2012 Jeep Power Dome Hood Problem / Recall - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > 2012 Jeep Power Dome Hood Problem / Recall

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Closed Thread
Unread 01-08-2014, 03:31 PM   #76
V-Powered
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysEdition04 View Post
My JK has a stock suspension/rake, the hood flutters on the highway.
Here's a 10second fix I learned years ago when I bought my '07 new.

Remove the center spring that pops the hood up slightly when you release the latches, then replace the screw...that's it- you're done. Stock 7yr-old latches, with my 2" lift and 33's on at highway speeds with crosswinds- the hood doesn't lift or BUDGE a millimeter. Big deal, you might have to "pull" the hood slightly to open, now that now spring isn't there...it's worth the slight inconvenience to me. You're welcome.

Unread 01-08-2014, 03:50 PM   #77
greensrogers

Had the ice block hit the window other day but not a big deal . Yes a birdbath in summer and a little extra scrubbing when washing but then again I was out playing at sor with temp tags . It's a jeep
Unread 01-08-2014, 07:58 PM   #78
Psycho-X-Jeep
Free hugs <<< just ask!

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Powered View Post
Here's a 10second fix I learned years ago when I bought my '07 new.

Remove the center spring that pops the hood up slightly when you release the latches, then replace the screw...that's it- you're done. Stock 7yr-old latches, with my 2" lift and 33's on at highway speeds with crosswinds- the hood doesn't lift or BUDGE a millimeter. Big deal, you might have to "pull" the hood slightly to open, now that now spring isn't there...it's worth the slight inconvenience to me. You're welcome.
I don't think you understood what this thread is trying to address.
Unread 01-13-2014, 12:49 PM   #79
stunt-man-hans

i have a lot of snow and rain where i live much more in fact than you probably realize. so during the winter months its almost a constant issue meaning its not something that happens once or twice a season. also as i previously stated if frozen solid there is no way short of using an ice pick or a heat gun your ever going to dislodge it from the hood manually. also as previously stated it has come lose and smashed into my windscreen twice this season already. when it happened to me i traveling at about 50 mph it scared the living crap out of me. to make matters worse it happened to my wife while driving on our road its a dirt road and washboarded like crazy due to the plowing in the winter and that vibration and the fact she let the car warm up a bit before driving it sent it flying. so to be crystal clear here, if it never came out or if i could easily remove it myself without damaging anything or it taking forever to do it would not be an issue to me.

i leased my jeep so i'm not drilling holes in the hood or replacing anything on the truck with my personal money. that would make zero sense seeing as its not my vehicle. this safety issue was brought to chryslers attention by me calling them on friday and by dropping it of at the dealer as per their request. i took personal pictures of the giant 6lb block of ice the service director at the dealership took pictures of the issue and chrysler has a case number and a documented case/ complaint of the issue on file now.

today i call jeep to touch base and let them know that per their instructions i dropped the vehicle off at the dealership on friday to have it looked at. long story short jeep doesn't seem to care at all. i was told to do one of three things. one go out and buy a new hood on my dime. btw, new hoods by the time it gets painted and shipped are quite expensive and as stated before i don't own this vehicle i'm leasing it so modifying it with my money is out of the question. two drill holes in the hood of a 39k dollar leased vehicle or three buy a tarp and cover it up lol. i live on a dirt road and covering up any vehicle that has mud and salt and dirt everywhere is a terrible idea it would scratch the paint to an obscene amount.

all feelings aside here of wether or not its right or justified to "whine" about the hood. fact of the matter is, it is a stupid design and one that given the right circumstances could pose a definite safety issue. not to mention it breaks state laws to drive with any ice or snow on your vehicle and like i said before its not something you can remove easily yourself before driving. so given chryslers response to me today i contacted a lawyer and i'm currently sending return receipt requested pictures and a letter to the dealership documenting the problem. i also opened a magmoss lawsuit against chrysler as i don't believe its up to me to modify or replace body parts that obviously have a design flaw.

please feel free to pm me any of you other moab/ call of duty jeep owners that are experiencing this issue maybe a large enough crowd will have chrysler at least come up with a fix for it or replace the hood altogether.
Unread 01-13-2014, 01:01 PM   #80
stunt-man-hans

sorry for the lengthly post.
Unread 01-14-2014, 04:37 AM   #81
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt-man-hans View Post
i have a lot of snow and rain where i live much more in fact than you probably realize. so during the winter months its almost a constant issue meaning its not something that happens once or twice a season. also as i previously stated if frozen solid there is no way short of using an ice pick or a heat gun your ever going to dislodge it from the hood manually. also as previously stated it has come lose and smashed into my windscreen twice this season already. when it happened to me i traveling at about 50 mph it scared the living crap out of me. to make matters worse it happened to my wife while driving on our road its a dirt road and washboarded like crazy due to the plowing in the winter and that vibration and the fact she let the car warm up a bit before driving it sent it flying. so to be crystal clear here, if it never came out or if i could easily remove it myself without damaging anything or it taking forever to do it would not be an issue to me.

i leased my jeep so i'm not drilling holes in the hood or replacing anything on the truck with my personal money. that would make zero sense seeing as its not my vehicle. this safety issue was brought to chryslers attention by me calling them on friday and by dropping it of at the dealer as per their request. i took personal pictures of the giant 6lb block of ice the service director at the dealership took pictures of the issue and chrysler has a case number and a documented case/ complaint of the issue on file now.

