2012 jeep wrangler... Lift kit? Shocks? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2012 jeep wrangler... Lift kit? Shocks?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-10-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
Filthy4x4
2014 JK Wrangler 

2012 jeep wrangler... Lift kit? Shocks?

Hey guys....

Its about time for me to pull the trigger on a lift kit/shocks. However I feel that every shop I talk to is giving me their own (BIAS$$$) opinion on which lift is the best one.

So you guys helped me with my tires/wheels (nitto trail grapplers) by the way 35x12.50x17.

So now I'm in need of your lift/shock suggestions!!

Here is what I am looking for: A 2.5"-3" lift that will not jeopardize ride quality or handling... I will be driving this rig on LA streets 90% of the time but will also like to be able to take it up to big bear/MOAB once in a while and let her tear up the trails with out a problem.

This is what I got so far:

Shocks:
1. Bilstein 5100
2. Bilstein 5160 (overkill) but look sweet
3. Fox IFP

Lifts:
1. Teraflex 3" kit with 4 arm suspension
2. AEV 2.5" lift
3. ROCK CRAWLER 2.5" lift
4. BDS 3" Coil Lift
5. (insert your favorite)

Since this is a somewhat $$$$ big purchase I could really use some/any advice!!

The car is a 2012 Wrangler Sahara 4 door with 3.73 gears

Filthy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
aftahour
2011 JK Wrangler 

I have the blistens 5100 and teraflex 3" lift on 32 and love it. My rig 2011 jku. 90% is dd like yours. Love it and no problems so far.
aftahour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2012, 11:44 PM   #3
Filthy4x4
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftahour View Post
I have the blistens 5100 and teraflex 3" lift on 32 and love it. My rig 2011 jku. 90% is dd like yours. Love it and no problems so far.
thanks!
Unread 07-11-2012, 05:03 AM   #4
agenbroad99
2008 JK Wrangler 

Check my signature... TF 3" with Bilsteins... A good combo on and off road. Only think I dont like is the TF "quick" discos... A real PITA!!
2008 JKUS Banks Monster, 4.88 G2 Gears, PureJeep Rocker Guards, AEV Savegre w/315/70/17 Duratracs, Body Armor Rear w/Tire carrier, Teraflex 3" with Bilsteins, Rough Country Bumper with Engo 10K install, Evo sleeves and gussets, oh yeah and Flat Fenders.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whKFbphWpvY&feature=player_embedded
agenbroad99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 05:54 AM   #5
DaK09

Teraflex 3 in is a good lift and is popular on this coast.

I went with the Rock Krawler 3.5 X factor. IMO get a little more flex with it and you get a little more lift with the RK's as according to them, "you are going to put extra stuff on the jeep like skids, rock rails and such so when you are done you still have your 3.5"s of lift. True or not I don't know but there ya have it.

Either lift has great street manners.

Shocks-have the bilstein 5100's with no complaints.

Tires- toyo's. Nice but freakin heavy

Gears- with 35's you will want to step up to 4.88's with a manual and at least 5.13 and highly recommend 5.35's for the auto.
DaK09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 08:38 AM   #6
Caribic-TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaK09 View Post
Teraflex 3 in is a good lift and is popular on this coast.

Either lift has great street manners.

Shocks-have the bilstein 5100's with no complaints.

Tires- toyo's. Nice but freakin heavy

Gears- with 35's you will want to step up to 4.88's with a manual and at least 5.13 and highly recommend 5.35's for the auto.
5.35 gears would be overkill, who is highly recommending this for the 2012 models if you want to run 35" tires?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
08 JKU Rubicon
98 TJ fullu locked
Caribic-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
jeeptrix
2009 JK Wrangler 

Question,

Do you have to have the dealer install the lift if you are to maintain your warranty or all of it, or how does that work? Can you do any brand of lift? Height? etc?
2009 Wrangler Sport JKU: 35" Mickey Thompson MTZ/17" Pro Comp Xtreme Wheels/ 3" BDS Lift/4:88 gears/ARB Lockers/ARB Air Compressor/Rugged Ridge Front Bumper/ Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch/Cold Air Intake/Borla Dual Exhaust/Tuffy Underseat Security and Trunk Enclosure/etc. etc. etc.
jeeptrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #8
ncb

Jeep can't void the entire warranty due to a lift. They can deny a warranty claim if it can be proved that the lift caused a part to fail. For example if a drive shaft failed due to the lift causing a bad pinion angle. Some dealers are more mod friendly than others.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #9
KenMarti

I got 4" ProComp lift, excellent ride and handling, running 35" Toyo MT's on 20" XD's, 4.56 G2 gears are perfect with the 35's, 90% street driven, trails and beach on the weekends. Pulling 2400 rpm's at 70 mph with 18mpg
KenMarti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #10
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by agenbroad99 View Post
Check my signature... TF 3" with Bilsteins... A good combo on and off road. Only think I dont like is the TF "quick" discos... A real PITA!!
I'm running the 3" Teraflex full-flexarm (8) lift kit. Really great lift, make sure you get the front adjustable trackbar for 3" and over.

Teraflex quick discos cannot re-engage without ratchet straps or finding a rock to crawl a wheel onto to line the damn things up!!! Love my ratchet straps, make lining up quick discos a cinch.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #11
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaK09 View Post

OP has a 2012, you're quoting pre-2012 3.8L gearsets which do not apply!!!
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #12
Filthy4x4
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzalachis View Post
I'm running the 3" Teraflex full-flexarm (8) lift kit. Really great lift, make sure you get the front adjustable trackbar for 3" and over.

Teraflex quick discos cannot re-engage without ratchet straps or finding a rock to crawl a wheel onto to line the damn things up!!! Love my ratchet straps, make lining up quick discos a cinch.
OK, So I've narrowed it down to the TF 3" lift..... now not sure which one to get can you point me in the right direction? and don't wanna have the sway disco problem like the above user

Thanks!
Unread 07-15-2012, 04:54 PM   #13
Filthy4x4
2014 JK Wrangler 

Bump
Unread 07-15-2012, 04:57 PM   #14
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

You can't go wrong with AEV or Teraflex. I'm running the AEV 3.5" lift and it rides better than stock.
Unread 07-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #15
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank View Post
You can't go wrong with AEV or Teraflex. I'm running the AEV 3.5" lift and it rides better than stock.
I agree, I've run Teraflex and am currently on a 2.5 AEV kit. Nothing but good things from these manufactures. RK ,Synergy,Currie,Claytons,JKS all are great choices as well. As hard as the decision may be ask yourself what your immediate goals and base the suspension around it.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
aev , lift advice , rock crawling , shocks , suspension lift

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.