal implications involved in tampering with it. If you ever decide to sell it.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.