today i call jeep to touch base and let them know that per their instructions i dropped the vehicle off at the dealership on friday to have it looked at. long story short jeep doesn't seem to care at all. i was told to do one of three things. one go out and buy a new hood on my dime. btw, new hoods by the time it gets painted and shipped are quite expensive and as stated before i don't own this vehicle i'm leasing it so modifying it with my money is out of the question. two drill holes in the hood of a 39k dollar leased vehicle or three buy a tarp and cover it up lol. i live on a dirt road and covering up any vehicle that has mud and salt and dirt everywhere is a terrible idea it would scratch the paint to an obscene amount.

all feelings aside here of wether or not its right or justified to "whine" about the hood. fact of the matter is, it is a stupid design and one that given the right circumstances could pose a definite safety issue. not to mention it breaks state laws to drive with any ice or snow on your vehicle and like i said before its not something you can remove easily yourself before driving. so given chryslers response to me today i contacted a lawyer and i'm currently sending return receipt requested pictures and a letter to the dealership documenting the problem. i also opened a magmoss lawsuit against chrysler as i don't believe its up to me to modify or replace body parts that obviously have a design flaw.

please feel free to pm me any of you other moab/ call of duty jeep owners that are experiencing this issue maybe a large enough crowd will have chrysler at least come up with a fix for it or replace the hood altogether.
Well its a good thing you have the internet to tell us all the tale.

Hopefully somebody in the future will actually research their vehicle before they buy it and this will help.
Black 2011 JKU Rubicon/ 6spd w/5.13 gears/ 5.5" RK X-Factor Mid Arm (3.5") Springs, RRD Shocks/ Poly Inner/Outter Sleeves and C-Gussets/ Reid HD Knuckes/ 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" MB72s/ ACE Flat Fenders/ JCR Front Stubby Stinger, Rear Stubby Bumper and JCR Deluxe Sliders/ Warn 9.5 cti w/Syn line/ OR-Fab Swing Away Tire Carrier w/Fuel Can mounts

Oct 2012/Dec 2013 JKOTM

My work in progress:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/r...dated-2206865/

Couldn't have done it without Jason@KrawlOff-Road.com!!!
Unread 01-14-2014, 05:25 AM   #82
Prot
Gold Member

2014 JK Wrangler 

Can't you just take a garden hose and spray the hood until the ice comes out or melts, kind of like a person does to a frozen windshield?

I take it you don't have a garage.

Since it is a leased vehicle, turn it in and get one that has a normal hood. You probably won't have too much trouble doing this due to the reason you are wanting to exchange it.
Unread 01-16-2014, 05:26 AM   #83
bpz888
2012 JK Wrangler 

Jeep don't care!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpz888 View Post
I have a 2012 Jeep Unlimited Call of Duty and was wondering if anyone else had a water problem with there Power Dome Hood?

When it rains the front scoop on the hood holds water and has no way to drain. I first found this out when it rained one night and then froze, it was driving on the highway and this block of ice 28"x6"x1"thick bounced off my hood scoop and smashed into my windshield, luckily the windshield didn't break.

I think there should be a recall to put in a drain.

Finally fixed the problem by trading the jeep in for a Chevy. No more jeeps for me! What a joke they are!
Unread 01-16-2014, 05:35 AM   #84
MWV247
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Traded it in for a chevy -you were never a real Jeep person and never will be. Thank you for removing yourself from the club. Anyone that's gonna whine about ice and water in there hood needs to be slapped in the face. park your car in a garage. Heres an idea like most people spend an extra 10 minutes to look over your car and remove the ice build up. I wish I was there in person to slap you in the face for this garbage thread.
Unread 01-16-2014, 11:19 AM   #85
WhiteRavenRR
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWV247
Traded it in for a chevy -you were never a real Jeep person and never will be. Thank you for removing yourself from the club. Anyone that's gonna whine about ice and water in there hood needs to be slapped in the face. park your car in a garage. Heres an idea like most people spend an extra 10 minutes to look over your car and remove the ice build up. I wish I was there in person to slap you in the face for this garbage thread.
^^Hahahahaha! Classic!
Unread 01-17-2014, 11:31 AM   #86
BlkOpsRubi

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWV247 View Post
I don't usually comment on flaming but this just made me laugh out loud!
Unread 01-17-2014, 12:52 PM   #87
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWV247 View Post
I wish I was there in person to slap you in the face for this garbage thread.

Lol, WOOT!
Unread 01-17-2014, 01:02 PM   #88
stunt-man-hans

garden hoses freeze in the winter. not sure if your serious about that comment?

i did research before making the purchase. if i turned in my lease early i would get hammered if i trade this thing in i would have a thousands in negative equity. if i sell it privately it would be better but, who's going to want to buy a truck that has been in the shop 5 times for water ingress issues that still aren't resolved. its going to be hard to get top dollar which is what i would need to get out of this jeep.

look simply the fixes suggested aren't an option for me, my vehicle is leased. drilling holes in the hood or buying a new one altogether would put me out of pocket on a vehicle that isn't even mine plus when i turn it in it will be an issue. jeep only made 3,500 of these moab/cod jeeps it wouldn't kill them to help out their customers that live in areas where this actually is a problem.
Unread 01-17-2014, 01:12 PM   #89
greensrogers

I live in northeast Ohio and knew of the issue before buying my mw3 . A little extra time and prep during winter is all it takes 1o 15 heating up you can usually dislodge it or remove it if it's still in when you get where your going
Unread 01-17-2014, 01:25 PM   #90
HarryP33
2013 JK Wrangler 

Keep a bottle of anti-freeze in the back and pour some in the "swimming pool" each cold night after you get home. Should you have to do this after doubling down all that money? Of course not, but you won't have to drill anything. Don't worry about all that anti-freeze all over the environment... better to kill ourselves slowly through chemistry than getting whacked in the windshield with a block of ice :/
Closed Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.