2012 JK 3.6 Cylinder 2 Misfire - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2012 JK 3.6 Cylinder 2 Misfire

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
ctappan94
1983 CJ7 

2012 JK 3.6 Cylinder 2 Misfire

Hey all,

Tell me what to do here. I have had a ticking on the left side of my 3.6 pentastar for the last few thousand miles. I've noticed decreased MPG & significant power loss. I took it to the dealer a month or two ago & told the tech it might be a bad head. The tech said I was wrong & that it was "normal," but that if it persisted, I should bring it in again...(however idiotic that may sound). Recently, the CEL came on & I hooked an OBD scanner up to it, and it indicated 3 permanent accounts of "Cylinder 2 misfire." More research into it showed that this is the typical symptom of a bad head. Do I call up and yell at them about telling me I'm wrong without even checking anything? Or should I try another dealer..??

Thanks guys

ctappan94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
shaynes

I had the same issue and my dealer replaced it with no questions asked. I had another friend that had his fixed, too. Runs like a charm now!
shaynes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 12:39 AM   #3
ctappan94
1983 CJ7 

and furthermore, is it rational for the dealer to replace both heads? It's illogical to have one defective head that's acquired 15,000 miles on it be replaced with a head with zero miles on it... one with 15K & another with 0 is far less than perfect...
Unread 06-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

There should be basically no wear on a 15k mile head. Unless there are other problems contributing, heads aren't really wear parts. My other car is still running the original heads after 47 years, and the engine has never been cracked open.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctappan94 View Post
and furthermore, is it rational for the dealer to replace both heads? It's illogical to have one defective head that's acquired 15,000 miles on it be replaced with a head with zero miles on it... one with 15K & another with 0 is far less than perfect...
its not a matter of wear. It is a matter of defective parts( perhaps design) and in this case the heads on both sides. The next code If the new head is really fixed will be miss fire on 6#. The head they left on. Knowing that it may get by the warranty.
Unread 06-03-2013, 12:22 AM   #6
djm
2013 JK Wrangler 

I am far from an expert, and I am sure others will chime in and share their knowledge, but I think that it has always been the same issue, the head on the same side, cyl #2 that had the problem. Because of that it actually sounds like there was a manufacturing defect on the one head, it's apparently been corrected as no one that I know of, has had to go back with the same problem once the one head was replaced.

I have the issue on my 2012 JKU Sport, CEL came on, brought it in, because of the known problem and how many of those engines are out there, my dealer stocks the head, took him 3 days and had it done.

Dan - NJ
djm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
ctappan94
1983 CJ7 

ah ok so replacing just one is okay??
Unread 06-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #8
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm getting the CEL with P0306 as well, but it'll stay on for a day or two, then disappear for a couple days, then come back. The engine isn't suffering from any performance issues, nor is there any tapping sounds from the engine indicative of a bad head.

Dealership A declined to look at my Jeep because I wheeled it.

Dealership B simply cleared the code and sent me on my way. It came back a few days later.

Dealership C is telling me the PCM needs to be reflashed, which is what I told Dealership B to do in the first place, so hopefully this'll be the end of it. Right now I'm having to fight with them getting it covered under warranty. I'm not going to pay $130 to have some guy spend a couple minutes flashing a computer that I didn't break, nor is a maintenance (or even lack there-of) problem.
Unread 06-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #9
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctappan94 View Post
ah ok so replacing just one is okay??
Yup. They're not identical or matched in any way. Each side is a unique design.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #10
Orange1
2012 JK Wrangler 

Same problem here - ugh!

I have just discovered two misfires at #2 cylinder in my 2012 Automatic JKU with 7800 (road) miles. What a kick in the butt - I am wondering if they will warranty as I have extensive upgrades to the drive train??????
Orange1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #11
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange1
I have just discovered two misfires at #2 cylinder in my 2012 Automatic KJU with 7800 (road) miles. What a kick in the butt - I am wondering if they will warranty as I have extensive upgardes to the drive train??????
There is no reason they shouldn't. Downstream drivetrain changes don't cause a well known faulty head problem.

Not to say that some dealership service departments aren't jerks but they should cover it.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #12
ctappan94
1983 CJ7 

I've had some idiot techs, too...... In my 2011 GTI (before the Jeep), I told them my engine would stay running for all of 30 seconds then die.... They blamed it on my new fog light bulbs....... in actuality, the entire ECM and on board computer needed replacement...
Unread 06-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #13
ctappan94
1983 CJ7 

Well its in the shop today..let's see what happens!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.