2012 JK Firewall Access - LARGER HOLE - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2012 JK Firewall Access - LARGER HOLE

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 09-10-2013, 07:32 AM   #1
Motophile
2012 JK Wrangler 

2012 JK Firewall Access - LARGER HOLE

Have seen all of the threads and spots on the firewall for passing a hanger through and fishing the wires to maintain a water tight seal but I need a larger opening. I am trying to install a Ham radio and the power wire has a 1" or so wide plug. The antenna connection is over 5/8" in diameter. Is there a seal I can pull off and fit the connections through or is my only choice to drill the firewall? The radio is mounted on passenger side of console and the antenna is mounted to drivers side hood. Jeep is a manual so the clutch hole is not an option. How big is the hole behind the glove box? Suggestions?
Thanks, Ron

Motophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
ancientspear
2013 JK Wrangler 

If you must send it forward, and do not want to drill a hole, just cut your connection off and reattach it afterwards. Also, is there a reason why you wouldn't just run the antenna cable to the rear end and have the antenna mounted to your bumper or tire carrier?
ancientspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
Motophile
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientspear View Post
If you must send it forward, and do not want to drill a hole, just cut your connection off and reattach it afterwards. Also, is there a reason why you wouldn't just run the antenna cable to the rear end and have the antenna mounted to your bumper or tire carrier?
Thought about cutting the power wire but can't cut antenna wire. Then antenna is already mounted to the hood and I believe the signal is better there. I do not mind drilling a hole, just want to make sure it is the only option before doing so.
Unread 09-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

As a ham, I understand you not wanting to cut the antenna coax, but it is done all the time. Just use another crimp on PL259 at the radio connection. The power connection could be run from the cabin to the engine bay, assuming the wires are just bare copper on the battery end, then solder on the appropriate battery terminal. I agree, the front hood will give you the best performance because of the ground plane. A lot of CBers do not know about antenna performance and just mount it on rear bumper or tire carrier and accept lower radiation performance...but then, an antenna on front hood does not look cool. I run my 144/440 Mhz antenna in the center of my hood and I get great SWR and radiation...
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
Motophile
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks. I will go the cut and crimp route I am pretty sure. The antenna is same frequency as yours, dual band, Comet SBB-5. I did feel around for the boot under the glovebox and it feels pretty spacious, just not sure where it comes out on the engine side. Will be a breeze to run through the foam hole once I get over the coax clipping trauma.
Unread 09-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Not sure about 12s but my 08 has a 1/2 in hole on each side of the dash about 4in below the top that can be accessed by removing the plastic side panel. There is foam backing which is easy to penetrate.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Have you looked at the opening next to the brake master cylinder The OE wires run through it, but I remember it being large. Maybe there's enough room for what you need.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.