2012 JK Clutch Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2012 JK Clutch Issue

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
dlagr21

2012 JK Clutch Issue

Hi all, new to the forum here!

I have a 2012 JK 2 door wtih about 44000km on it.

Just this morning I noticed that the clutch wasn't operating properly. Rather than being as deep as it usually is and engaging rather early, it was loose for the top half to 3/4 of the stroke and only engaging near the bottom. It seemed to shift fine, and there didn't seem to be any noises or any feelings/vibrations out of the ordinary.

Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone have any advice on what to do/look for? I am going to take it in next week if it doesn't go away.

dlagr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Check fluid level and any air that might have entered into line, maybe bleed the line out?...that would be a start IMO.

Welcome to the forum!
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
dlagr21

UPDATE:

On my way home last night from work the slave cylinder went completely, and I was unable to shift at all. Had my Jeep towed to the shop since I was about an hour from home, they fixed it today under warranty so all is good in the world.

I've seen quite a few posts about the exact symptoms I experience yesterday but it seems like its mostly older Jeeps, crazy that it happened at 42000km on a '12.

Thanks for the reply!
dlagr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Meh, at least you didn't have your new six speed rebuilt after a few thousand miles like a lot of us!
Although it doesn't mean you won't later....
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

Just replaced my slave cylinder last Sat (37k miles on my '12). It's literally two bolts and a hose held on by a clip: take them off, pull the cylinder straight out, put the new one in, hook it up, then bleed. 45 mins tops, just watch out for that nasty exhaust (forearm burn)! The bleeding takes the most time... just gravity bled it. $90 later and 45 min of my time, like brand new. WHY DO THEY MAKE THESE OUT OF PLASTIC?!
Will be missed:
1999 "Deep Amethyst" TJ +3" on 33's
C2U5H is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.